Charlie (dog) passes CGC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marsha/CA

Moderator Emeritus
We've had a few dog discussion in the last couple of months and on a couple of the threads I mentioned that I was training Charlie (standard poodle) to prepare him to take the CGC (canine good citizen) test.  It consists of 10 stations (requirements) that the dog must pass all of them in order to receive the CGC.  It is actually very simple involving basic training.  It's the first /step process to going further with dog handling ie therapy, fly dog, tracking, search and rescue.  Some insurance companies even offer a discounted rate on your homeowners insurance if your dog has received it's CGC certification. 

Charlie and I have been training and a week ago, we participated in a work shop to evaluate what areas are the dog's strong points and what are his weak one.  I knew pretty much where his problem lies.  He's an over friendly dog and basically shuts me out when he wants to greet a stranger.  So all week we worked on his problem, by my requiring him to sit politely while we meet a stranger.  Well, we took the test yesterday and he passed.  One of the things the evaluator kept reassuring me was how great it is to have a overly friendly dog rather than a shy one.  Charlie did every thing, but was so bouncy and happy that the evaluation cracked up laughing.  I thought for sure we had failed; but he passed.  We still have to keep working on the over-friendly greetings; but he's much better.  Now I'm going to look for a series of classes to work on "tracking" and to get his "therapy" certificate.  I want to take him into schools and nursing homes.

Marsha~

Thanks everyone....it's been fun.  He's great dog to work with, and smart.

Bill....we named Charlie "Charlie" before we had read "Travels with Charlie" by Steinbeck.  A lot of people ask us if we named him after the book.

Jim, The tracking I'm talking about is like a field trial.  The dog has to follow a scent and reach a final destination.  I really wanted to do search and rescue; but Charlie doesn't have that type of drive and pursuit; and frankly neither do I.  When I had my favorite horse, I had visions of a tracking dog and a horse that could take me everywhere.  I've gotten older, my "good ole horse" died and I don't think Charlie wants to work that hard either..... ;D  What were you thinking of?

Marsha~

Marsha/CA said:
Thanks everyone....it's been fun.  He's great dog to work with, and smart.
D  What were you thinking of?

Marsha~

Search and Rescue.  There are some pretty good SAR dog groups not far from you.  You are right, it is a lot of work.  Locally the handlers and dogs are out a couple of days a week and at least one weekend a month depending on whether they have had searches for real.  As my walking get better I will lay a trail at least once a month but not for a while yet as rough ground still a problem for my knees.  :'(  I'd like to be able to go hunting this fall but won't push it too hard.

I got as far as Charlie (dog) passes .... and my heart nearly stopped!  So glad it was a happy message instead of a sad one.  Congrats to both you and Charlie.  He really is a magnificent dog.

Margi

It's too bad everyone doesn't take as much interest in their pets.  Many people get a pet, attempt to train them to go outside to potty and end the training there.  In such cases I ask myself why they even have the animal. 

@George....because we have pugs...they are little clowns and can only be trained to find treats and toys.  Amazingly they did get their diploma from doggie school.

We just visited a friend who has a Westy (the one that looks like a Scotty dog but white).  When they got him at four years of age he had never been trained at all, including toilet training.  They took him to a trainer and he's a wonderful little dog.  Very laid back, but follows directions quite well.  I was amazed that he's turned out to be such a nice dog.  Doesn't bark and doesn't jump up unless invited.  By the way, the husband is of Scot background and they go to the Scottish Games.  Their daughter just sent the dog the cutest little tam o'shanter in the family plaid with a red pompom on top, along with a little neck scarf.  She looks darling in it.

ArdraF

Congrats! I feel that Carlie would do great at schools and nursing homes with his over friendliness.

Congratulations!  :) Charlie is a great name, whether it follows Steinbeck or not. It's tops on our list if we get a poodle. Awhile ago we met a couple with a wonderful standard poodle, and asked the dog's name. Turned out, the lady's first name is Willie, and the dog's name is Nelson.  :)

Thanks for the congrats, Dragonrover.  I see you also have a 35' allegro.  We love ours but it is a 2003.  Sometimes we have the 1-foot envy; but really don't want to change.

Marsha~

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom