Dometic refrigerator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

circlehook

I have a Royale Dometic RM3662 refer that has stopped working in the gas mode. The gas mode starts normally and the pilot light ignites but, after around 15-20 secs there is click the pilot light goes out and the check light comes on. I'm thinking it may be a bad Thermocouple? I checked the fuse's on the circuit board and they are OK. I don't think it is bad gas since it had been working fine for the first four days of the trip on the same tank. All help is most appreciated.

There are two or 3 possible issues here.

1: is the flame properly adjusted?  As few friges as I've seen that were not working I have seen one with a very feeble flame,  Cleaning and adjusting the burner tube and orifice fixed it  If the flame is not up to spec then the next problem won't be happy

2: There is a small "pin" or Wire like device that is supposed to be "in the flame" that is the flame heats it up, This is a thermocouple, if it's gone bad then it is not sending the proper signal to #3 on the list

3: Bad control (mother) board.

Not only are those in order of operation. but in order of occurance as well.

NOTE on 2/3  There is a 2.5 and that is a bad connection between thermocouple and mother board.

That is the classic symptom of a "no flame" report to the control board. If the flame sensor does not send a signal (a small voltage) to the control board within about 15 seconds, it shuts the gas supply off to prevent unburned gas from escaping and risk of explosion.

It may be the flame sensor itself (which is also the igniter), but more often it is corrosion on the wired where it connects at either end. The voltage signal is very small and it doesn't take much to stop it. Remove the wire and clean the contact with a pencil eraser. Or just slip the connector off & on several times - that is often enough. If that fails, replace the igniter/sensor - they aren't expensive. Tey are available form many online RV parts stores.

I think that my problem is the thermocouple? If I tested the wires correctly (I have the two wire type) it is not sending the 25-35 millivolts required to the mother board. The problem now is that I can not figure out how to remove the thermocoulpe. It is buried in the sheet metal flue section and after removing the gas line, wires, and all the sheet metal screws I could find I still can't get the assembly out :mad: If I knew how to post a pic I think that would help?  I don't want to start bending metal or pull on the components harder than I already am, I have to think there is a trick to this removal that I'm missing?

Thanks again for any help.

Posting a picture is easy. On the full Reply window (not Quick Reply), there is a line below the text entry area labeled Additional Options...
Click that and you get a line which says Attach: and has a box to enter the location of the picture. Click the browse button to locate the picture file on your computer to fill in the location box and you are done. When you POST the message, the picture is uploaded.  There is a size limit, though. 250 KB per picture and 2000 KB for a max of 12 pictures.

Thanks again guys, with frustration comes aggression and extra brute force ;D which resulted in me being able to remove the exterior burner cover plate. They sure did not make it easy to remove or replace this unit since the frame around the unit prohibited easy removal, but Once that was accomplished I was able to remove the contents of the burner can including the thermocouple. This indeed was the problem. After a quick trip down to the local RV supply store I was able to replace it rather quickly. The unit has been running on gas for the last 45 Min's or so with no apparent problems :) Thank you all so much for all your help. I never would have been able to fix this without your help, and I'm sure you saved me hundreds of dollars. I hope I can return the favor sometime.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pearl Constance de_la She
Back
Top Bottom