tv conversion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigmac

I have replaced my old RCA television in my coach with a new Sharp HD Digital tv. I have the tv running Thur a video distribution center and  a direct tv receiver.
My problem is i have low volume. The volume on the tv is turned up all the way. When the old tv was installed, i could control the volume using the direct tv receiver. With the new tv that will not work.

Can you help me with my problem ?

How is the TV connected to the distribution center? You may need to run separate audio cables. HDMI cable carries audio, but I notice I get sound degradation on mine as well.

There is more than one volume control to consider. You have the one on the set, the one on the remote for the set., the one on the receiver and the one on the receiver remote. Turn them all up until you solve the problem.

You actually only have one volume control, the one on the TV.  The remotes just control the setting of the TV volume.  The DirecTV receiver doesn't have a volume control, it's line level audio output.  Does your video switch have RCA jacks or just the coax jacks?  If the DirecTV receiver has an HDMI output, then it would work best to connect that directly to the TV and don't use the video switch.  Same thing if you use the white/red L/R stereo audio out and yellow video out jacks.  Again, connect direct to the TV.  In any case, the only volume control you will have is the one on the TV, regardless of which remote is used to control it.

If you need to drive a second TV, then use the coax output from the receiver to the video switch to connect to the other TV.

My receiver box does not have a HDMI outlet. Coax cable. I bypassed the distribution box and connected from receiver direct to the TV. Still no luck with the volume.

Bigmac, have you had any luck solving the low sound problem?  We are having the same problem with our Sharp Aquos TV conversion.

My problem is i have low volume. The volume on the tv is turned up  all the way. When the old tv was installed, i could control the volume  using the direct tv receiver. With the new tv that will not work.

Big Mac

Sorry for the long response delay, I must have missed your first post. The TV volume on the DTV remote requires that you program the new TV into your receiver. Then the volume and on/off controls on the DTV remote will control the TV.

AS for the volume, are you sure the TV speakers are not blocked?

Coax to the tv delivers a composite video signal - sound and picture on a single coax cable. The ONLY sound processor/amplifier and volume control is in the tv, no matter which remote you use to adjust it.

Are you trying to get the sound through the tv's speakers or some other external speakers in the RV? The tv set-up (using the onscreen menus) will be different for one vs the other. For example, you may have to tell the Sharp that you want sound on the external speaker output jacks rather than internal. 

Back
Top Bottom