Yard work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
We previously re-landscaped our front yard to be low (almost zero) maintenance, but we can't get away with that in our back yard. The weeds keep coming back every year, and every year we have them removed them by their roots. Several years ago, we and nine adjacent neighbors had weed-block fabric laid behind our houses, anchored with rocks. We were weed free for a couple of years, then the fabric silted over and the weeds were back.

The state has no idea how to get rid of this stuff, being somewhat shackled by EPA regulations. So we homeowners are left to deal with it ourselves. Here's how (those are divers with air lines in the picture).

Attachments

• weeds1.jpg
    weeds1.jpg
    566.6 KB · Views: 92
  • weeds2.jpg
    weeds2.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 67
Fortunately, we're several thousand miles from the mess in the Gulf.

You better hope they don't find oil in Discovery Bay :)

So what exactly is "yard work"? I don't believe I have ever heard the term.

Tom,

That's certainly a unique solution!  I suppose you and your neighbors could decide to replace the old weed-block fabric every few years when the weeds return.  It might be too costly, but at least you'd all have a few years of freedom from weeds.

ArdraF

Robert,

The tall weeds grabbed the surface stuff as it floated in and out of the bay, although I don't know what it is. One of the fishermen called it "cheese". The divers cleaned up behind 5 adjacent houses on our side of the street and one across the street.

Jim, that's our normal direction for berthing the boat. This stuff is almost like kelp, and there's no way we'd remove it that way, even with our 28" props. If we could, any fragments that were displaced would start another plant.

FWIW when I was bringing a friend's boat home, I inadvertently ran over some of this stuff, and it immobilized one of the props. I had to get a diver out to remove it before I could continue the journey.

OTOH the surface "cheese" went away when we left port a week ago, because it was just sitting there.

Tom, it looks like the stuff our neighbors have on their pond.  It's called ?"Duck weed"?  It's an algae and they use a chemical to remove it.  I don't know what the name of it is.  We don't have the EPA restrictions here like you do.  Nasty looking stuff. Good luck.

A cartoon in the Star Tribune today showed a road sign that reads "Welcome to Minnesota, land of 10,000 lakes" changed to "Welcome to Minnesota, land of 10,000 scum-covered fertilizer-polluted, algae-choked, fishless bogs."  Apparently Minnesota has decided a new sign is cheaper than actually DOING something about it.  :(

Don't know about that stuff on the surface. It only sticks around when it gets trapped by the sub surface weeds. The sub-surface stuff is Egeria Densa. Scroll down on this CA Dept of Boating and Waterways page. It doesn't grow in water much deeper than 10-12 feet, which is what we have at the stern of the boat (nearest the house). The depth falls off rapidly to approx 20 feet, then 30 feet in the middle of our bay.

They're limited with spraying to a few months of the year, which is sufficient to keep the water hyacinth at bay. They also can't get a spray down to the sub-surface stuff, and have been experimenting with a pellet form.

Back
Top Bottom