Dogs not on a leash! Geez

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I think about bad dog owners and how they let their dogs run loose I often think of this.  Cover the dog with lard, axial grease,  etc. so that when Fido goes home the master will have a real mess to clean up.  Especially if Fido gets in the house before being noticed.

boatbuilder said:
Sometimes I think the dogs are better mannered than their owners.

Its sad that these conditions exist but its not terribly different that parenting people.  They'll get away with what they can and their nature will take over.  That applies to kids and dogs.  I've seen some horrible little monster children that I can't believe were allowed to become what they are.  It is hard to aim contempt in the right place but I don't blame the kids anymore than I blame the dogs.  It's how they were raised and parented.  Bad dogs, with a few exceptions, can likely be traced back to not notsogreat people.

vulcanbill said:
Its sad that these conditions exist but its not terribly different that parenting people.  They'll get away with what they can and their nature will take over.  That applies to kids and dogs.  I've seen some horrible little monster children that I can't believe were allowed to become what they are.  It is hard to aim contempt in the right place but I don't blame the kids anymore than I blame the dogs.  It's how they were raised and parented.  Bad dogs, with a few exceptions, can likely be traced back to not notsogreat people.

Well said.  We often get mad at the symptoms, not the cause.

vulcanbill said:

Very good point.  Having animals is like raising kids, you need to know how to do it!  And it takes work.

Im not bashing your thread but I too cant stand dogs in campground because some people wont control their animals.  They bark uncontrollably, and wont leash them, or pick up their pooh.  I love dogs and for many years raised and trained prize english setter quail dogs.  But leave em at home. 

vulcanbill said:

Well, the primary difference in my mind is that humans have the ability to rationalize, and therefore "choose" their behavior, no matter how awful.  Dogs are reverting to "primal instinct" and have no ability to feel empathy or rationalize, so the "bad" humans bother me more.

That said, your comparison is appropriate from a statistics stand point.  In the U.S., dog bites caused 500,000 hospital visits a year, while violent assaults from humans caused 1.35 Million hospital visits.  On a population normalized basis (hospital trips per human or per dog), the numbers are startlingly similar (450 per 100,000 for humans, 600 per 100,000 for dogs) I wonder if there is somehow a perverse correlation here? 

Mc2guy said:
Well, the primary difference in my mind is that humans have the ability to rationalize, and therefore "choose" their behavior, no matter how awful.  Dogs are reverting to "primal instinct" and have no ability to feel empathy or rationalize, so the "bad" humans bother me more.

That said, your comparison is appropriate from a statistics stand point.  In the U.S., dog bites caused 500,000 hospital visits a year, while violent assaults from humans caused 1.35 Million hospital visits.  On a population normalized basis (hospital trips per human or per dog), the numbers are startlingly similar (450 per 100,000 for humans, 600 per 100,000 for dogs) I wonder if there is somehow a perverse correlation here?

Dang, Mc2Guy, I have a statistics degree--This is good stuff.  I just wish I would have thought of it!

barrelslime said:
Im not bashing your thread but I too cant stand dogs in campground because some people wont control their animals.  They bark uncontrollably, and wont leash them, or pick up their pooh.  I love dogs and for many years raised and trained prize english setter quail dogs.  But leave em at home.

Using this theory, the same could be for some people with their children in campgrounds.  With animals, it just comes down to responsible ownership.  IMHO.

Here is my killer dog!  Right before we had our issue with the loose neighbor dog.

Attachments

• DSC04168.JPG
    DSC04168.JPG
    742.2 KB · Views: 80
WeatherWunder said:
Using this theory, the same could be for some people with their children in campgrounds.  With animals, it just comes down to responsible ownership.  IMHO.

And your station in life.  Frankly, I think my dogs add way more enjoyment to the lives of the people that get to experience them than do a bunch of screaming trolls flying through the campground on their bicycles.  :)  But if you're the parent (or grandparent) of those darling little monsters, they can probably do no wrong in your eyes.  My eyes see something entirely different.  :)

vulcanbill said:
And your station in life.  Frankly, I think my dogs add way more enjoyment to the lives of the people that get to experience them than do a bunch of screaming trolls flying through the campground on their bicycles.  :) 

Can I assume you have never raise any trolls then?  What an unbelievable comment...

Keep you dogs leashed, quiet, off my site and clean up their mess; and I'll keep my kids off your site and in bed by quiet hours.  Don't like my kids having fun during the day...don't come to a park that allows kids.

I wish Dogs could speak English so we could hear their stories about Humans...young and not so young... LOL    ;D ;D

I will always keep my dogs leashed but I worry about them barking too much.  I have a very bossy pug and I worry she will drive the campground crazy.  I want her to bark at things she should bark at but not at a leaf blowing or some bird a mile away.  So I am considering a bark collar and hopefully train her to bark when she isn't wearing it.

I think everyone finds a barking dog to be an annoyance occasionally.  Bark collars do work, however I have doubts that you will be able to train Fido to bark without a collar once he has been trained not to do so with the collar on.  Having said that, I have seen animals trained to do some pretty amazing stuff. 

What really gets me is those folks with a small dog on one of those retractable 20 foot leads leads. The dog is then allowed to run up to everybody barking or whatever. If I want the dog near me I'll make the decision.

I must add that this usually happens when I'm walking with my 75 pound German Shepherd on a leash, at heel. These folks allow their dog to run up barking and growling at me and my dog. I've told them that there will be a reaction if their dog continues with it's aggressive behavior and it will not bode well for their dog. They reply that their dog is merely playing, as it is choking itself bareing it's teeth trying to get to my dog. My dog understands dog speak real well. Why people refuse to train small dogs to walk on a leash is beyond me.

One other thought. It has been my experience that if you come ac cross a dog that is a idiot you will find that the dog is pretty much reflection of it's owner.

Fastcar said:
It has been my experience that if you come ac cross a dog that is a idiot you will find that the dog is pretty much reflection of it's owner.

It has been my observation that this is true even if the dog isn't an idiot.  It seems that most dogs are pretty much reflections of their owners.

I agree with George. There are no bad dogs, only bad owners.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leblanc77
Back
Top Bottom