Tow Boat Behind Travel Trailer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seedlings

Hullo all.  We're still fooling around in the RV bedroom and haven't conceived a purchase as of yet.  Tent camping has been fun, but if we can upgrade to a travel trailer AND tow the boat behind that, then we're in - and this is where I need some experienced advice.

I called the MO highway patrol yesterday and they said it is legal to tow a boat behind a travel trailer behind my Durango (5.7 hemi, 3.55 ratio - I've been researching).  I've searched google, here, other forums, and need to know what is the hitch behind a TT called, or what do I need to look for in a TT so that a hitch can be attached for the boat?

Thanks!
CHAD

lostagain said:
Come to Maryland and try it off the Interstate. Been there.

So, you've towed a setup like this?  Can you help me learn what to look for in a TT so that a hitch can be installed, or are there TTs built for this setup?

And, I'm reading that you think it's a marginally bad idea, and appreciate your input.

CHAD

seedlings said:
So, you've towed a setup like this?  Can you help me learn what to look for in a TT so that a hitch can be installed, or are there TTs built for this setup?

And, I'm reading that you think it's a marginally bad idea, and appreciate your input.

CHAD

As a truck driver I pulled doubles and triples all over the US for many years. This is legal on all interstates and some states highways, not all. Each state has its own laws regarding vehicle length, weight and height on it's roads. I would love to tow my TT and boat when I go camping but it is to much of a hassle getting into gas stations, campgrounds, cities,  turning around, etc. Hope this helps.

seedlings said:
I called the MO highway patrol yesterday and they said it is legal to tow a boat behind a travel trailer behind my Durango (5.7 hemi, 3.55 ratio - I've been researching).

That is odd.  There are states in the Midwest that do allow double tows as long as the 2 trailer is a boat and the first/main trailer is a 5th wheel trailer.  Travel trailers are not included in that permission, for good reason.    I would check again with MHP or your DMV.

I've searched google, here, other forums, and need to know what is the hitch behind a TT called, or what do I need to look for in a TT so that a hitch can be attached for the boat?

It is called "hitch receiver behind a TT".    Trailer frames in general are pretty light.  The bumpers attached to them are design to carry not much more than a sewer hose and that inside the bumper.  If your boat is not much more than an inflatable or a smallish tin skiff, you could cobble up a Class I clamp-on ball hitch but would be a bit cockamamie.

If the boat is more than an inflatable or small tin skiff, the idea is bad.  You would be adding weight to the rear of the trailer, exactly where you should not put weight.  TTs are designed to be nose heavy to give them stability in towing.  Weight added behind the rear axles of the trailer will reduce tongue (nose) weight and tend to destabilize the tow.

Conclusions?

1.  Don't tow a boat behind a TT.
2.  If you absolutely must have a trailer and a boat, get a 5th wheel.
3.  If you are smart and want to tow a boat, get a motorhome.

Or just rent a boat when you get there. Much cheaper and safer.

Mo does seem to be very liberal on double tows i've seem people tow a utility trailer behind their toad and motorhome.
I doubt that travel trailers will be built for towing because it would be rarely done.

Hello,  here is the url of a site that may have the info you need,  includes all the states regarding lengths etc.  Lots of info there.
http://www.towingworld.com:80/articles/TowingLaws.htm
Den

Den said:
Hello,  here is the url of a site that may have the info you need,  includes all the states regarding lengths etc.  Lots of info there.
http://www.towingworld.com:80/articles/TowingLaws.htm
Den

That site has some problems.  The main one is that the footnotes are not shown.  The double tow provision has a footnote indicated but the table does not show it.

ya,  not only that,  but when you scroll down to the states , you lose the header info  for the many many colums.  tough to keep track of what each cell pertains to .
Certainly not the best designed,  but it is something anyway. 
Den

When I called the HP, I specifically said it was not a 5th wheel, and the officer said he sees that 'all the time'...

I am absorbing all the good information (even the suggestions against the entire idea).

CHAD

Den said:
ya,  not only that,  but when you scroll down to the states , you lose the header info  for the many many colums.  tough to keep track of what each cell pertains to .
Certainly not the best designed,  but it is something anyway. 
Den

The worst glinch is on California.  The table says double tows are legal.  What it does not say is that CA requires a Class-A CDL with a special double tow endorsement.  Folks like thee and me are SOL if we try it and are caught.    Even Joe trucker loses it if he does not have that endorsement on his ticket.

The moral is check with the state DMV or Vehicle Code.

seedlings said:
When I called the HP, I specifically said it was not a 5th wheel, and the officer said he sees that 'all the time'...

I am absorbing all the good information (even the suggestions against the entire idea).

Well then you are good to go -- in Missouri.  Iowa, Kansas, or Kentucky may be different.

seedlings said:

CHAD

it is a moot point if you simply get a pickup with a camper

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom