Mobile Broadband Options in Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeannine

We plan to spend a couple of months in Canada.  We will probably change our Verizon voice plan to add Canadian coverage.  What is our best bet for internet access while we are there?  Are there any pay-as-you-go plans for mobile broadband?

Jeannine

Depending on where you are going and/or staying RV parks will have wifi.  However, not near as many Canadian parks have wifi as do US parks.  As for cellular service, likely a provider that utilizes Bell's towers would be best with Rogers ok in many areas, but poor in others.  Don't forget Canada is larger than the US and less densely populated so there are lots of areas that have poor tower coverage.

Ed

Hi Ed,

You've confirmed what I've suspected:  there will probably be lots of areas where we don't get coverage.  We tend to stay in provincial parks, which will not be likely to have wi-fi.  We may have to rely on internet cafes.

We plan to start in BC and drive the Trans-Canada highway at least as far as Ontario, with some wanderings off the route. 

Jeannine

Even at private parks where they advertise wifi, we have found that means there is a hot spot at the office, where you have to sit out on a picnic table swatting black flies or mosquitoes.  Since crossing back into Canada, most parks have been that way.  I do know that those framily who have come east the past few years mostly had satellite, and a few had 3/4 G wireless.  We've never gotten wireless as the price for a Canadian supplier is outrageous, and with only 6 month maximum stay allowed in the US, a US plan becomes expensive too.
  As for Provincial Parks, stay away from Ontario as they are way over priced for what you get, there are usually nearby private ones with full hook up for less than you pay for electric only.  We have been able to use Passport America, and plan on doing so again when we leave our daughter's for home tomorrow.

Ed

Ed, thanks for the warnings.  We will probably add Canada to our current voice plan and deal with internet access once we cross into Canada.  Say "hi" to Donna for me.

Jeannine

Most Lib's in Canada have wifi. We usually just park in the parking lot an log on. In the maritimes we did not have any trouble finding places to connect.

Dave

Agree Dave, plus many motels have unsecured sites that let you sit in the parking lot and connect.  That's ok for to check your email, but can be a pita if you want to be connected in the coach.

Ed

Hi:

There are definite challenges of cell phone and broadband services when you cross into Canada form the US or when you cross into the US from Canada.
I would like to see a company that provided services regardless of the boarder!
(oh to dream)

I echo the comment about provincial parks.
We do not use the ones in BC nor Alberta (BC parks do not have hydro nor water at your site).
For money - better off with private camp grounds.

hope the trip goes well - and have fun!
regards, pdq
(peter)

Dave R said:
Most Lib's in Canada have wifi. We usually just park in the parking lot an log on. In the maritimes we did not have any trouble finding places to connect.

Dave

Thanks for the tip.  Hadn't thought about the libraries.  Are you going to be in NC late summer/early fall?  We may be coming through your area around then and would love to see you.

Jeannine

Back
Top Bottom