15 amp fuse for 120 volt hot water tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danjo

When I turn on the 120 volt hot water tank it blows the 15 amp fuse. This is on a 2008 34 ft Montana.

When I turn on the switch for the electric hot water tank it blows the 15 amp fuse for the  switch. Which then shuts the hot water tank off. If I leave the hot water switch off and install a new 15 amp fuse I can switch on the gas for the hot water and it runs fine. The water pump will also work with no problems. It is only when I turn the switch on for the 120 volt hot water that it blows the fuse. These three switches are on the same set up.

Are you saying the water pump stops working when you blow this fuse? It should be fused separately from the water heater. Something is very strange here. 

Any other Montana owners reading this? Ideas?

Fuses aren't generally used in 120volt circuitry.  120volt circuits use circuit breakers.

I went out to the Keystone Site and read the Owner's Manual and it confirmed that the 120volt a/c circuits are controlled by CB's.  If the !20volt Water Heater switch is blowing the 15amp fuse for your 12volt DC Water Pump, you have a grievous wiring error or the wiring for the 120v Water Heater element is some how touching the 12vdc line for your pump.

I would disconnect the Shore Power and remove the panel holding the switches and verify correct wiring.

danjo sent the following messages to the forum staff regarding this thread. I am quoting them here to get them into the thread so others can see them as well.

"Yes the switches for the water pump and gas for hot water will not work."

"This is the frist time I have had this problem in two years. Have used it many times before this with no problem."

There is no normal situation in which turning on the 120vac to the water heater would blow a 12v fuse. At most the switch you are using is triggering a relay that switches 120v power. Perhaps the relay is shorted internally and sends 120vac into the 12vdc circuitry?

Found the insulation broke on one of the wires from the relay. Put some tape on it and it works good.

Back
Top Bottom