Weird spare tire problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

napalm204

All-

Sometimes I think I am the only one who runs into such crazy issues, but here is my latest problem.

I recently purchased a new spare tire.  It mounts on the rear of my Dolphin, above the rear bumper.  I got the spare wheel off just fine, but when I went to hoist it back into position, and as I tried to position the wheel's holes over the studs they actually disappeared into the wall of the motorhome.  Instead of being anchored, they seem to be free floating.  That makes no sense to me.  &*%$##!!!  Frankly, it is tough enough to struggle the spare into position without the studs running away from me!

I was able to finally "fish" two of the studs back out and with some dexterity was able to mount the spare on just the two studs.  I suppose I could find some smaller nuts to go on the lug bolts and snug them all the way down flush with the wall, hopefully leaving enough thread surface to mount the spare.

I still need to grapple the third stud out and figure out a way to make them stationary.

Has anyone run into such an issue before?  And is this normal or has the previous owner modified this spare whell/tire set-up somehow?

I would love to hear your responses, suggestions, etc.

Tom-

I wish the term "coach net" meant something to me.  But it doesn't.  Can you clarify or add anything more?

If you go to a hardware store or auto parts one, they should have a sheet metal type nut that is just pushed down on the bolt.  They are commonly used on toys and stuff so it may be hard to find one large enough for the bolts.  Check on the inside wall of the bedroom for the bolt head as I seem to remember that our '94 SeaBreeze was as you describe.

Coach Net is a roadside and technical assistance service.  They would change your tire for you but they won't solve your floating bolt problem.  I suspect the bolts were originally secured inside the cap, perhaps with fiberglass, but have broken loose.  Unless you can get access to the other side of the cap to resecure them, I expect your idea of putting nuts on the outside is your best solution.

Ned may be right about the fiberglass breaking loose, but...

napalm204 said:
Instead of being anchored, they seem to be free floating.  That makes no sense to me.  &*%$##!!!

...this would not surprise me either.  Sadly, a lot of RV's (even new ones) are practically assembled with sticks and staples.  Not a lot of structural forethought in many cases.

Hi

My 1996 Fleetwood Jamboree Searcher had a weird spare wheel carrier... the RV did not have a wheel fitted so I bought a new wheel on EBay and had a tire fitted to it. The bracket had one stud and a padlock hasp and the only way the wheel would fit was to fit the stud in a bottom hole and the hasp in the center.

We had a front tire blow out a while back and AAA did the single nut up so tight a tire center took around an hour to get the nut off and the thread was destroyed. I took the bracket to a local metalfab workshop and they ground the stud off and welded two new bolts so that the wheel is supported top and bottom with the hasp in the center.

Why Fleetwood could not do this beats me!

::)

Thanks to all as always.  I think I can get the third stud out and into daylight.  (The super glued coathanger idea is genius)  Once out however, I will have to hold them in place with pressure (or maybe the superglued coathanger)  until I can get a nut threaded on.  What a hassle.  Then I think my best option is to secure all three with that thin nut that will snug them all up against the RV wall.  Then I will have to hope that my studs have enough thread to get through my wheel and accept my normal lug nuts.

Yeah, I think over time these things either broke loose inside or the support structure has deteriorated.  Either way, out of necessity it is going to be different than it was originally designed.

My next concern is that the RV wall will have to hold the entire weight of the wheel and tire, but I guess it was holding most of that weight with the initial arrangement.  Anyway, I really appreciate all the input and understanding of my dilemma.  I feel confident that I can eventually get this done.

Have a 96 Dolphin the bolts fall into the space under the bed. I also put a wood block that is the same height for meeting up w/ the bolts under the tire in the spare storage compartment. That tire is heavy enough on its own without trying to hold it up and position those bolts thru the wheel.

to the guy with the '96 Dolphin:

I think I understand your post, but does your spare mount on the rear wall of the RV, just above the bumper?  And is the block of wood there just to support the tire/wheel as it is placed on the lug bolts?

I don't think my bolts have fallen down under the bed yet, but they are very loose and free.  Once I get them secured to the wall I will feel much better.

There is a product called a "Speed Nut" Depending on the age of your rig they may have existed when it was new.. These are spring steel thingies that simply push on (hence the Name"

If you can find them in the size of your studs (Check with a fastener's store) you start by gripping the stud near the body with either needle nose pliers or Forceps and push the spring steel nut onto the end of the stud.. Push it on as far as you can then remove the pilars/Forceps and using either regular pliars or the same ones grip the end of the stud (Carful to to damage the threads) and push the nut all the way on, Twist a bit (Needle nose pliars are handy here) to tighten.

Now the stud won't slip back into the coach.

The problem is spring steel will rust much faster than the stud and eventually... Fall off. 

John-

Thanks for that tip.  If I cannot get the studs secured with a normal nut, I may resort to the "speed nut" option.  I think I know that product.  No matter what technique I use I will have to be careful of the threads, because I will need to hold a tight backup just to get anything started on those lug bolts.

yes Napalm it does mount on the rear wall. I was always knocking the bolts through the wall when manhandling the spare back into place. Put the block in to set the tire on so I didnt have to hold the weight of the tire while lining up the wheel holes with the bolts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom