Measuring Exterior Door??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saraheve42

Okay, so here I am with another batch of questions.  :eek:
I need to replace the exterior door. Its a wreck. So how do I measure? When I see the measurements for new doors/frames, I don't know what exactly is the standard for measuring....Is it:
The door itself?
The inside of the frame?
The outside of the frame?
remove door and measure the hole?
When shopping for a replacement is it best to just look for the door itself? or is it easier to just pull out the entire frame and door piece and replace that? Please help me guys!!!!

Here's a pic of our current door. don't be jealous. I know its fancy fancy!

Attachments

• small door.jpg
    small door.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 44
Tough question and I don't know the answer either!  I'd be armed with all those measurements when shopping.

Have you considered RV salvage yards? They might be more flexible in working with the numbers you have. Might even be able to identify the door by the make and model of RV. There is  a list of RV p;arts & salvage yards in the RESOURCES section (see menu bar above)

If your frame is intact, just measure the door. Make note of where the hinge is located. Take a photo of the old door and like Gary mentioned check out the salvage yards

thanks for the help guys! this weekend i'll be hitting all the salvage yards in the area. if that doesn't work, i'll be calling some salvage yards from the resources section. we'll see how it goes.  8)

Wow that's some door!  I have a problem with mine as well it does not have to be replaced but could use a coat of paint as it looks very worn and dated especially on the outside.  What kind of paint should I use on it a good outdoor oil based paint any suggestions would be appreciated

They usually are measured at the outside of the frame.  Your rough opening will be 1/2" or 1" larger after you peel this out.

I'd pull the frame completely out , measure the rough opening and check online for some sellers of Philips replacement doors.  Probably going to run you $300+ for one if you can match one up - they come in 2" increments just like a house door - 24", 26", 28" etc.

If you aren't concerned on it looking 'right' you might consider a plain commercial exterior door - go to your local Home Depot type store and see what you can find.  The beauty of that is it will be 1/3 the price, but you will have some different mounting/sealing challenges.  ( not sure how a brickmould will look on there and it will be too thick  :) )

If your sidewall framing is wood you probably can nip out an inch with a sawzall if you need to fit in a slightly larger off-the-shelf unit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom