*Duh* filling the tank for hydraulic levelers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottydl

Site Team
Boy, was I on a roll today.  Getting all kinds of RV projects done... throttle body and air filter cleaning, oil changes (engine and genset), awning pulled out to dry from recent rain, vacuuming out compartments and getting things arranged, bada-bing bada-boom.  While I was messing with the generator, I thought "hey I might as well top off the tank for the levelers" since it is accessible in the same compartment and I keep tranny fluid in there for that purpose.  It took a whole lot of fluid to even make a mark on the dipstick, and I thought that was pretty strange because I hadn't noticed that much leakage lately.  Then *duh!* I remembered I have 2 of the levelers extended when parked in my driveway!  So now I'm positive when I retract the levelers, the fluid in the tank will probably overflow and I'll have a big red liquidy mess.  Should I just have a turkey baster on hand to siphon out the extra fluid?

scottydl said:
Boy, was I on a roll today... Should I just have a turkey baster on hand to siphon out the extra fluid?

http://www.mityvac.com/pages/products_fee.asp. Good for all sorts of fluid transfers.
Every shop should have one.

Put a pan (plastic or metal) under the tank. Any excess fluid will come out of the stopper on the top of the tank, and usually doubles as a relief valve. Alternatively, get some absorbent mats and lay them on the ground. If I'm working with oil or fluid like that, I usually lay down cardboard, then absorbent mats, then a plastic pan on top. Call me paranoid about making a oily mess.

scottydl said:
It took a whole lot of fluid to even make a mark on the dipstick, and I thought that was pretty strange because I hadn't noticed that much leakage lately.  Then *duh!* I remembered I have 2 of the levelers extended when parked in my driveway! 
I can so see myself doing exactly the same thing.  Thanks for posting.  This will help me to figure out what the fluid is doing on the ground after I raise the levellers.  :)

The good news is that my extra driveway is gravel and I don't really care about the oily mess all that much.  ;)  I could take a hydraulic line loose, but they seem to be attached really tightly underneath the control unit and I'd hate to bend (and have to replace) one of the metal lines over my own ridiculous mistake.  I'll put a plastic pan down and try to catch most of the fluid when I do raise the jacks.  Turns out the only turkey baster we have is in the kitchen, and my wife wasn't crazy about the idea of it being filled up with Dexron-III.  ;)

You can use a drill pump available at Home Depot $6.95 just reduce hose size.
Flotec Drill Motor Pump, 225 GPH
Model # FPDMP21SA    Internet # 100145129   
Store SKU # 147877

^^ Well now THAT is a handy little device to have around.  I should be able to reduce the hose size easily enough...

Harbor Freight to the rescue.  I keep several on hand for adding brake fluid to an otherwise inaccessable master cylinder reservoir when bleeding brakes,  changing fluid in a noisy FORD power steering pump, checking gas flow in the generator fuel feed hose, etc...

I really wish there was a Harbor Freight where I live.  :(  I'll check around the other hardware places in the area to see if I can find something similar though.

Scotty, Wal-Mart should have them.  I just chose HF 'cause they had a photo of the thing.

Lou, I luv simplicity. Great choice for small, occasional jobs. The price is right.

No fuses, no cables; what do I do when my fingers don't work anymore...get a Pacemaker?  ;)

Carson FL

Carson, I have subscribed to the KISS system all my life. 

Maybe that's why I get so frustrated reading posts from Michigan's finest, where there are always 3 solutions (A, B & C) to every problem. 

I especially lose it it when there is a solution (3A).  ;) :D

Problem solved!  (see photo)  $4.99 at Menard's, worked great for this project and I anticipate it will be a handy little device to have around.  :)

Attachments

• DSC02902.JPG
    DSC02902.JPG
    634.8 KB · Views: 36

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom