Best Caulk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

b777

My Coachman manual says not to use silicon based caulk,can someone explain why not?some of these caulks are supposed to be permanently waterproof,all weather, shrink and crack proof, so what gives? so what is the best caulk to use?Thanks in advance

I suspect it says silicone based caulk. Silicone will shrink and pull away from the adjoining surface over time.

The problem with silicone caulk is that once it is on, nothing else will stick to it. You can't re-caulk or even touch up your work without removing all the old caulk and cleaning thoroughly with mineral spirits or other solvent. Much better to use a non-silicone type.

I like the Geocel Proflex caulks, which are a tri-polymer type. Available in clear or colors and in many hardware stores and RV dealers (called Proflex/RV in the RV stores, but it's the same stuff).

For roof repairs, a self-leveling caulk is a good choice. Good brands are Dyco C-10 Flow Seal or Alpha Systems self-leveling caulk. This type of caulk can only be used on horizontal surfaces - it will run down a vertical surface.

Also consider using Eternabond tape to seal roof seams - the stuff is incredible and lasts forever.

Great info,now from whom can I buy these caulks at a reasonable price as I suspect they all must be a bit pricey

Not really. Probably $7-9 per tube in RV stores but maybe $6-7 in hardware stores. Ace carries Geocel ProFlex products. Or you can mail order from Amazon or Ebay, but the shipping adds to the cost.

Thanks once again Garry,I'm so glad to be on this forum,its been a life saver 8)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom