Starcraft 2408 lift system...right front corner out-of-sync with others.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chevloray

We just bought this camper, a 2000  model, from the original owners. It has been used very little, judging by the overall cleanliness and condition, along with their statements and that of a friend who knows the seller (family) and the wife (co-worker). So, I have no doubt as to the truthfulness of their statements.

However, I'm not satisified with the operation as you lift the roof and as it lowers. This past weekend, we took it for a shakedown. When cranking up the roof, the right front corner has a squeal/squawk, from time to time. None of the others make that noise. Then, as we had it erected, we had trouble getting the door to align and operate properly, which indicated to us that the roof wasn't up completely. Fast forward to the take-down and the end process finds that the right front corner hasn't fully-retracted and there is a gap at that corner of almost an inch. Clearly, the lift system didn't function properly.

Is this something that a newbie should tackle? Are there any published documents that explain how it works and how to fix it, or do I take it to an RV dealer to let them repair and service it? Does anyone have any idea how much such service should cost? (I don't want to stuck with paying for a canooter valve, if it doesn't really have one.)

Anyone with any comments to make or advice to share, please have at it.

If this model uses the same lift system my 95 Starcraft used, Here's what I did.
1)  checked for a bind on that corner.
2)  made sure the lift sections would slide in and out easily.  I think I used a very light coating of grease to smooth it up some.
3)  under the trailer there are a couple of cables that tie to the crank assembly.  They are adjustable.  My wife and I simply sorked together to get the top to raise and lower evenly

IMO, The doors on Starcraft are prone to this even when the roof is properly aligned.

BTW, I purchased my starcraft used from a reputable dealer who had it on consignment.  He had sold the camper to the previous owner new and said he could vouch for the condition.  After we had the camper for a few months, we noticed some water leaking out of the roof over the door frame.  A very close inspection showed rotted wood in the roof.  I came from an improperly installed A/C by the dealer it was purchased from when new.  When I took it back and tried to get some help on fixing the problem, the dealer disavowed any previous statements he made to us about how good the condition had been and basically told me since it was a used camper, he had no further responsibility, even though he knew he had told be it was in absolutely great shape with no water leaks.

Been away and didn't notice I had a reply. Thanks for the comments.

I took it to an RV dealer who said they would work on the lift system. Apparently, these aren't very high on their lists of things to do before they die. A Jayco dealer said they didn't work on Starcraft (but Jayco bought Starcraft, right?) Another RV dealer seemed to have been insulted when I asked him, telling me in a haughty tone of voice that they had not been trained to work on the Starcraft lift system... as if it was beneath their dignity to even expect them to answer my question.

Since our unit had sat for so much of the 10 years that it has been in our area, I should have had the lift system serviced before I used it. Live and learn. At $100/hr for labor, I'm hoping their expertise will be quickly demonstrated.

Once it is serviced and sets as it should, I expect to keep it lubed as it should have been done.

Okay, the reason that one corner didn't settle as it should is because the canvas was bunched up, according to the technician. So, we learned from our inexperience. So, now we'll be checking that and hopefully, we won't be repeat offenders.

They said something about the seals. I didn't get to talk to the technician, but assume that it is a seal at the bottom side of the roof....because there isn't one on the top of the sidewalls, where the canvas meets the sidewalls. If so, then it has to be a seal that is available in the aftermarket, so I'll be checking on it. I didn't notice  that there was an issue with the seals, so I'll check next time it is set up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom