Ham Radiio HF Antenna's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

w7co

Hi folks.  I am looking for ideas concerning installing an HF antenna on the 1999 National Tropical 36' MH.  Before the MH I ran mobile HF in my F-250 pulling a TT.  I used a IC706MIIG, AH-4 antenna tuner and 102" whip.  Worked pretty good once I quited the noise down.

I would use the 706 but doubt the tuner / whip is a good idea.  I would like to be able to operate while underway if possible.  So does anyone have any ideas that would meet my requirement.  Operating parked is no problem, so only looking for antenna solutions fore mobile ops.  Antenna ideas, grounding, etc.

Thanks

73 de Mike W7CO

Most low-band mobile solutions I've seen involve mounting whip antennas of the type you cite on the trailer hitch. (or on a bracket espically welded on for that purpose)  You can get a mount for a sway bar, Weld it on the hitch system at a distance from the actual hitch if you like,  these have hole in them just about the right size, (Right size is 3/8inch i'm not sure if the hole is 1/4 or 3/8 or larger)  larger plates can also be attached.  Welding is the option I'd like, if you can find a welder, but U-Bolts work too in many cases

Take a flat piece of steel, say 1 foot long by 4 or 5 inches wide, Drill out one end to hold your standard ball mount (and then use a grinder to shape that end to conform with the ball, neetness counts after all) Mount the ball (not the antenna) now lay the plate on any properly solid part of the hitch away from the actuall hitch point (Ie a cross bar or the back bumper if you have one (I don't) mark it and drill it for U-bolts to go over/under the bar, Bold it down (use locktighton the bolts please) and wire it up.  Do make sure it properly grounds to the frame

Personally.... I don't think I'll do lo-band while driving... 2-mtrs is about all I can really deal with (and I"ve a dual bander next to my driver's seat)  I am thinking of putting a nice little Ten-Tec in the front half-bath though

I can see John's point about working low band while driving a motorhome.? When I operated mobile 10M or 20M in the car, I nearly had a collosion, so I restricted operating if my wife was driving.? Operating a motorhome requires 150% concentration because of the size and weight of the vehicle and the unpredicable behaviour of car drivers around you.? Stopping in an emergency situation requires all your concentration and then some, which would be compromised if you were in a QSO and trying to keep notes for the QSL plus checking the road, getting directions from the co-pilot, listening to the directions on the GPS.........

What's your view on HF operation while driving the MH?

There is an FMCA Chapter? ?for Amateur Radio Operatorswhich you may want to look into joining as well.? See info below.

I've seen some mount the HF antenna on the toad, and connect the coax from the motorhome via the towbar connections.

FMCA AMATEUR RADIO  Chapter
Geographical Scope:? CAN, USA
Geographical Area:? International Area
?
Contact Information:
Ann Ester
P.O. Box 687
Conneaut, OH 44030-0687
Phone: 440-593-1821
Email: [email protected]

Chartered Date: 4/15/1981
Chartered Scope:? International
Chapter Web Site?
?
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ??

Thanks for the reply's.  I am not sure how I feel about driving the MH and talking.  I am involved with several truckers who I have worked all over the states.  They seem to be able to do it all right.  I was thinking I would get a Heil Travelor Headset to use with the 706.  Maybe go to vox.  I can see it would be a real problem if you were changing freqs, but I tend to stick to one 20 or 40 meter freq.  Less to mess with that way. 

Well until I come up with a suitable antenna it isn't a problem anyway.  hi hi.

73 de W7CO  Mike

w7co said:
Thanks for the reply's.  I am not sure how I feel about driving the MH and talking.  I am involved with several truckers who I have worked all over the states.  They seem to be able to do it all right.  I was thinking I would get a Heil Travelor Headset to use with the 706.  Maybe go to vox.

I will address two things here.  1: VHF FM work (which I do do while driving) is push the button and talk (or vox if you use a headset)  Low band you need to be concerned with frequency drift in many cases, thus you also need to operate the radio... With my Kenwood 2mtr/70cm rig there are several bells and whistles which I don't play with while moving.. I can start/stop memory (or vfo) scan while driving, and/or adjust volume and squelch,  but anything that reqires a fine touch... No way. This is why I don't want to do lo-band while driving.. And my wife, nervious nellie that she is, refuses to drive and is angry that I suggested RV driving school to her (I'm going to keep suggesting too)

Now: As for the headset...... Some states, the police will object to a headset... I have traveled through one (The officer was nice... Used the PA to tell me to loose the headset and did not pull me over) What I did do (this was a van which could have been converted if I'd have wanted) was install a pair of computer speakers behind the driver's seat such that for the most part only the driver could hear them..  Other arraingments of speakers might work as well.  This worked great  CB in one ear,,, 2mtr in the other  Oh yes.. since the speakers were common grounded... I used an isolation transformer on one leg (I think the cb leg) to avoid issues (since the CB lifted the ground on the speaker when in transmit... The 2mtr rig did not)

John,

>> And my wife, nervous nellie that she is, refuses to drive and is angry that I suggested RV driving school to her (I'm going to keep suggesting too)<<

Make sure she meets Jerry Ray at the QZ Rally.  He was my wife's instructor.  Be sure to bring up the subject with my wife while yours is there.  Pat and Ron's Wife Sam do most of the driving.  BG

>>Now: As for the headset...... Some states, the police will object to a headset... I have traveled through one (The officer was nice... Used the PA to tell me to loose the headset and did not pull me over) <<

Most states allow one ear headsets.  I frequently use a headset mike combination for the 2m/440 while on the road if I am driving. 

John

Jim has a couple of good suggestions. Chris (my other half) also does most of the driving. This leaves me free to navigate, read or be online while we're travelling down the freeway.

While we were at the Monaco service factory a couple of months ago, Chris attended a "women only" RV driving seminar put on by a Monaco employee who is a retired UPS truck driver. She came away saying that she'd learned some good tips. I was able to sit within hearing range of the seminar and I learned some stuff too.

Thinking aloud - I wonder if Jerry Ray would be willing/able to put on a mini-class for interested parties at QZ? Maybe your other half might not feel so intimidated if she saw other ladies attending.

Thinking aloud - I wonder if Jerry Ray would be willing/able to put on a mini-class for interested parties at QZ? Maybe your other half might not feel so intimidated if she saw other ladies attending.

I think that would be a great idea.  Maybe we could all benefit. 

James Godward said:
Make sure she meets Jerry Ray at the QZ Rally.  He was my wife's instructor.  Be sure to bring up the subject with my wife while yours is there.  Pat and Ron's Wife Sam do most of the driving.  BG

I plan on that James... I plan on that.  In fact his is the driving school I am suggesting to her

As someone posted... Hopefully he will attend QZ and do some training there

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom