Fifth wheel hitch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davidsimmonds

Reese makes a hitch that rotates both front to back and side to side, I believe it's the 16K model? I was speaking with a long-haul truck driver and he asked why I would want it to swivel side to side. I didn't have a good answer. I have a 33' trailer. He suggested that swiveling side to side would make the trailer more prone to tipping over in the wind. I am open to any and all comments about this.

davidsimmonds said:
Reese makes a hitch that rotates both front to back and side to side, I believe it's the 16K model? I was speaking with a long-haul truck driver and he asked why I would want it to swivel side to side. I didn't have a good answer. I have a 33' trailer. He suggested that swiveling side to side would make the trailer more prone to tipping over in the wind. I am open to any and all comments about this.

The side-to-side swivel is almost a necessity when hooking/unhooking on uneven surfaces. I don't know of any instances that a trailer tipped over because of the side-to-side swivel. Put a lot of miles with swivwl hitches and nary a problem. Get one.  :)

As Bruce says, the side-to-side motion (sometimes called rocking) can be very handy when on uneven surfaces, e.g. many campsites if you go to state parks, Forest Service campgrounds and many older private parks.  I'ts not at all dangerous - Rv trailers are't prone to tipping in the wind because they mostly have  a much lower center of gravity than a loaded semi-traler.  And if they were, I don't think a rigid hitch would slow it down any - the tow vehicle would just go with it.

I used an RBW Little Rocker when we towed a fiver.

Back
Top Bottom