Banks air filter cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottydl

Site Team
I am doing some basic maintenance today cleaning my MH's throttle body and air filter, trying to solve a rough idle problem... previous owner told me it had a K&N air filter, but come to find out (once I finally got it out of the housing) that it's a Banks filter.  Are those lifetime filters like the K&N's that can be oil-cleaned and reinstalled?  It looks like a pretty heavy duty filter (not the paper type), but I've never cleaned one of these to know for sure.  I'll peruse the Banks website too, but I figured I'd check here in case anyone knew.

Found this at eHow that explains the cleaning process:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4843841_clean-banks-turbo-air-filter.html

I have some K&N filter oil that I never used on the K&N that was in my old car.  I'm assuming it's the same stuff and fine to use on the Banks filter.  Any other tips beyond what the article above states are still appreciated!

Scotty. let me suggest the KISS principle...

Remove the filter, drive around the block (on a clear air day)  :) .  If your idling is back to normal you can probably deduce that your filter is the problem. I am assuming that the intake air is supposed to be as free of obstruction as possible. I doubt that the ECM is considering restricted air flow and will adjust. I may be wrong.

Carson FL

The directions you found match what I do to clean my filters.  I have paper replacement filters that I put on the vehicles while I clean the filter and let it dry.  I use Simple Green to clean and then let it air dry slowly so the fibers don't shrink, do not use hot water or a heated drying source.  Be careful to use enough but not to much oil. 

rtluft said:
Be careful to use enough but not to much oil.

This was the part that always made me nervous, but the many Youtube videos on the topic have eased my concerns.  I got it clean awhile ago, used some Oil Eater spray cleaner (similar to Simple Green), then soaked in mild soapy water, then some more Oil Eater.  I think it's clean.  ;)  It was quite stained and looks much better now, currently air drying outside.  carson I hadn't thought about driving around for awhile without the filter... it's not that I think that's the primary issue with my rough idle, but it's a maintenance item I'd never really addressed so I figure it was time anyway.  It was quite an undertaking just to get the airbox taken apart to remove the filter... 2 screws accessible from the front engine compartment, the other 2 under the doghouse cover inside, and no real clearance to pull it apart even after that! 

The Banks filter is indeed a high flow, reusable, filter. It's made of cotton, according to the ads I've seen for Banks products that include their air intake & filter.

Banks even sells a filter service kit - see http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GBE-90094

I think you did fine.

Back
Top Bottom