We Finally Have the TS Back

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BernieD

We had a number of "issues" over the winter; our backup monitor stopped working on the way home from the Christmas/New Year rally in Tucson, our front TV started developing lines across the screen and I connected with a couple of stationary objects maneuvering around a campground. Luckily, extended warranty and RV insurance covered most of the bill. We dropped off the coach in early April to have all this work done, but it took over a month to get in a replacement bay door. By the time it came in, Marlene was in line for surgery so we had no push to have everything done. The coach finally was ready last week but with our heat I tried waiting for an early morning pick up time since I would have to tow the toad back (Marlene won't be able to drive yet for a while) and finally took it home this morning.

The shop (Kiss RV in Peoria) did an excellent job on the body work and painting. Coach looks like new, can't tell old from new.

The backup monitor was a major problem. There was no OEM replacement available that could be connected. One that we tried did not have a wiring schematic and everyone was afraid of frying the motherboard. I finally got a suggestion on another forum about using a flat screen portable 7" LCD TV as a monitor, an Axion 8701 available at Best Buy or Amazon for $100. It was small, but has a larger screen than the replaced monitor, fit over the hole from the old monitor without much intrusion and was about 1/3rd the cost of the non-usable OEM monitor. It was a direct plug to plug connection, the major issue (easily solved) being to wire the 12v power.

Finally, there was the TV and all of the related issues; installing, wiring, connections with home entertainment and VCR and moving the digital converter from the antenna input to the rear TV which is still analog. The old TV was a standard, flat screen, 23" CRT sitting inside a big box above the dashboard between 2 cabinets. Of course the lower right corner was a head catcher. A new CRT was not considered and I looked for the largest LCD HDTV that would fit. With help from Kiss TV, we determined that a 32" Samsung would fit the space between the cabinets with minimal modifications. The shop installed the TV from a top mounted hinge so that the TV swings up to access a new, large storage compartment, which he carpeted and finished. We have DirecTV, but not an HD satellite antenna but the crankup antenna does a great job of bringing in the local stations in HD. The shop also relocated the digital converter to the bedroom to provide local TV programming also.

I forgot to bring my camera with to take pictures and it is too hot to go back now. Maybe during the next couple of mornings it will be cool enough to go to the lot and take some pictures to post.

Ernie Ekberg said:
Bernie, do you know what caused the lines to appear on your tv?

Ernie

No. Talking with some electronics people, I was told that it was an indication of some electronic component failure which would soon result in complete failure. As long as the extended warranty was going to provide some reimbursement, I decided to replace it at my convenience rather than when on the road somewhere.

I had to go back to the coach for the TV serial number and brought my camera along. Couldn't find a before picture of the old TV but it was mounted inside the cabinet, the installer leveled and carpeted it, and was surrounded by a 3" frame of wood matching the side cabinets.

Attachments

• Backup monitor on dash (Small).jpg
    Backup monitor on dash (Small).jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 93
  • cabinet from old CRT (Small).jpg
    cabinet from old CRT (Small).jpg
    460.9 KB · Views: 91
  • connections underside of TV (Small).jpg
    connections underside of TV (Small).jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 81
  • TV mounted between cabinets (Small).jpg
    TV mounted between cabinets (Small).jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 76
  • TV up exposing cabinet (Small).jpg
    TV up exposing cabinet (Small).jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 92
My only complaint about Kiss is that too many people know they are good!

BernieD said:
I connected with a couple of stationary objects maneuvering around a campground.

Oh come on Bernie,

I want to know all of the  details.  Are you in line for HFWPOH Award?  Russ continues to be in my top spot ( think Moab)  for this award unless you fess up all details.  Glad you got it fixed but you must  share details so we can give you a fair amount of grief or sympathy.

Betty

All of the details :( :'( :

Scrape marks below passenger window from pickup truck trying to pass on right.

Scrape marks on right and left rear corners backing up trying to maneuver around tight corners and walls on side of road.

Dented hot water heater panel and dents and scrape marks along bottom of bay doors when someone (not Marlene) backed me into a space without allowing for a large rock.

Swinging around a large concrete pillar while pulling into a pull-thru space before waiting for Marlene and pushing in a bay door so bad that it had to be replaced.

Most could have been avoided if I just had the patience to wait for Marlene to spot me. Not sure if I surpassed Russ but I did have a sore forehead.

Back
Top Bottom