Towing a 33' Travel Trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We recently purchased a 33' trailer and I am VERY nervous about pulling something this long through the mountains.  Anyone have any experience with this type of setup?  We are looking at a couple of different hithes to help control sway, etc. but it would be nice to get someone else's firsthand experience to help put me at ease.

Thanks!

First of all, Welcome to the RVForum.  Be sure and jump in on any thread you find interesting.  Also, look around at the library, there's a wealth of information.

Yep, a 33' long trailer is really long.  It would help if we knew what you are pulling it with. 
Again Welcome, lots of friendly folks here with a lot of knowledge.

Marsha~

Sorry about that...we are pulling with a F150 Supercrew, 4X4 6.5 foot box with max trailer tow package.  This trailer is a light weight model so the hitch weight is only 700 with an overall trailer weight of 7,500 lbs.

Dry weight is not usually what the trailer actually weights, dealers add options and the weight goes up.  You are more than likely much heavier than 7500 lbs; then when you add water, propane, kids stuff, your stuff, dog's stuff the weight continues to climb.  What most of us suggest is to put everything in it you are planning to take and have the trailer weighted at a truck stop or some other facility.  My gut feeling is your trailer is too big and weighs too much for your truck.  That's probably the first thing you want go get figured out.  If you have not taken possesion of the trailer, have the dealer weight it for you, which will give you a state. 

You can verify the "specs" of your truck at this website.  Notice on the right hand side is a list of years, click the year for your truck and you'll find the information.  http://www.trailerlife.com/output.cfm?id=1452097

If you are pulling in the mountains of the west, then you will need to reduce the amount of weight your truck can pull by a factor of 20%.  Gas engines loose efficiency the higher the altitude.  You may also need a weight distributing hitch and certainly a braking system on the trailer. 

Marsha~

I don't know the towing capacity of your configuration of F150, but here are things to keep in mind:
-the truck towing capacity is for a 150lbs driver and a full tank of gas, you need to subtract from the towing capacity anything else in the truck beyond that
-the trailer dry weight is an artificial number as it usually does not include options, propane, batteries.  Also you never tow dry you bring gear, food, cookware, etc.

So depending on your configuration, you could be over the limit of what the truck can handle and if that's the case I would avoid mountains and large fields with cross winds.

It probably would be wise to load up the truck and trailer as when you are ready to go and getting it weighed at a commercial scale to see where you stand.  The total truck and trailer weight should not exceed your GCWR (gross combined weight rating)

We have a 2010 F150 and the tow rating is the very controversial 11,300 lbs.  Now the actual dry weight of the trailer is 6,884 (I was off a bit).  I think even if that 6,884 didn't include everything we will still be under our tow rating of 11,300 lbs.

The link below is the trailer we purchased:
http://keystone-laredo.com/index.php?page=floorplans&model=296RE&year=2011

It is 6800lbs and change plus a carrying capacity of 1300lbs and change.  So a little under 8500lbs fully loaded with gear.  So looks like you are within specs.

Here's the Ford towing guide if you want additional towing info: http://www.fordvehicles.com/assets/pdf/towing/10FLMrvF150sep09.pdf

You will definitely want a weight distribution hitch with built-in sway control.  33 feet is a lot if area for side winds.

I pull a Jayco 30BHS with my 2007 Toyota Tundra.  It's about 33' including the tongue.  Pulling from Phoenix to Flagstaff is all mountain driving.  With the WD hitch, sway control and Brake controller, I don't have any problems.  Just take it slow the first time and you should be fine.

mooseandsquirrel said:
We have a 2010 F150 and the tow rating is the very controversial 11,300 lbs.  Now the actual dry weight of the trailer is 6,884 (I was off a bit).  I think even if that 6,884 didn't include everything we will still be under our tow rating of 11,300 lbs.

The link below is the trailer we purchased:
http://keystone-laredo.com/index.php?page=floorplans&model=296RE&year=2011

OK, your trailer GVWR is 8,200 lbs which wants to be pulled by a truck with a tow rating of 10,250 lbs in the mountains and plateaus of the west.  So, if Ford is to be believed, you are good to go.  Nevertheless, be ready to do some hils in 1st -- up or down.

With the side area of that 33 footer, you will want a damn fine anti-sway control.  Good units are the Reese Dual Cam, the Equal-i-zer, or the Hensley Arrow.  With that big trailer, you may want to give the Hensley a good long look.  It is pricey, but by all reports is worth the money.  My for-real rocket scientist buddy thinks it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. 

mooseandsquirrel,
  I sincerely mean no intensive insults, but a 1/2 ton truck with a 33' trailer is asking for trouble......I know these dealers talk the game and post their numbers, but seriously, I think you are really asking for trouble with a 33' rig.  Even if water and gray/black tanks are empty you will have loaded fridge, gear, clothes, propane, etc putting you well above the weight you posted.... :eek:
Either upgrade trucks or downgrade trailer unless you are only doing very local easy trips, but even then there is a huge risk IMO..... :-\

Derby6, that was my initial reaction too until I looked up his truck that has a 11300lbs towing capacity and a trailer with a GVWR of 8500lbs.  So while he won't be overweight, there are still other issues to consider:

At 8500lbs, I would be hesitant to tow that with a 5.4L engine, although I have not towed with a 6-speed auto transmission yet.

I would want a 3/4 ton (or ton) truck would be because the truck is heavier and better capable at staying on the road when cross winds hit that 33 foot sail.

Derby6 said:
mooseandsquirrel,
  I sincerely mean no intensive insults, but a 1/2 ton truck with a 33' trailer is asking for trouble......I know these dealers talk the game and post their numbers, but seriously, I think you are really asking for trouble with a 33' rig.  Even if water and gray/black tanks are empty you will have loaded fridge, gear, clothes, propane, etc putting you well above the weight you posted.... :eek:
Either upgrade trucks or downgrade trailer unless you are only doing very local easy trips, but even then there is a huge risk IMO..... :-\

Is pulling a 33' trailer with a new F150 any different than pulling a heavier Toy hauler with a 13 yr old F350? I didn't spend a lot of time researching but from what I saw on cars.com, the tow ratings on the trucks are about the same.

AZApplebee said:
Is pulling a 33' trailer with a new F150 any different than pulling a heavier Toy hauler with a 13 yr old F350? I didn't spend a lot of time researching but from what I saw on cars.com, the tow ratings on the trucks are about the same.

The F150 does not come with a V-10 or a 7.3L PSD

56kz2slow said:
The F150 does not come with a V-10 or a 7.3L PSD
I know the difference between the trucks.  7000lbs is 7000lbs no matter what your towing it with.  If Ford states the new F150 can pull as much as an old F350, why question it?

I'm not questioning the weight as much as the length of the trailer.  I would much rather tow 8500 lbs of steel plates on a 6x12 flat bed trailer than a large box 8'x8'x33' that weighs the same.  The towing capacity does not take into account the shape of the load, just the weight.

The curb weight of a larger truck is heavier and I would think would be better at counteracting the forces of strong cross winds.

I used to tow a 24 feet trailer with a Nissan Xterra.  My problems was not pulling the load, but handling it in the wind, that was with a properly set Reese Dual Cam hitch.

Thanks for everyone's input.  To answer a few questions:
1. We have the 5.4L V8
2. We have already purchased our rig so now it's determing the right hitch.  Can't decide between the Reece dual cam or the Hensley.  Is the Hensley really worth the money or will the Reese accomplish the same thing?
3. We didn't buy our trailer from a dealer, we purchased it through wholesale so nobody pressured us into thinking this truck could pull whatever we wanted it to pull.
4. Obviously other people are pulling these long trailers successfully while staying within their weight limits so I am looking for others experience doing so and how to be properly equipped.
The new F150's are alot different than the old models.  I would be happy to post our experience/pictures to share so others can see.

We have a 2010 F150 and the tow rating is the very controversial 11,300 lbs.

You are looking at the wrong column. The only one with the controversial 11,300 is a 4x2 Supercrew with a 5.5 ft box.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/assets/pdf/towing/10FLMrvF150sep09.pdf

Check out page 3 to see the chart I'm referring to.

Still, with the 4 x 4 you are still good over 11,000 lbs!

I have the 2009 F-150 4 x 2 short box and it's rated for 9,800 lbs as well. My trailer is 6,500 lbs loaded my truck pulls just fine!

Mike

CDN_Taxman said:
You are looking at the wrong column. The only one with the controversial 11,300 is a 4x2 Supercrew with a 5.5 ft box.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/assets/pdf/towing/10FLMrvF150sep09.pdf

Check out page 3 to see the chart I'm referring to.

Still, with the 4 x 4 you are still good over 11,000 lbs!

I have the 2009 F-150 4 x 2 short box and it's rated for 9,800 lbs as well. My trailer is 6,000 lbs dry my truck pulls just fine!

Mike
How long is your trailer?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom