Why did my beard growth slow down?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
S

seilerbird

This is a serious question and I almost didn't post it since it sounds so crazy. I turned 62 this month and to celebrate it at the beginning of the month I stopped doing the last few remaining drugs that were messing up my life. That would include caffeine, nose spray, aspirin and junk food (I know junk food is not a drug but it is as addicting and as bad for me as drugs are). So this past month has been the first time I have been 100% totally drug free. I have been noticing lately that my beard growth has very dramatically slowed down. After 24 hours my beard used to feel like #80 grit sandpaper. Now after 24 hours I barely need to shave. I did a Google search on beard growth slowing down and every hit was about how to speed up beard growth (teenagers love this subject) and nothing about it slowing down. Has anyone else ever experienced their beard growth slowing down? Is it just something that happens with old age or did quitting one of those drugs prompt it?

I believe it is an age thing, I turned 67 last month and my beard does not grow nearly as fast as it used, not to mention it is no longer black.  I used to shave every morning and by 5:00Pm I needed to shave again, now I shave every other day and it ahs hardly grown and does not hardly show.

Jim Godward said:
And how has your testosterone level changed.  Bet it is down!!

Actually it is at about the level of a teenager.

seilerbird said:
This is a serious question and I almost didn't post it since it sounds so crazy. I turned 62 this month and to celebrate it at the beginning of the month I stopped doing the last few remaining drugs that were messing up my life. That would include caffeine, nose spray, aspirin and junk food (I know junk food is not a drug but it is as addicting and as bad for me as drugs are). So this past month has been the first time I have been 100% totally drug free. I have been noticing lately that my beard growth has very dramatically slowed down. After 24 hours my beard used to feel like #80 grit sandpaper. Now after 24 hours I barely need to shave. I did a Google search on beard growth slowing down and every hit was about how to speed up beard growth (teenagers love this subject) and nothing about it slowing down. Has anyone else ever experienced their beard growth slowing down? Is it just something that happens with old age or did quitting one of those drugs prompt it?

STD?

Ok, so it's not a beard, but the hair on my legs grows a lot slower and is sparser than it was in my younger days....not complaining, just saying  ;D

Wendy

Wendy said:
Ok, so it's not a beard, but the hair on my legs grows a lot slower and is sparser than it was in my younger days....not complaining, just saying  ;D

Wendy

I think we are talking about something different here Wendy. On most older people most body hair gets thinner as we get older and it does so gradually. This is not thinning, this is growing much slower and it happened suddenly, in less than a month.

seilerbird said:
This is not thinning, this is growing much slower and it happened suddenly, in less than a month.
I have a vague memory of reading somewhere, somewhen this could be a sign of a thyriod deficiency.  Runs in my family.

maybe all the caffeine was supercharging your beard growth  ::) and without it you are just returning to normal beard growth levels.

TonyT said:
I have a vague memory of reading somewhere, somewhen this could be a sign of a thyriod deficiency.  Runs in my family.
btw here are standard symptoms for hypothyroidism:
-Decreased cardiac output and respiration
-Constipation
-Myxedema with impaired renal output
-Cold intolerance
-Muscle weakness, lethargy, fatigue

borntocruise53 said:
-Constipation
-Cold intolerance

I sleep in an unheated RV that gets into the 30s at night without a problem. I hike 5 to 10 miles per day. I have no pooping problems. I have no peeing problems. I don't think hypothyrodism is my problem.

borntocruise53 said:
-Constipation
-Cold intolerance
Gee, that sounds like me on a good day! :)

borntocruise53 said:
-Constipation
-Cold intolerance

Damn, I think I would rather just have the slow beard growth!

Just for fun...

Females have XX chromosomes
Males have XY chromosomes

Tom, is it possible you have lost the Y in your travels over the years?

Trust me, no offense intended.

carson FL

carson said:
Just for fun...

Females have XX chromosomes
Males have XY chromosomes

Tom, is it possible you have lost the Y in your travels over the years?

Trust me, no offense intended.

carson FL

Maybe I took a wrong turn at the Y in the road ;D

You can't offend me Carson, I am offended just being here ;D ;D ;D

Tom, it's just a sign of maturing. 

Your beard growth has most likely not slowed.  It just appears that way because the hair in your nose and ears now grows so much faster. ;) :D

Ask any of the senior citizens around here. ;D ;D

aka Porky said:

Your beard growth has most likely not slowed.  It just appears that way because the hair in your nose and ears now grows so much faster. ;) :D

That is an image I may not be able to get out of my head for a long..long...time!

aka Porky said:

It can't be a sign of maturing, I refuse to mature. It most definitely slowed way down. The hair in my nose and ears slowed down and so did the hair on my head. It is just more noticeable on my face since I shave every day. My razor blades use to last about 3 shaves now they last about two weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom