4 KY Genset Fuel Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

b777

My KY 4000 Genset starts up for a few seconds then stalls,I want to replace the fuel filter for it but unable to follow the fuel line to it,any ideas where it might be located?I have a Class C Coachman,Thanks

Is that an Onan model? Never heard of KY as a brand name, but Onan has a KY model of generator. Here is the manual for the Onan KY 4000 genset

http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/specsheets/a-1421.pdf

But I think the fuel filter, if any, may be external to the generator. Normally, it is right at the fuel inlet to the generator, or very close to it.

Does it run as long as you hold the Start switch, then shut down?  Onan needs to see AC voltage from the generator and oil pressure in the engine to keep running after you release the switch.

Check the oil level - if it's OK then the generator is not putting out voltage.  Probably a bad voltage regulator.

b777 said:
My KY 4000 Genset starts up for a few seconds then stalls,I want to replace the fuel filter for it but unable to follow the fuel line to it,any ideas where it might be located?I have a Class C Coachman,Thanks

On our Coachmen Mirada with the 4KW Onan the fuel filter was just before the fuel pump at the lower left side of the generator.

Howard

Thanks everyone,I will first try and replace the fuel filter as it most likely has not been replaced since new,I am also going to change the oil,oil filter and plug.At the moment the generator will start up upon spraying starter fluid into carb but almost immediately stalls thereafter,any other tips would be most helpfull to this newbe ,Oh I dont know why I called the Genset a KY,must have been thinking about someother lubricant! ;D

Possibilities are the fuel filter, a leaking fuel line (sucking air) or a bad fuel pump. Old fuel lines are particularly susceptible to pinprick air leaks that stop the genset from running.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom