What's the story you're sure to tell campers you meet for the first time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wendy307

The wonderful thing about camping is that there's almost always a mix of both people you know well and people you get to meet for the first time.  I've noticed most of our established friends and family members usually each have that one story they're sure to tell to anyone who hasn't heard it before.  My husband will usually tell the story of how we purchased an RV one autumn, had the dealer store it, and when spring came and we went to pick it up, we'd decided on an upgrade.  He likes to believe it's the quickest trade- in ever.

What's the one story you or a friend/ family member will surely tell to new camping friends?

Wendy said:
Hey, careful !! It's a proven fact that all "Wendy"s are highly intelligent.

Wendy

It is obvious that all Wendy's are intelligent. I am just worried about getting you two mixed up. The "other" Wendy better not start using a Lab as her avatar.

Maybe she'll tell us what the "307" stands for and then you won't mix her up with "plain" Wendy. And could there ever be another avatar as cute as my Gordon?

Wendy

Wendy said:
And could there ever be another avatar as cute as my Gordon?

Only if I use a photo of Tarzan for my avatar. Nothing is cuter than my Tarzan.

Working in RV sales I can tell you about a much quicker trade than fall to spring.  My fastest was a Dec to Jan.  My second quickest was Nov to March. 

Our story, how we full timed in a tent trailer miving cross country. 

I bought my last RV (class B van) in October and sold it in December and got my Allegro.

Back to the OT:

We tow a '73 VW behind the motorhome. We get a lot of comments about it (it's amazing how many people owned a VW at least once in their lives) so those folks usually get the story of how this VW's predecessor was killed by a gravel truck in Sacramento.

If anyone comments on our yellow lab, Gordon, we tell them how we adopted him from the Las Vegas animal shelter.

Wendy (with no numbers)

Yes, but you can't base anything on what Tom does.  He hasn't been normal for a very long time.  I think he must have got across a 240 line when he was working.

Interesting, when a thread starts right off with thread drift! Teehee!  ::)

Fascinating, when it doesn't make it back from drift!  ;D ;D ;) 

Gosh, I gotta say I feel a bit like I did when I attended my husband's first family reunion when the first comment is "oh no, not another Wendy", followed by inside jokes,  and my topic not being addressed until 10 messages into the forum... Good thing I myself am from a large family and used to having to work to get attention.  My name's not really Wendy, if that helps.

Sorry we hijacked your thread but in our defense, several of us did answer your question and provided the story we tell other campers. And I thought comparing us to family was appropriate....we do, after all, call ourselves "framily" :)

Wendy (and that really is my name :) )

Usually the best RVing stories are the ones we prefer to "not" tell others -- because they are the stories of how we really screwed up somehow. Those stories become the favorite ones our friends love to tell others about, especially when we are not around.

Jerry Fitzgerald loves to tell the story when I am around -- or get me to tell the story of my TV sat dish setup in Reno in the mid to late 90's. This was during the time that the small dishes were first becoming available to RVers. Roof mounts were not in use as yet. I had developed a technique for dish set up on a make shift tripod that I was very proud of -- and enjoyed showing others how easy it was to find the right bird.

On my first weekend trek to the then Reno Hilton RV park on the South East quadrant of the intersection of the 80 East West freeway and the 395 North South Freeway I had ocassion to do this. After backing into my site and hooking up I got my stuff out and began setting up my dish. My neighbor in the next site immediately came out and asked it he could watch me set up as he and his wife were considering such a dish. I, of course, said yes -- as that gave me opportunity to brag about my dish setup skills.

After explaining how to get the info on that location, how to use a cheap compass to get the general location, and finally how to zero in on the right bird - I explained how within 15 minutes max, I would be watching satellite TV.

Unfortunately, the bird eluded my search. I of course explained that something must be wrong with the setup info I had retrieved. But after checking I still could not find the bird. However, I still had other reasons why it was not happening for me. And my neighbor listened to each -- noting my expert analysis for when/if they decided to buy a dish.

After about an hour, my patient neighbor said their dinner was ready. About 3 hours later I noticed he and  his wife having a glass of wine while watching the late news on park cable TV. Around midnight, I noticed the lights go out in their RV - just before I noticed him peeping out the blinds at my efforts by flashlight.

The next AM I had decided the problem was most likely a bad cable between the dish and the TV and was in the process of replacing all of them. My neighbor stopped by momentarily to say goodbye -- and diplomatically said he was sorry that there was an equipment failure in my setup. They then left. I decided to have a cup of coffee before giving in -- and hooking up to park cable. As I sat there, I began looking at the park map that was given to me when I checked in. My trusty compass was also sitting on the table.

As I stared at the map, it suddenly dawned on me that I had simply read the compass wrong -- actually, 180 degrees wrong. I had spent all this time pointing the dish 180 degrees in the opposite direction of the sat location. After turning the dish around, I was on the bird in just a few adjustments . . .  :(

Anyway -- I would imagine that my neighbors in the Reno park did not buy a TV sat dish for quite awhile, and really enjoyed telling others about this fellow they had met in Reno.  Also, if Jerry ever wants to tell you the story -- please tell him you have already heard it.  :) :)

And here I thought I was the quickest trade.  We worked for several months fixing it up, a class C, in fact its on this forum.  Then I took it to Matagorda and a few other quick trips and bought a class A. 

Haven't been sorry.  We lost a bit of the remodeling money, but since we did it ourselves, mainly our time.  I have not regretted getting the newer one.

Wendy said:
Back to the OT:

We tow a '73 VW behind the motorhome. We get a lot of comments about it (it's amazing how many people owned a VW at least once in their lives) so those folks usually get the story of how this VW's predecessor was killed by a gravel truck in Sacramento.

If anyone comments on our yellow lab, Gordon, we tell them how we adopted him from the Las Vegas animal shelter.

Wendy (with no numbers)

I am so happy to find a post where you name the lovely dog whose picture is your avatar : ) I am fond of labs, having owned 4 over the years, but I am especially taken by yellow males : ) My heart-dog was a yellow named Jake and we had a rescue named Bax. Currently we have a black female who was my husband's 50th birthday present, who goes by either, Grey, Greyla or Stink : )

~JeanMarie (of Ray and Jean)

RayandJean said:
I am so happy to find a post where you name the lovely dog whose picture is your avatar : ) I am fond of labs, having owned 4 over the years, but I am especially taken by yellow males : ) My heart-dog was a yellow named Jake and we had a rescue named Bax. Currently we have a black female who was my husband's 50th birthday present, who goes by either, Grey, Greyla or Stink : )

~JeanMarie (of Ray and Jean)

Thanks Jean. Gordon is our 3rd lab, Rico was a black male, Sam was a chocolate male and now goofy Gordon, a yellow male (all were neutered). Funny you had a yellow lab named Jake, we had a beagle named Jake. Dogs make good stories to tell other campers.

Wendy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom