"flat rate" shop time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InPursuit

Can any of you experienced guys calculate the "reasonable" time requuired to do the more common repair jobs?
As an example... lets say the R&R associated with improving a Workhorse suspension?

Regardless of the whiz bang quality of the several aftermarket parts themselves...
The work required to remove the old item and install the new one should be darn close on any one WH (or FL) compared to any another... yes?

What about the more comprehensive service jobs? The ones where you need (or it's just real practical) to remove item A, B & C in the course of getting to item D.
What about the distinction between the R&R itself and the "tweaking" adjustments then needed to do a good alignment?

Thanks for any help you may have.

Are you asking what the rates are, or if such a thing exists?  There are flat rate manuals for most common tasks in chassis repair & maintenance.  And some shops develop their own flat rates for common repair services if there is no flat rate data available from the manufacturer.

InPursuit sent this reply privately. I'm quoting it here so that others have an opportunity to contribute.

What I am trying to get is **objective** data based on direct experience to make up our own real world flat rate book.

(Just in case you weren't aware of it...
the FR books used in nearly every industry tend to be inflated across the board but especially so as relates to more comprehensive jobs.)

I don't have an objective data based on my own experience, nor a copy of the various flat rate manuals to compare it to.

RV Roamer said:
InPursuit sent this reply privately. I'm quoting it here so that others have an opportunity to contribute.

I don't have an objective data based on my own experience, nor a copy of the various flat rate manuals to compare it to.

The FR is not inflated. The first time that you do a certain job it may take you longer than the FR, the second and third time you get faster.
The mechanic makes more money if they can beat the FR and do a good job. Some techs beat the FR by leaving off certain non essential items. I just finished a valve job on a Isuzu Trooper (95), took me a lot of time (compared to Chevies). If I ever do another one I know a few tricks to make it easier, I also have the "special" tools made already.
J

Back
Top Bottom