New project in the works - adding roof air

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The problem of getting the AC unit to the coach roof is solved - I bought a Genie GS-2032 electric scissor lift at an on-line auction today.  Lucky me, I got into the only bidding war of the six or eight lifts that were offered and paid twice what my target was  :-\ , but the unit looks fairly nice and has 343 hours of operation on the meter.

Truck freight delivered the AC unit today, so next week I'll get busy with the install.

The scissor lift will be a great addition to the shop since the ceiling at the peak is about 18' and I have ducting to install for the dust collection system.  Also waxing the coach will be greatly simplified and now I can easily redo the roof to sidewall joint.  Plus there is the cool factor of another tool.

Attachments

• Genie-GS-2032-lift.jpg
    Genie-GS-2032-lift.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 109
I wish you had told me about the auction before hand, I would have loved to bought one for myself. Then we could do some drag racing... ;D

John Canfield said:
The scissor lift will be a great addition to the shop since the ceiling at the peak is about 18' and I have ducting to install for the dust collection system.  Also waxing the coach will be greatly simplified and now I can easily redo the roof to sidewall joint.  Plus there is the cool factor of another tool.

Congrads on the lift John, I am jealous. I have been whining to the DH how I want one for washing and waxing the MH but I am too cheap to invest in one anyway but I sure am sick of going up and down those ladders.  ::)

John...

I suppose you may have seen the occasional air conditioner shroud along side the highway.

One of those could  have been ours!  We have lost two in the 25 years of trailer/motor home activity.

Good luck on your endeavor.

Wendell

Ray D said:
Ummmm,,,, by chance, Does that thing have outriggers?  ???

Nope - the unit weighs 3500 pounds and the operating parameters at 26' are 550 pounds in the platform - it will move at 0.5 mph with the scissor fully extended  8)

AA4WP said:
I suppose you may have seen the occasional air conditioner shroud along side the highway.

Wendell - as a matter of fact - yes.  I'll take the chance for 13,500 more BTU of cooling.

John, bring that over to our place next winter, we have some high branches to trim :)

the cool factor of another tool.

Are you sure it is tool..or a new toy? Thinking BIG is good, especially if you live in Texas.

All you have to do now is to figure a way to take it with you on your travels; you never know you may want to wash and wax the rig on the road. Also good to get a good view with a crowd in front of you. The possibilities are endless.

A sign on it would be good : "Don't mess with Texas"  ;D

Carson FL

The AC was delivered Friday.  That dude is heavy, but I could scoot it around without too much trouble.  I hope I can pick up the scissor lift tomorrow and get on with the job this week.

Attachments

• AC1.jpg
    AC1.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 58
  • AC2.jpg
    AC2.jpg
    446.5 KB · Views: 71
After spending a week in Gulf Shores, AL, I was just informed that I will be adding a roof air conditioner to augment the inadequate basement air. Needless to say, your progress will be very interesting. I have a couple of questions about how you plan to do this.

1. If a glass of red wine a day is good for you, a bottle must be great (just kidding)! Why did you select the 13,500 BTU unit instead of 15k?
2. How do you plan to connect the controls to the thermostat or are you going to run it like a standalone?
3. Do you plan to duct the output into the AC ducts or use it as standalone?
4. You mentioned that you are not blazing new trails. Are there any online resources for the other installations? I find it helpful to get as many views as possible.
5. If you decide to relocate the vent instead of replacing it with the AC, will you include that here?
6. Were you able to get a roof vent, reinforcement, and wiring diagram of the ceiling from Winnebago?

I won't be able to do more than think about this for a month or so. I'll be following your progress with a lot of interest.

mrschwarz said:
After spending a week in Gulf Shores, AL, I was just informed that I will be adding a roof air conditioner
I certainly know how that works  ::)

Why did you select the 13,500 BTU unit instead of 15k?
I wanted to keep the AC current down - as I recall the spec for this particular unit is 12.7 amps running.  Also I wanted a low profile unit

2. How do you plan to connect the controls to the thermostat or are you going to run it like a standalone?
It will be standalone

3. Do you plan to duct the output into the AC ducts or use it as standalone?
Standalone

4. You mentioned that you are not blazing new trails. Are there any online resources for the other installations? I find it helpful to get as many views as possible.
There is at least one forum member, BucknJeff, that have done the same mod.  Pat Tribby added a roof air to his UA, but I think they moved off the coach and were going to sell.  Then there is the guy with the Vectra rolling freezer previously mentioned.  I think BucknJeff have documented their AC installation, but I'm not sure

5. If you decide to relocate the vent instead of replacing it with the AC, will you include that here?
Absolutely.  At this point, I want to keep the Fantastic vent, but I might not have enough time to relocate it before we head out to GNR

6. Were you able to get a roof vent, reinforcement, and wiring diagram of the ceiling from Winnebago?
I keep a printed set of wiring diagrams (downloaded from Winnie) on the coach.  I'll be calling Owner Relations next week about issues with cutting a new roof hole for the vent relo

I won't be able to do more than think about this for a month or so.
I've been thinking about this for three years  :D

I installed a 13,500 AC on the top of my truck camper.  With the camper setting as low as it can on the ground, I pulled the truck along side.  Put heavy cardboard on the roof to protect surface, then a step inside the truck bed.  Lifted the AC up in my arms, stepped up on the step, then the rail.  Then lifted up, resting (oh, I left it on the 'pallet'),  on the roof edge and pushed up past tipping point, then let it down see saw-ish.  Climbed up on roof and finished up.  OSHA doesn't haunt the field out back. 

If I had it to do over, I would have gotten some sort of lift.  About half way thru the lift I realized I had to keep going, there was no backing out without injury or damage. 

Your lift with a bucket loader reminded me of that project.

Safely getting the unit on the roof was my greatest concern and I wasn't feeling too good about the loader bucket and ramps.  I keep getting a little more cautious since I'm not a young buck any longer  ;)

John,

Based on what you know today, will you be running power from the source to the A/C ON the roof, IN the roof, or ON the ceiling?  Just wondering about aesthetics and exposure.........

Jim - at this point the plan is to somehow get from the breaker panel at the foot of the bed to the OnePlace center (under the floor), up that column and then I hope to fish the wire the few inches through the roof to the vent opening.  I'll be working on the wiring in the next day or two.

Back
Top Bottom