Items to purchase for new to us 5th wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

khawkins

DH and I just returned from finalizing the deal on our 1st RV ;D!  It's a 2001 Jayco Eagle 5th wheel.  We are going back to pick it up next week and need to come up with a list of needed supplies to pick up while we are there so we don't have to make another trip later.  Any recommendations for things we would need. So far we have a longer sewer hose, fresh water hose, and the air freshener chemical for the toilet.  What else should we add to the list?
Thanks
Kate

Congrats on a nice unit.  You should be very happy with it. Friend of mine just sold one like it about 2 months ago. and bought a MH.  Take your TP tissues with you and wait until you get it home and then get your hoses, chemicals and what ever else you need at theat time .    Have your dealer make sure it has water in it and watch them fill it while checking all the faucets and water closet.  you can buy much of what you need at discount stores such as Rubber matting for no-skidding and everything else.  Also make sure they show you how to drain the system, not just tell you.  Don't try to take too much with you, just what you need.  If the dealer suggests things take them but make sure he pays for them.  Believe me in most cases it works.

So far we have a longer sewer hose, fresh water hose, and the air freshener chemical for the toilet.  What else should we add to the list?

Well for one thing, lose the toilet chemicals.  Your black water tank operates like a septic tank.  Typically no chemistry needed.

You do need the white fresh water hose.  You will also need a cheap garden hose of another color for use with your sewer system.    That hose should be stowed with the sewer stuff.    You will also need a spray wand to clean out your black tank;  a sewer hose right angle fitting to connect to the campground sewer:  a gas seal (a tight fitting threaded bushing that screws into the CG sewer opening.    Your TP should be the type approved for use with septic systems.  The most commonly sold brand is Scotts.  The stuff sold in RV stores is actually bad for use in RVs.    Get a sewer hose support like the Slunky to help routing the hose to the sewer outlet.  A pair of heavy duty vinyle gloves is very desirable for handling sewerage.  Carry a gallon of Chlorox to clean up accidents.

Unless your trailer jacks are rated for leveling, get some leveling blocks for your wheels.  I like the orange plastic Lego-like blocks.  Two packs of ten should be adequate.    You will need some sort of spirit level to level in your trailer. 

Some sort of portable inflation pump for your tires is very desirable.  Backing a trailer around to get at a service station's air line is a pita in this day and age.

A plug in voltage gauge is very desirable to monitor campground power.  Excessively low voltage can wreck A/C systems.

Congratulations on the new RV.  I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Karl gave you some real good advice when he said to loose the toilet chemicals.  Many of us never use any chemicals and have no problem.  I might mention that the worst thing you could do is use chemicals that have formaldehyde in them.  Actually avoid anything that has anything ending in hyde.  Karl is also correct when he mentioned RV TP is not good.  We use Scotts single ply .Angle soft is also a good TP for your RV.  As for sewer hose when you buy one don't waste you money on the cheapies.  Buy a Rhino or Dupree hose it will out last the cheapies at least by 5 times longer.

Congratulations. Were Sure That Your Really Going To Enjoy Your New Unit. Make Sure You Get A Water Pressure Regulator For Your Water Hose. So That You Won't Over Pressurise Your Water System When You Hook Up To City Water. You Might Want To Get This From Your RV
Dealer As There Not Always Available At All Stores. Best Of Luck ::)

Rather than list specific items, let me suggest you get common-sense items you need to live with day-to-day; then make a list of items you need as you start your travels and get them when you need them - not all at once. That way you can buy just what YOU need, and not what someone else thinks is a necessity which you may never use. Sewer, water, heating (cooling?), cooking, power, emergency equipment should be your priorities.

When you pick up your 5'er, TRY EVERYTHING before you leave. Turn on lights, open faucets, flush toilet, turn on stove burners, make sure reefer is cooling, etc. You get the picture. Make sure everything is either working or you have a WRITTEN agreement to have things repaired/replaced.

Ron: Thanks for the credit, but that was "C" Carl (Lundquist), not "K" Karl (me) ;)

Thanks for all of your input. I thought I could get much better advice here than in the dealers store.  Is it standard practice for them to take you to their supply section to try to sell you stuff?  We wern't too happy with that and didn't go for anything.
Kate

Is it standard practice for them to take you to their supply section to try to sell you stuff?? We wern't too happy with that and didn't go for anything.

Well they are salesmen, no??  ;D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom