1st trip with TT -- 2 questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bogart

Hi, all,

We'll be taking our first trip with our new (to us) TT before too long and I'm trying to learn the ropes.  Two safety-related questions:

1.  Is it better (weather permitting) to drive with at least one window on each side of the trailer open a bit (the TT is a Jayco and we can do this without the windows sticking out).  The seller of the TT said he'd heard this was a way to reduce sway -- seems to make sense but I don't know if there's some reason it's a dumb idea. 

2.  Should we turn on the fridge before we get rolling or wait 'til we get to our destination?  I thought I remembered waiting was safer (ages ago we attended the Life on Wheels event that used to run several times per year and I thought I'd heard this there) but DH says not?

Any other safety advice / general tips much appreciated.  I have printed out the arriving/departing checklist from the library.  Thanks in advance!

-- bogart

1)Baloney!  Close the windows to prevent excess drag.
2) About two days before you leave, turn on the refer.  Day before you leave load food.  Just before you leave, open gas bottles, purge the air from the gas lines and turn the refer to either auto or gas and leave.  When you arrive at the camp ground, if you have electricity, simply plug the trailer in and you are ready to enjoy a cold one.
Remember, an absorption refer as found in most RV's is not like your home compressor type refer and needs at least 24 hours of cool down before it will keep food safe.

Just learning about driving with a travel trailer myself, so no answer to question one.

However, yes to turning the fridge on a couple of days before. Really, only about 8 hours or so is necessary. That way the beer will be cold and the ice cream will still be hard!

Enjoy your first trip.

Mike

I will second Donn's message.  Opening windows will have zero effect on sway. Salesmen, sheesh!  :mad:

Run the fridge to cool it down before you leave.  Overnight will do fine.  If you are refueling shut it off at the fridge, not the tanks, to keep the igniter from sparking.  Otherwise no problems will the fridge on while you are running.

OK, thanks everyone!

In fairness, it was the prior owner, not a salesman, who told us that about the windows -- though he may have heard it from a salesman.

Looking forward to getting on the road and appreciate your help!

-- bogart

We have traveled with our new-to-us TT three times this year so far.  I found that if you freeze a gallon jug of water and run the refrigerator for a day or so before you leave that the items in the frig will stay cool while you are traveling.  I have a refrigerator thermometer and when we leave home at 40 degrees, by the time we arrive at the campsite 6 hours later the temp is still below 50 degrees.  Of course we make sure everything we put in the frig is already cold.

Once I put a bag of ice in a bin in the frig, and it did the same thing.

Nice to have something cold to drink when you arrive.

Opening window while driving will suck in more dust, waiting to turn fridge on upon arrival will only result in a warm fridge for at least a day or more depending on how much stuff is in there.  My windows are all closed and my fridge is nice and cold before I leave and when I arrive.

Carl L said:
If you are refueling shut it off at the fridge, not the tanks, to keep the igniter from sparking.

Never thought of this before. I've never turned it off to fuel up. Makes sense. At least my fridge is on the opposite side from the TV's gas door.

Carl L said:
Otherwise no problems will the fridge on while you are running.

There are a few tunnels that require the bottles to be off.

There are a few tunnels that require the bottles to be off.

Yes, but a very few.  I have never personally encountered one in 15+ years of towing.  Some ferries also require tank shut off.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom