How old are you? Still driving?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ray D

OK, I looked at the rules, and didn't see where this subject is one of the prohibited ones.  ;D  Probably should be!  ::)  Let us see who I can offend.  ::) 

I'm 74. Next idiot that sez I am 74 years young, gets it - - right in the chops!  :mad:  :mad: 

Story about my father. He passed away almost 2 years ago, just shy of his hundredth birthday. Made it to 99. He did an annual physical that took two days in a hospital, and had just arrived at check out with a clean bill of health. No problems, at all.

The lady at the counter ask, "How are you, today, Mr Demaree?" He replied that he was feeling great, and immediately collapsed. They say he was dead when he hit the floor. No cause of death could be determined. The Coroner wrote that the cause of death was, "99 years old."  This story is not what this is all about, however.........

A few years earlier, we had a family donneybrook, because he was still driving himself, at the age of 92, blind and deaf. Yep, couldn't hear squat and couldn't see, except for a halo of periferal vision. He was scaring everyone to death! We ganged up on him, and told him for the thousandth time, he needed to quit driving. We were going to take away his keys and his car. He was a pretty independent guy, and we expected a very difficult time. Amazingly, he agreed, and told my next youngest brother to go get the keys to the Cadillac. He gave him the Cadillac and his driver's license. He quit driving.

I'd like to avoid that experience. I'd like to know when, on my own. My first worry is the motorhome. I can see well and hear well enough, so far. Easy to drive and rides like a Cadillac. I can afford the gas. Due to broken bones and systemic surgeries, over the last two years, it hasn't been camping. We have gotten to where I am OK with my doctor to drive it. Dani will soon, we think, be permitted to ride in it. Actually, she can ride, now. She isn't allowed to climb the stairs, to get into it.  ::)  Couple of weeks to couple of months and we're out of here.

The Problem: [Bending, Pulling, Pushing, Lifting, Crawling, Kneeling.] I can barely drag the 50 amp power cord. She cannot help. I drag it to the bin, and then rest. Then, I stuff it into the bin. Then, I rest. Now, I need to hook up the toad. Five minutes, for the average guy. 10 for me, if I don't take a break in the middle of it. The Ready Brake is heavy, and involves stooping! It's a low lift, getting it into the drivers floor. Putting the plug into the cigarette lighter is no problem. I can handle pushing the test button.  ::) 

Later, reverse the process. Just as enjoyable!  ;) 

I think I am going to get better at this. It used to be, 3 years ago, pretty much a piece o' cake. Don't think it will improve to that point. Just hoping.  :-\ 

I've thought about getting a smaller RV. (30 amp cord.) Don't want to "upgrde" at this point - and maybe drift on down. How long, until we just can't do the job? Plus, we really like this motorhome. Rather keep it.

So, the question: Who is, or who knows someone who is, or knows about someone who is older than me, and still going strong - or still going at all? Any takers? Any in their 80s? 90s? Anyone doing this blind or deaf? I need a target!  ::) 

Side issue. Has anyone ever seen a RVing couple who had hired a driver? (Actually, a power cord puller? Both of us can drive, just fine.  ::)  ) Is it done? How does that work? How does one determine the pay?  ??? 

OK, got any answers?

Ray D  ;D  :-\

Ray,

I personally don't think age, per se, has anything at all to do with it.  Two people can be the exact same age and one is physically able and the other isn't.  What's more important is whether you and Dani believe you can do it.  You've both had a rough year, but that's not to say your physical well being won't improve in the future.  Unfortunately, the reality is that the older we get, the longer it takes to recover from physical setbacks.  There are definitely people in our forum who are as old or older than you and who are still going strong.  Yes, we may have more aches and pains than we used to have, but we still get out and enjoy life.  So, my advice would be to start doing exercises that will strengthen your body.  That, in turn, will make you stronger overall and make you more able to do the tasks our lifestyle requires.  By the way, regarding age - there was a 90 year old lady in a group we belonged to who was involved in an accident.  Someone ran into her - definitely not her fault - and she rolled over in her Class C.  The next day she called and ordered a new one.  She was a great lady and we all admired her spunk.  She finally gave up RVing when she wasn't physically able to do maintenance items and couldn't hire reliable people to do some of the maintenance that needed to be done.  You have a way to go!  ::)

ArdraF

Ray, I'm 69 and some of the things you listed hurt me too,  I say "if you don't use it you loose it", so I look at it like  " If I don't do this now, I wont be able to do this in the future." Not only that but you have to have SOMETHING to grumble about to make it worthwhile.  Just this very week I have given all my associates notice that I'm done working and am going to retire completely in 60 days, after 30 years in the aviation maint. & repair business my clients will be looking for someone else. So back to doing it now so I can do it later.>>>Dan 8)

Ardra, as usual, you are a sweatheart. 90 would be a good target. I appreciate the story. I was invited by a hunting group, years ago, one of whom was 75 years old. I was 42. I hoped he didn't have a heart attack. Well, I had a tough time keeping up with him, on the trail. I, really, came to admire him. So, yes, you're right - age is not a factor.

Well, it is, in the sense that one doesn't ordinarily get a whole lot stronger or faster, starting there. I have been thinking about upgrading. Decided I really need to wait, to see how well I do at this. Wouldn't want to spend a lot and find out I can't use what I bought. So, decided to check it out to see if there are hundreds, older than me or just one here and there. Maybe I need to dream a different dream. Having been "outdoorsey" all my life, it's hard to look forward to something else. I'll work harder, at what I can do.

utahclaimjumper, congratulations on your wise decision. You will find that retirement keeps you busier than work ever did!  ::)  Working harder at camping is on my list. Just hope I have the capacity to keep going. And, I hope I didn't sound like I was givig up. The coach is in the shop, now, getting it's annual maintenance. Found out Friday that I get to buy new coach batteries. They are going to load-test the chassis battery. All other systems checked out fine. It'll be ready, when we are.

Ray D  ;D

Ray,

A few years ago I met a guy at a campground that was parked next to us. I noticed him since he was loading a motorcycle onto the back of a pickup using ramps and a small grass berm. I started to talk to him since I was interested in getting a bike myself. It turned out he was 87 years old and still going strong. He and his wife still rode the bike. I'll be 69 this fall but still feel young until I look in the mirror or the aches and pains start to bother me. I'm hoping I can go as long as he has!

Ray, I'll be 72 in July and still doing my own driving and normal maintenance after five confirmed heart attacks, two open heart surgeries (both quadruple bypasses), a TIA/mini stroke and chronic atrial fibrillation.  My biggest fear is rapid deterioration of quality of life and ability to keep up the pace.  I know it won't last forever.

I bought the old Bounder at the age of 68 and headed for Alaska.  I was afraid I would never get there if not at that time.  I'm now thinking of going back again ::)

I admit that I can no longer leap over the Bounder so I just climb the ladder and jump off. ;) :D  I've even considered joining the "framily" in a tour of the winter and spring southwest rallies, but I think the pace may be too slow.  I hear that happy hour doesn't start until four o:clock each day. :D ;D

Ray:  I am 78 and will go to 79 in February.  I walk 3 miles at least 3 days a week, although it is getting harder.  Things start aching.  I've noticed a weakening trend over the last couple of years.  I hope it doesn't come on any quicker, but right now, I'm still getting after it.  I will be hosting the rally for the RV Forum group in April in the Texas Hill Country.  Come on down and we'll compare notes.

My 82-year-old mother just drove from central Oregon to southern Utah and is now on her way back. Dad rides along. Mom also did all the driving of the truck and 5er up until last year, when they decided they were done RVing (not related to driving problems). Dad turned in his drivers license when he was 74  because he was wise enough to realize that he was blind and shouldn't be driving. He says he knew it was time (the family thought it was past time).

Now if I could just get Mike to give me the ignition keys.......

Wendy

Jim, I'm with you. I'd take a contract, right now, for being able to load a motorcycle at the age of 87!  :eek:

Porky, keep going! Don't give them an inch. I have no heart disease. I do, however, have Atrial Fib. I understand that most people who have it are asymptomatic. I, however, am very symptomatic. It is my leading cause of deterioration. Made two code three trips to the hospital when over-exertion sent me into Ventrical Fib. Really unpleasant stuff. Rather be doing something else!  :-\ 

So, when I do feel good, I have to watch the level of exertion. Also, it impedes blood circulation. Means I run out of energy very quickly. Also causes difficulty regulating body heat or lack thereof. I can't handle a lot of hot weather or, for that matter, cold weather. A Fib I could do without, happily!  ::) 

Ron, more power to you. At 78, I'd like to walk 3 miles 3 days a week!  ;D  I'd like to walk 3 blocks, 3 days a week.  ::)  Walking is one of the challenges I am working on, now. I go til I can't stand the pain. At this point, on a good day, I might walk most of a block. Don't know how much improvement I can make, but working on it. The broken hip is not, thankfully, holding me back, on that score.

Ray, you hang in there too.  You covered the hideous symptoms and effects of A-fib, and ultimately V-fib, pretty well.  I'm sure you take meds to slow the heart rate, thin the blood, lower the blood pressure and lower cholesterol just as I do.  Unfortunately, just as you said, the whole mix just lowers ones endurance.  Take care of yourself and work at it slowly.

Wendy, thanks! I have read enough about your parents that I should have thought about them. Nice that they made it so far. Heartening!  ;D  Your comment about your dad giving up the license was familiar. In my family's case, each of us had argued with him, trying hard to talk him out of his license. Wasn't working. Tried the authorities. Uncooperative, and a bit unfriendly. And, I hate the idea that someday I will have to quit. Won't be easy. Your dad showed good sense and good judgement - at least eventually.  ;D 

Porky, Yes, I take enough pills that I think I should count the calories in them. I don't have a cholesterol problem, thankfully. I take rat poison to thin the blood. (Coumodin) When I need surgery, it' a problem. Took three days of transfusions to get my blood ready for surgery, when I broke my hip, last Christmas. 

Ray D  ;D

Ray,

I'm another old timer, just turned 77 and doing fairly well.  Had knee surgery in April and doing well.  My two biggest problems are the arthritis in my back and hands and the diminished lung capacity.  I have learned to pace myself, well at least I know I should, and I try to keep the bones warm.  The "A" in my hands is painful  after an hour or so of driving the MH but Pat wouldn't give me the keys if I could drive all day so we manage.  I am working to alleviate the pain with exercise and it seems to be working.  I figure between the 2 of us we will make 85 as a goal.  ;)

Hang in there and enjoy when you can,

Guess I should weigh in.  I am just turning 61, but this isn't about me.  My Dad will be 85 in August.  When I called him this morning he was driving the rig back after a weekend rally in VT.  170 mile trip.  He will be gofling this week, can shoot his age.  I can shoot my age too, but I can do it in 9, he takes 28 to do it. 

As many say, it is not the age, it is the condition.  I am lucky to have pretty good genes, just hope my money doens't run out before I do.

Jim, I appreciate your post. At 77, youre just a little ahead of me. So, I relate. "Keeping the bones warm," I understand in depth. I have Arthritis, but not bad, yet. My thumbs are the focal point of pain. Man, that hurts if I use them very long. Course, that totally wipes the "Opposing Thumb" theory. And, exercise doesn't seem to help, in that case. Just hurts worse. 85 is an excellent goal. Hope you make it there!

Ray D  ;D

Bill, heartening to read about your dad. That is the reason I posted this to start with. Thanks.  ;D 

I too, suppose I have pretty good genes. My elders have all lived to late 80s and most into their 90s. They say that's a good indicator. I haven't put a lot of stock in that, however. Most of my deteriorated condition is related to injuries. When you are young, you bounce back from those pretty quickly. What they don't tell you, then, is that all these old injuries come back to haunt you when you are older. Well, the A-Fib, they tell me, is from smoking. But, I started that, when I was a lot younger, too. My VA Doctor told me a few years ago that my issues were a result of addictions. Said I was addicted to Nicotene and Adrenalin. (Actually, he said I was an Adrenalin Junky! Said I use nicotene to moderate the Adrenalin.) Too much excitement is not good for your heart rythym.  :-\ 

So, what do I do, now? Well, I figure a relaxing ride in the MH, to a campsite in the woods, with a nice view. Then sit there and enjoy the scenery, relax, pour a glass of Cabernet, and...... First, pull that damned 50 amp cord out of the electrical bay, over to the post and plug it in. Oh, while you're at it, unhitch the car, get the ready brake out of the floorboard so you can drive it somewhere. Light up, so the Nicotene can moderate the adrenalin, and now go relax.  ;) 

I do love being out in nature. Been that way all my life!  ;D

Ray the old guy D  ;D ;)

PancakeBill said:
As many say, it is not the age, it is the condition.  I am lucky to have pretty good genes, just hope my money doens't run out before I do.

I understand about the genes but I am really concerned about the money too.

Ray D said:
I have Arthritis, but not bad, yet. My thumbs are the focal point of pain. Man, that hurts if I use them very long. Course, that totally wipes the "Opposing Thumb" theory. And, exercise doesn't seem to help, in that case. Just hurts worse. 85 is an excellent goal. Hope you make it there!
Ray D  ;D

Ray,

It is my thumbs that give me the problem too.  And you are right about the exercise not helping.  I find that stretching the hands using a procedure I found through Web MD some time ago helps the most as long as I keep them WARM!!  I also made an red LED lamp that helps a lot if I only use it.  I'm told that some infrared LEDs help too but have not tried them.

Bill,

I remember when your Dad was around 72. He and your Mom were out on the dance floor at an FMCA rally. They were outdoing everyone else out there!! Can't believe we've known them that long. Seems like yesterday when we met. Of course, there is no age associated with Santa Claus. ;D ;D

Hello Ray, thought I would weigh in. I will be 81 this coming July 6th. We took our rig to south Florida this spring for about three weeks. The wife refuses to drive, so I must do all the driving an set up, such as it is.

I have all the usual aches and pains and have severe osteoarthritis in my knees and it is progressing into other joints. You just have to keep plugging on.

I also have a very severely reduced heart output. I am scheduled for a cath test and possible pace maker and or defib.

The wife and I just returned from a round trip emergency trip to Ohio because of a medical emergency there. The millage was somewhere around 2500. I did all of the driving. This was in our toad. We didn't have time to pack the rig. One of the on the way there one day I drove 600/700 plus miles. All interstate except for the city when we got there.

We were both worn out completely. It took us a couple of days to recover fully. One night there I slept for about 12 hours. On the way back I slept for about 11 hours one night. Sure helps the next day.

I still do all the usual small maintenance on all our vehicles. The larger heavier jobs must be farmed out.

Hang in there and don't ever give up.

Jerry

You just have to keep plugging on.

Jerry, this is the lesson I'm learning. Glad to read your post - inspiring.

Actually, my physical challenges seem to be pretty widespread/common among my peers. On reflection, I don't seem to have any unusual or unique challenges. Observing, if I may, that my peers have thinned out a bit, up here at this age, where the air is thinner than it used to be. I'll keep plugging on. I hope to develop some innovative means of moving that power cord.

I really appreciate all the responses. Every one of them good!

Ray D  ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom