Using Laptop while camping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
aka Porky said:
Ned, 'splain rooting, free tethering with Droid and everything else talked about here, to me if you can/will. ;) :D

I'm going to update my Verizon phone soon and have a large ignorance GAP when it comes to smart phone features.  I currently use the ($59 per month) tethering feature when traveling, and shut it off when not traveling.  Is there something better and/or cheaper?

I'm not really interested in ALL the Smart Phone features yet.  I'll investigate those as I think I need them.

I'm with you... I didn't even know what the words meant at first.  BTW: my nephew  introduced me to some software for the Canon Elph camera that opens up a whole new world of possible settings and options that don't exist with the OEM "firmware", if that's what it is called.  In order to load the other "firmware", you have to press another button when you turn the camera on, then you get an option to load the OEM stuff or the new stuff.  He loaded the new stuff on a SD card so if you want to restore the camera to the original OEM condition, just insert a new SD card or change the filename on the existing SD card.  He warned me that some cameras are ruined by this but we've not had any trouble.

The reason I'm looking at Virgins Broadband2go is I don't need a contract. I can buy the stick once I enter the US, use it for a month and leave. I also need to pick a PAYG cell phone for the same time period.

seilerbird said:
I use a Verizon air card. $60 per month for 5 gigs. It saves me more than $60 per month and it works just about everywhere. Even while driving down the road in the middle of nowhere.

Verizon now has pay as you go air card plan..one week..one month etc...no contract. Buy the usb stick (about 180 dollars)...pay as you go..works for me. Now I don't have to fight campground WIFI quirks and slow speeds.. :)

Pubtym said:
Verizon now has pay as you go air card plan..one week..one month etc...no contract. Buy the usb stick (about 180 dollars)...pay as you go..works for me. Now I don't have to fight campground WIFI quirks and slow speeds.. :)

What are the rates for a pay-as-you-go data plan?

gmsboss1 said:

Did I die and return after a time warp?  Are the Vanderbilts, Kennedys, Rockefellers and the other monopolistic titans of industry back in control of the US?  I thought we voted that down and made room for the middle class to do OK.  Goldman Sach's CEO got a $63,000,000 bonus last year...  That oughta pay for lunch.  These Vz rates are higher than oil prices.  What happened to the economy of scale? Let's break up Ma Bell Jr and set some network standards, just for the hell of it.  Oh, I forgot congress represents us.

Jeff said:
Thanks Don.

Pretty pricey.

For occasional users.. non fulltimers....short trips..I believe it's the way to go..stay in control of what you want to use. It's there when you want it..not at the courtesy of the rinky dink set up at many campgrounds.

No expensive two year contract.

Pay as you go is turning to the preferred approach ...

Rates will drop as competition comes to Verizon.

Pubtym:

I understand but you can usually buy WIFi at parks that charge for it for far less than 10.00/day.

Jeff said:
Pubtym:

I understand but you can usually buy WIFi at parks that charge for it for far less than 10.00/day.

Jeff,

Been there, done that, rinky dink, slow speed, hassle. System security? Tango net could take you (ID) and your hardrive on their tango to China....for less than $10 dollars a day. ;) Bon Voyage. ::)

It's overall quality/security of WIFI when and where you want it.

Not for everyone...but meets my needs exactly. :)

Back
Top Bottom