Leaking propane tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AA4WP

We have been getting a whiff of propane stench for some time now as we pass by the 2004 Journey MH in and out of the house.  I finally took the coach to a MH dealer and the fellow there spent about an hour with sudsy water and a manometer and couldn't find a leak.  Later, we had the misfortune to have the coach towed 50 miles for another repair.  When we arrived at the repair shop, the service manager noticed the propane smell (it seemed to be stronger), stating that he could hear the leak.  He climbed under the propane tank and said he could see the leak; it was a break along the bracket which was welded to the tank to secure the tank to the chassis.

My question is:  can the propane tank be repaired, or will I have to replace the tank?

Replace the tank, they are not expensive. Unlikely to find someone who is qualified and willing to do a repair.

By the time the tank is removed and all the LP evacuated so it can be welded, I suspect that it is just as cheap to replace it. Go to a propane shop for  info on repairs and replacements - no need to go through an RV dealer.

Sounds like a installation defect - wonder if Winnie could be persuaded it should not have happened at such a tender age.

Call Winnebago and report the problem - I experienced the same situation on my '04 Meridian (after the tank was inspected for the recall) and Winnebago replaced the tank.

Thanks, RedT....I will give Winnie a call Tuesday.  I crept under the coach yesterday and observed a smear emanating from the point where the bracket joins the tank; looks like a clean patch with dirt spraying down and around the tank.  Before I looked at the leak location, I observed that the analog guage on the tank indicated about 3/4 of 1/4 full; when I  picked up  the coach in Evansville Friday, the guage indicated about 4/5 of 1/2; it had dropped that much in three days.  I had turned off the main valve; no possibility of a leak downstream of the regulator.  Now today the guage indicates E. (as in zero)  The odor lingers however; probaly the stench is still on the tank around the leak.

This is my third RV (one trailer and one other motorhome) and have never had a propane tank to leak before.  We are really discouraged, especially since this is not the only problem we have had this week.  The HEUI pump set us back almost 3K$, and we now need to replace the air gap valve on our commode.  At least I believe I can do that repair myself.

Again, thanks for the suggestion.  My DW had already made that suggestion.

Wendell

I know this post is from last year but I just found the exact same problem with my propane tank. I was making a trip from Virginia to HWH to have my slide repaired and last week and kept smelling propane. I thought it was just from the heat since last weekend was realllly hot. But when I kept smelling it I crawled under the tank and found a leak at the bottom weld point of the bracket. It was leaking liquid propane not gas. (i had filled it before leaving VA). I was at HWH at the time and had to find someone to take care of it for me so HWH could start their repairs. I found Mike at A1 Propane in Iowa City and he was able to drop the tank and will burn it off later. I made my appointment at HWH on tuesday but now I don't have a tank. I called Winnebago and was given  number to Manchester the tank manufacturer but was told they didn't think Manchester would warranty the tank after 8 years.

I just wanted anyone else with a 2003-2005 tank to be aware and keep an eye on it.

Appreciate the Heads Up on the propane tank.  Since mine is a 2004 Meridian I guess I'd better be keeping a close eye on it.  No odors at this time and the coach can set for a month or two with only the frig on propane and the gauge will hardly move.

I'm not sure I understand some of these accessory equipment companies.  It seems if they have a manufacturing defect in one of their products they should stand behind it even if it takes 20 years for the defect to show up.  It was a defect afterall and or it wouldn't be showing up at all causing the customer problems.  Guess that's why most RV manufacturers only warranty their product for one year,  anything should hold together for at least that long. 

Sent an email to Winnebago and they called me today and said that mine wasn't part of the recall but that there was a upgraded bracket i am assuming it is like a belly band that helps support the the weight of the tank to keep it from putting so much weight on the welded bracket of the tank. Wagonmaster2 you may want to check on that. They have authorized me to get the upgraded bracket and 2 hours of labor to have a new tank installed BUT I have to pay for the tank. I was quoted from a Winnebago dealer $966 and that does not include shipping. Just wonderful. I think I may just wait until next year when I am at GNR and have them do it there. Or I may find another route. Who knows.

I know this is an old post but same problem.  I've got a 2004 Meridian 39' and just received word from Winnebago that my Meridian didn't fit the date criteria so it was not modified with a new propane tank.  When I purchase the used Meridian in 2007 it had a NEW propane tank on it at that time, but with a 2003 manufacture date.  Now 7 years later another tank has failed.  I can not believe with such a safety issue Winnebago doesn't want to fix all of the potential problems.  Do they want to wait until someone gets killed?

If there is any chance Mike & Pat read this, do you have the phone number at Winnebago that I might at least get the new mounting brackets? 

My dealer is quoting me $1,200.00 for the part and 1-2 hours of labor.
Thanks, Ernie

Back
Top Bottom