Erratic cruise control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
S

seilerbird

My cruise control has been acting up lately. Sometimes I push the button to set the speed and nothing happens. Other times I push the same button and the speed is set. This is well above the minimum speed required for the cruise control to work. There is no rhyme or reason to when it will or will not work. Worked fine for the first six months I owned it. Any guesses?

First make sure all of the grounds for the CC are clean and tight.
J

Hello Tom, On my '94 Ford 460EFI, the switches are on the steering wheel under the horn cover. They are just small curved pieces of brass for each switch. They became corroded and I had to pull the cover and polish the ends and clean the copper plate they contact.

That has been about nine years ago and it still works fine.

Tom, it seems to me that if your cruise control operates OK when it is engaged, the vacuum lines are OK.  Generally when there is a vacuum problem, the speed is not maintained or it simply "drops out" of cruise control.  At the present time, I'm leaning towards a dirty switch, as Jerry points out, as being the culprit.

Jerrygroah said:
Hello Tom, On my '94 Ford 460EFI, the switches are on the steering wheel under the horn cover. They are just small curved pieces of brass for each switch. They became corroded and I had to pull the cover and polish the ends and clean the copper plate they contact.

That has been about nine years ago and it still works fine.

Good idea. My cruise control switch is located on the turn signal as it was added on. I will see if I can take it apart.

seilerbird said:
Good idea. My cruise control switch is located on the turn signal as it was added on. I will see if I can take it apart.

Try spraying some electric cleaner in the switch. That switch is obsolete, you don't want to mess it up.
J

I don't have any electric cleaner spray. It will have to wait till I get back to civilization...

Before you take the cruise control switch apart, try this.  When the cruise control doesn't engage, take your right foot and pull back on the brake pedal with it a bit and then try again.  Sometimes the brake pedal stays depressed enough to make the cruise control think you are braking but without actually applying the brakes.  This has worked for me.

rsalhus said:
Before you take the cruise control switch apart, try this.  When the cruise control doesn't engage, take your right foot and pull back on the brake pedal with it a bit and then try again.  Sometimes the brake pedal stays depressed enough to make the cruise control think you are braking but without actually applying the brakes.  This has worked for me.

Oh, that's a real good one. I will try it tonight. Thanks

rsalhus said:

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! Lifting up on the brake pedal worked. Thanks a million.

Time to attach a bungee cord to the brake pedal.

Tom said:
Time to attach a bungee cord to the brake pedal.

Good idea Tom. But I think I am going to have to replace the switch. After I engage the cruise control it seems like it doesn't want to disengage properly.

carson said:
I think Tom S needs a new RV. So many problems and so little time.  ::)

Carson FL 94.5?

I would love to get a new RV but all I could afford was $2600. I was expecting lots of problems and I will get them all solved soon. I only have one more month to go before SS kicks in.

On the other hand, the last class A I lived in was a black hole for money. The 2006 Providence my ex bought was a rolling disaster area.

carson said:
I think Tom S needs a new RV. So many problems and so little time.  ::)

Carson FL 94.5?

I've only been on RV forums for six months(I'm on three of them)and I'm sure a new RV will not cure his problems. He's just trying to fix the small problems that most older RV's have. The CC on my '88 has never worked and since I don't like CC I don't worry about it. I have many cars and trucks, the CC works on everything except the MH. I like being in full control, so I don't worry about the MH CC.
J

Tom,
    If you look up under the dash you may find that the brake light switch has an adjustment.  If it looks like a box with a little lever out the bottom just push down on the pedal and pull back on the lever and release the pedal.  My 88 GMC pick up would slip and I had to do this every year.

Back
Top Bottom