2009 Four Winds Chateau 21RB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michieme

Hi everyone,

After months of lurking on these forums, we are very excited to take the plunge and join the RV world.

We have found the above unit (2009 Four Winds Chateau 21 RB) which is the perfect floor plan for us and best suits the type of travelling that we like to do. Now all we have to do is determine what a fair price would be.

The RV is brand new, but has obviously been on the lot for a long time. The warranty hasn't been registered, so we will have the full factory warranty on both the chassis (which is a 2008, but we're told that's not a big deal) and the house. MSRP was $63,000 with all of the options included, but the dealer is saying that because those are US dollars, we have to consider that MSRP was closer to $70,000. NADA lists this unit between $39,720 and #47,850. Dealer says that CDN $54,000 is his bottom line.

Here are my questions:
1) is the NADA price in US dollars as well, and do we need to consider the fact that this is the used value and this rig is brand new?

2) what are the consequences of buying a brand new unit that is almost 2 model years old? Am I wrong in thinking that it's age should get us a better deal?

We've only negotiated for a purchase this big once before, and it turns out that we weren't so good at it because we didn't do our research.  So I am now appealing to those of you have been down this road to give me some guidance.

Many thanks in advance, and apologies for such a long winded post!

The NADA book is in US dollars. The Rv has depreciated substantially even if it was never titled or driven, so the true value is closer to the NADA used book than anything like MSRP. The factory warranty has some value above and beyond a used rig value, but not all that much. You have to make up your own mind on that score. 

The NADA RV Guide does not take local market conditions into account, so you have to make your own judgments there. It is my understanding the RVs generally cost more in Canada than the same model in the USA. Hopefully some Canadian members will ring in with their experience on this subject.

Also a 2 year old used coach has had most of it's issues worked out. Just about all new RVs come from the factory with issues that need to be resolved. That warranty will maybe cover those.

This guy must not know his currency conversions, right now the the CDN is only $1.03/$1 American.  Show the dealer that even the highest NADA price is still under $50k CDN.  I advise that you make your own reasonable number, present it to the dealer and tell them you can make a quick sale right then if you get your number, if not walk away and come back in a few weeks with the offer.  After 2 years I'd expect him to be willing to deal.

The dealer needs to cut his loss.  In the automotive arena, a two year old leftover has no more cash incentives from the factory therefore having a higher sale price than the newer models with current incentives.  The dealer may be holding out knowing he has the option of placing the older unit in his rental program (if applicable) or some other program at his disposal.  I agree with previous poster, make your own "best offer" and if refused, move on.  There are other deals out there if you are willing to take the time to research them.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I did make the point about the current CAN/US conversion rate, and he said that I had to consider what the conversion rate was when he bought the motorhome. Personally, I think that is a risk that he takes when he keeps a unit on his lot for so long, but he didn't seem to agree with me on this point...

Since he seems so stuck on the price and I'm so stuck on the unit (he has the advantage of having one of the only units of that size in this area so I guess that is one point in his favour), I am considering asking him to throw in some extras, but I don't know what to ask for. I've heard lots of talk about Fantastic Fans, and this unit  doesn't have them, so is this reasonable to ask for?  Also, the current generator is a Guardian 40G (3600 watt) and almost everyone here talks about Onan generators, so I wonder if I should ask him to change that?

Are there any other ways of sweetening the deal?

You're right that the price he paid for the unit is not your problem. It was a risk he took when he purchased the unit.

You might really want the unit, but he probably still wants to sell it more than you want it. Carrying costs in interest alone (fleet line for his inventory) is likely worth a few hundred dollars a month.

You're only a few thousand apart.....if you want it that badly offer to meet him half way and walk out if he won't take it. If you're serious about walking out, you'll probably get your RV!

Mike

He cannot reasonably swap generators, so that's out. Fantastic Fans in the ceiling vents should be doable, though.

What about things like accessory items like lawn chairs, water & sewer hoses (or do they come with it?), a 30A RV extension cord, or maybe even an extended warranty if they are available in Canada).

Well, all of your wonderful advice paid off! I held firm to my price and walked when he wouldn't come down. It was really hard, as I had already pictured us in that particular unit, and had become quite attached to it. The weekend was awful, as I kept wondering if I was doing the right thing (and I had an urge to go shopping for camping equipment ::).

Anyway, I got a phone call this morning and the deal is done on my terms! We pick her up on Saturday (and already have a reservation at a local RV park to test her out!)

I have already read a huge portion of the library, but I'm off to give myself a refresher  :)

Thank so much for being here guys...you're all doing a wonderful service and I really appreciate it!

Michelle

Back
Top Bottom