1999 Winnie UA Bad Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ellis_Hou

Several of you have helped me with what were relatively small problem in the past 4 months.  Well now I have a bigger problem.  Left the Houton area for Little Rock with the intent of getting to Columbus, Ohio for my brother's 60th wedding Aniv. by the end of next week.  Everything went great for a couple of hours.  Then a message to 'Check Transmission' and the Allison was no longer working.  I stopped on the narrow shoulder of Hwy 59 which had a lot of traffic.  The diesel was running OK.  I stopped the engine and read through what I had for the transmission.  Tried to restart the engine but it wouldn't even turn over even when I connected the coach batteries in.  Called Good Sam ERS and they said they would send a tow truck.  I waited.  While waiting someone that works at Motorhomes of Texas in Nacogdoches, TX stopped and spent probably 45 min trying to identify.  He had a good meter and tools and seemed to know what he was doing (which is way ahead of me).  His conclusion was that the voltage was dropping from 12.6 volts at the battery to only about 6 volts at the switches at the front of the coach.  The assumption being that the voltage was to low at the tranmission for it to work.  It also would not turn the engine over.  He has no real idea what the problem was causing this.  A large tow truck showed up and we agreed that the would tow the MH to the Motorhomes of Texas facility as the clowest qualified repair place.  But wait, we got to Motorhomes of Texas and they were not open; big gates with big locks so we couldn't park at their facility.  We ended up at a City park about a mile away and used their parking lot.  The tow truck driver insisted that I give him a check for $175 even though he was dispached by Good Sam.  I later called Good Sam and they said that the entire cost of the tow was covered and I should have had to pay anything.  Let me add for Good Sam that they then contacted the Towing Company and called me back to say that my check would be returned.  Almost through; we thought we would just stay in the MH until we could get it worked on Monday.  We called the local police to explain why our MH was parked in the Park parking lot.  They did not object to parking but said that there was City ordinance against staying in a MH parked on private property not permitted for MH use; we could leave the MH at the park as long as we didn't sleep in it.  Well we now get 2 nights in a motel with  nothing to do tomorrow.  I could understand if someone allowed problems like this to turn them against RVing.  If you didn't get tired and quit reading this post, I would appreciate any ideas about what might have caused the problem.  I don't think I could fix the problem but it might be of help in our discussion on Monday.  If they can't get it fixed by Tuesday morning, we are going to have to make alternate arrangements for the trip.

Bummer ...sounds like dead short somewhere sucking up most of the voltage. Sounds like the tech checked out the voltage leaving the batteries, so must be a connection somewhere between there and the engine/tranny ...bad/loose/corroded common ground or power connection perhaps. Likely the most difficult part will be tracing it down.  Like my refrigerator problem this past week, it could be very simple to fix, or maybe not. The good part for me was I was able to drive the rig for the 2 hr round trip. Once I got mine to a smart tech, he had it fixed in just a few minutes. I hope your fix works out as well as mine did compared to the trouble it has caused you.

Ellis_Hou said:
I would appreciate any ideas about what might have caused the problem

I don't have a clue, but low voltage sounds like a good culprit.

You now have the experience of being towed that many of us haven't 'enjoyed' yet - sounds like Good Sam came through for you.  My advice is to not get frustrated over your problems - it will take a while to get everything sorted out.  Sometimes getting things 'sorted out' isn't particularly enjoyable, but hang in there, it will get better.

Back
Top Bottom