1993 Ford Taurus Wagon (toad) stuck in parking gear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smoky

Our 93 Taurus like many cars, requires the driver to depress the brake pedal before shifting into any other gear.  This afternoon we could not shift out of park no matter how hard we pressed the brake.  I discovered, however, with the Taurus, if I turned the ignition off, then halfway on (before the dash lights go on) I could shift into neutral, then start the ignition.  This saved the day for us.  All the gears work fine; it just won't shift out of park.

Upon reflection I realized that the electric switch has gone bad, that tells the transmission it is safe to shift out of park because the brake pedal has been pressed.

Does anyone know where this switch is placed on the Taurus, and if I can order the part and replace it myself?  I figure I can save a lot of labor expense if I just order the part and install it myself.

Smoky

It works off the brake light switch right above the brake pedal.  Sometimes when this happens all that is wrong is a brake light bulb is burned out. Make sure they all work including the center brake lamp.

And make sure your brake lights actually come on when you press the brake pedal.  If they don't, there also won't be voltage going to the transmission interlock when you step on the brake.

Possible causes are a bad brake switch or a blown fuse in the brakelight circuit.

Not sure on the Taurus, but on my old Nissan, the lock was setup with the shifter.  I would even hear it disengage when I pressed the brake pedal.

The brake lights DO NOT WORK.  So I a going out this morning to check for a blown fuse first, before going into town to buy a brake switch.

I still need to know if I can replace the brake switch myself and where the switch is located.  Corvette said it is near the brake pedal, but does that mean inside the car or under the car?

Smoky

On most vehicles I have seen, it is on the arm of the brake pedal, inside the car under the dash.  If you put your hand on the pedal (where you put your feet) and follow up the arm, you will find it.

Back
Top Bottom