CA Highways & Byways

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Lou,

As you can see from Tom's response, he's moved. :) Sounds like it's doable though. I'm looking forward to that part of the trip.

Tom,

The railroad museum sounds great. I love trains. Sure would like to see more of them used in the country.

Sounds like a plan Jim. I've been promising myself (and Lou) I'd drop in on that place for a few years. I always forget about it until we're driving by it in a hurry to go somewhere.

Tom,

We've done the same thing with the Corvette Museum and plant. Gone by about a half dozen times but always in a hurry to get somewhere else.

Tom,

I spent many a weekend in Chicago riding the Interurban from North Chicago. Really enjoyed the old cars.

Jim,

If you stop in Bandon, there is a gift shop a few miles south of town on 101 that sells great jams and preserves.  Well worth a stop.  Also there are several good restaurants in town. We especally liked the one out on the south spit, can't remember the name though but will try before you get there.  There is a crab shack down on the beach that has wonderful crabs, he cooks and cleans them for you.  BG

It is a neat town and we spend time there when ever we can!!

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the info. We'll try to make Brandon a stop.

Sorry we didn't get to see you in SoCal but things got a little hectic while there.

Hi Jim,

I see that you're thinking of stopping in Bandon, just into Oregon from CA, on the coast.

Here's another suggestion:  Winchester Bay--further up the coast.

We've never overnighted there, but have stopped for lunch on the harbour waterfront.  When we were there it was very placid (see attached pic which is probablky too large for dial up--sorry about that) which suits our less than frenetic pace. :)

Ciao,

Doug

Attachments

• wincehster-bay-web01 (Small).jpg
    wincehster-bay-web01 (Small).jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 17
The Winchester Bay Marina is one of Russ Mahoney's favorite places. We stayed there last summer and loved it. Nice lighthouse nearby to tour and great fresh seafood in town.

Bernie

If Russ approved of that restaurant, then I might make a stop there myself on our trip north.

Hi Doug,

Great photo! I've heard several mention Winchester Bay. Stopping will really depend upon where we are around 4pm on any given day. :) However I am thankful for any suggestions and may adjust that schedule if possible.

Tom:

I am not an expert on Winchester bay restaurants, :-(

However, Mo's has the best clam chowder on the Oregon coast IMNSHO
There is one of those just a few miles north, in Florence.

Tom said:
Lou

We sold the Livermore house and now live full time in Discovery Bay. From here, Jim can take Hwy 4 to Hwy 160, over the Antich bridge to Hwy 12, then left over the Rio Vista bridge. We're less than an hour from Rio Vista, so maybe we could make a trip to the RR museum (I've been wanting to visit the museum myself). Are you there only on weekends?
I used to be there most weekends, but that changed last November.? ?Since then I've been busy with other things and haven't been able to visit/participate as often as I'd like.

If anyone's interested, we're talking about the Western Railway Museum.? It's a privately owned electric railroad & streetcar museum located on CA 12 about halfway between Fairfield and Rio Vista.  There's plenty of room for RVs in the parking lot unless you come during the Pumpkin Patch operations in October, when it fills up.

Russ

If we get to Mo's I'll be sure to try their clam chowder.

Hi Lou,

Since Jim and Pat will be with us, I sure hope we get to visit when you're there. What's your schedule over the next 10 days or so?

Tom said:
Hi Lou,

Since Jim and Pat will be with us, I sure hope we get to visit when you're there. What's your schedule over the next 10 days or so?

Tom,

Sure do hope Lou is there! :)

He was here late last night, but not sure he saw my message Jim. If I don't hear back in the next day or so I'll drop him an email.

Jim,

I'll second and triple Doug's recommendation of Winchester Bay. We been there four times (you would think I like it!).

Neat little picturest harbor.

Great fish barbeque at on of the waterfront fish houses on Saturday

Choice of three styles of "parking"
      Resort, At the RV Resort. If you opt for this I like the "pull in" spaces on the road into the Resort. You pull in and face into the Harbor.
  The "old campground" on the left if you follow the signs to the Rv Resort. (never done this)

Or my favorite for a few days is the boondocking on the asphalt. But you need to get a pull in on one of the "spit'" the jut into the harbor. This cost $10/day. Water and dump available at the far end from the road in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom