CB Radio & Antenna Installation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skyking69

All,

Good evening.  I am new to the forum and hope someone might be able to assist with something.  My parents are not very tech savvy so I offered to help my father research installing a CB radio and antennas onto their '02 Brave.  It does not have the optional CB prewiring.  I had intended to install the antennas on the mounting brackets for his rear view mirrors, but after buying the gear before looking at his mirrors (not smart, I know...), I then discovered they are not tubular, but are instead a one piece aerodynamic metal bracket assembly.  So, since I figure it will need two antennas to keep things off the roof I wondered - Can anybody suggest a specific method of mounting the antennas?  I guess we will now be drilling into the side of the body at the ends of the front dash, but if someone has actually done a dual antenna install on one of these I would sure like to cheat off their homework.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Phillip

I have a Ham antenna to my rear ladder.  It requires running a long run of cable but it would work.  another possiblity is a mag mount on the dash or behind the seat on the heater air vent.  The CB is low power and I doubt the amount of use and the RF would do any harm.

I see them mounted on the drivers side with I suppose bolts/screws holding the bracket in place.  I'm not a fan of putting holes in the RV.  I don't recall if your unit has bumpers, if so you can find an antenna that would adapt to the bumper.  Of course higher is better for an antenna but any antenna is better than none.  If he wants to use the CB to hear what is going on the dash antenna will work well. Other than the truckers in the larger cities there is very little talk on the CB.  If he wants to keep in touch with others travelling with him the I suggest Family Radio system (FRS), they are hand held and will work fine.  I do keep my CB on all the time to hear about road conditions, again the mag mount on the dash would be fine for listening.  I have a spearker near my left ear so I can hear the CB and not annoy the others with me.  If you get into a traffic jam/accident or weather the CB is useful.

I have found the through the window antennas are not worth it.

If you can get to a local dealer or camp ground take a walk through and look at all the antenna installations.

Good Luck,  Russ

FWIW, two antenna's is not any better than one for his use, (just makes it directional)  if you install two it is just a waste of your $$$.
the best i have found for a MH is a marine no ground antenna. always hard to find a good ground on a MH because of the fiberglass.

good luck on the install.

bob

All,

Thanks for the replies.  Bob, the effect I am trying to avoid is the directional limitation.  Russ, I follow what you are saying, but my logic is this - My dad won't do the Ham thing and the flood wiping out the AR campground a couple of weeks ago stimulated me to want to get them something into their RV beyond cellphone.  Most sheriff's departments monitor channel 9 on the CB so I bought them a nice Cobra unit with NOAA weather radio built into it.  Running wire all over creation is not my idea of fun, we already rewired from the front AV system to the rear TV because the cable needed to be upgraded from RG59 to RG6 to handle the satellite TV signal.  Routing and securing it was a pain.  :eek:

Because I am concerned that there is little or no steel at the ends of the dash (good/bad - good = easier drilling and bad = lack of ground), so far I am considering the "No Ground Plane" models from Firestik (FireFly http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/NGP_M2.htm & Firestik II http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/NGP_3-Way.htm).  I know NGP is not optimal, but work with me here.  ;)  Yes, his Brave does have a rear bumper and I think a front bumper too.  While the front bumper would not be a terribly hard run...I still think he will prefer to have them mounted to the sides of the vehicle.  I was hoping someone:

1 - Might know where the factory mounts the antenna(s) when the factory optional installation is done?
2 - Might have specific experience with installation on a Brave or similar Winnebago?
3 - In particular, is there some sort of Winnebago exterior rear view mirror modification or aftermarket accessory to facilitate using the existing mirrors and the holes they undoubtedly have for their wiring?

My father and I are very handy and I understand the technical issues related to the radio.  So, anything specifically related to items one through three above would be greatly appreciated.  :)

Best Regards,

Phillip

John,

Very interesting, so they go with a shorter than optimal antenna.  I think the wave form suggested length is 9', so one short enough to go on the roof would have to be pretty short.  Do you know if the antenna feed wire is located on the left side under the flip up dash, or if they route it over to closer to where the AM/FM radio is?  I looked under there and nothing jumped out at me...  Thanks for that information, I would never have thought to look there.  I also think it is powder coated steel in the vicinity of the AM/FM - Has anybody done an in-dash install of a CB they might like to tell me about?  ;D

Thanks again John,

Phil

I installed a NGP antenna on the driver's side just behind the driver's window and in front of the slide.  I put it just behind the structural member that the seat belt uses.  Then I put the CB down by my left knee below the controls for the levelers/other switches.  The hole on the inside was covered with a piece of trim.  Seems to work fine.  SWR is about 1.2 on Ch 19.  The top of the 4' antenna extends about 10-11" above the roof line... sorta like the other roof stuff.

Thx, G.

First of all, the ~9' antenna is a compromise as is any antenna less than a full wave, actually all antennas have some form of compromise just by the nature of the beast.  Most of the non-ground antennas are half wave antennas which do not require an actual ground plane  as they create a "virtual mirror image" and thus work quite well.

The dual antenna provides a directional signal forwards and backwards.  The side mounted antenna  has better coverage but is skewed to the side it is mounted on.  This means you get the best signal and transmitt most effectively to that side.  The top mounted antenna is the best for all round signal coverage and if a no ground plane one is used is quite effective.  A good quality one like Firestik is a good one, there are others though that are as good or better.  It is best if it can mounted in the center of the roof as any offset will bias the signal direction as will any thing else protruding from the roof, A/Cs, metal vent covers, roof rail, etc.

Whatever you decide to use, be sure it is tuned for optimum results.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse the issue more.

Sorry to butt in... the approx 9' CB antenna is actually a 1/4 wave. Needs a ground-plane.

The formula is 234/f mhz. = feet. The standard long CB antenna is 102" (8.5')

Carson FL

All,

Thanks for the input.  taoshum, I have several follow up questions for you if I may.

1 - You say you installed just one antenna?
2 - And you are happy with the performance?
3 - What brand of NGP antenna did you use?
4 - Did you buy a kit and assuming you did, the kit came with appropriate mounting material to install it to your RV or did you have to buy additional parts?
5 - How did you route the antenna cable?  This may be related to the trim comment you made, I wasn't sure if that trim remark was about the routing of the antenna cable or the radio.

While I am picking brains here, has anybody done an install toward the center of the console/dash so the copilot can use the radio?

Thanks,

Phil

Skyking69 said:
All,

Thanks for the input.  taoshum, I have several follow up questions for you if I may.

1 - You say you installed just one antenna?
2 - And you are happy with the performance?
3 - What brand of NGP antenna did you use?
4 - Did you buy a kit and assuming you did, the kit came with appropriate mounting material to install it to your RV or did you have to buy additional parts?
5 - How did you route the antenna cable?  This may be related to the trim comment you made, I wasn't sure if that trim remark was about the routing of the antenna cable or the radio.

While I am picking brains here, has anybody done an install toward the center of the console/dash so the copilot can use the radio?

Thanks,

Phil

One antenna on driver's side; I'm happy but can't tell you the range in miles?; it's been too long ago to recall the brand, maybe Sargent? but it has a SWR adjustment built into the radio end of the cable so Google "4' NGP antennas" and look for one with a SWR adjustment on the cable; kit... yes but you need to get the "wall mount" instead of the "mirror mount" designed for big trucks; I ran the cable down the wall next to the seat belt column, then along the floor to the "side dash" next to the driver's seat, then I "stuffed" the excess cable length up under the side dash and used a cable tie to secure it; I used a piece of wood trim to cover the cable from the entry point on the wall to the floor. 

Hope this helps...  BTW: I had to put a foam pad on the antenna where it passes the rain gutter to stop the rattle against the rain gutter when there is a cross wind on the hiway; other than this it seems like a workable solution to CB antenna on a fiberglass RV.  Thanks, G.

taoshum,

Thanks for the detail, that all makes perfect sense.  Hopefully this is the last question for you, but does your antenna setup have a spring base?  The Firestik and its base mention it is an optional piece.  I don't see why it would be necessary, but I am curious to know if you put one on yours or not.  Maybe you or someone else could tell me why we would want that?  Your comment about the rain gutter is particularly insightful, experience driven, and we will look at that as we move forward.

Thanks again all,

Phillip

I didn't put a spring on the base... it provides more flex if you hit something with the antenna but seems to me that there is enough flex in the basic shaft for what I'm doing.  It would probably aggravate "the rattle against the rain gutter" problem, but I don't really know.

I like your thinking but am wondering about that antenna. I read somewhere that the ones not needing a ground plane also need special cabling made for that type of antenna. Have you needed to do this?
Thanks,
Greg Luckett NB8X

supermod38 said:
FWIW, two antenna's is not any better than one for his use, (just makes it directional)  if you install two it is just a waste of your $$$.
the best i have found for a MH is a marine no ground antenna. always hard to find a good ground on a MH because of the fiberglass.

good luck on the install.
bob

John Canfield said:
Holy thread revival Batman

LOL. I was reading this from the top because of the new post and about halfway down was about to offer up details on my install, then noticed the date. OP's probably sold the rig by now.  ;)

No!Please!!
Post your comments! I am right in the planning stages of installing a Cobra CB and a Firestick antenna.
I was into CB back in the day but many years have erased a lot of the technical knowledge I was using at the time.
Thanks!

I installed a Cobra all in one about six months ago, with a 3' Firestick no ground plane on an RV mount (the one where the cable is hidden) on the driver's windshield post area. Tuned to decent SWR and works for what I wanted (emergencies and road info). It all looks factory installed. However radio seems to be picking up engine electronic noise (as far as I can tell) and routinely breaks squelch even on max which is irritating. Since the antenna and mount are very high quality I'm thinking the little all in one radio, although it makes a very clean install, probably compromised my install. When I run out of things to spend money on may drop by a CB shop to get a professional opinion.

Back
Top Bottom