What Shows to See in Branson, MO ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Betty Brewer

Moderator Emeritus
We will be visiting Branson MO in the next week  for our first time.  I was wondering what shows anyone has seen that they would recommend.  Our tastes are open. We do know we want to see  the Japanese Violinist and the Broadway Glee and the Spirit of the Dance.  Any others?

Also does  anyone who has been there , have any recommended  not to miss events, sights?  Are any of the dinner shows worth it ?  We are getting excited.

Betty

It all depends on what you like. We found  the smaller shows were as much fun as the big ones. Maybe even more, since the performers are more intimate with the audience in a small theater. We also found the restaurants that had entertainment were fun - even if just a strolling violinist or singer. Everybody in Branson is a talent, looking for a place to perform!

My advice: try some of the small shows with no-name talent. They are inexpensive and fun.

But we did do the Shoji Tebuchi show and it was indeed "showy". Lots of performers and lights and razzmatazz, plus a little of Shoji himself.

Betty,

We've been there a couple of times and enjoyed just about every show we saw.  As to Shoji Tebuchi, he was our last choice even though everyone raved about him.  We were glad we went.  He may be a "violinist" in another life, but he's a "fiddler" there, and a darned good one at that.  We met Charlie Pride in the lobby of his theater having a bite to eat before his show and had a nice chat with him.  It's a more personal environment than other venues.  On Sunday morning Jerry wanted to see the Gospel show.  Toward the end they told us about a Branson musician who was in the hospital with serious health issues and no health insurance so the other performers were going to hold a benefit for him that afternoon.  We went.  There was a small cover charge which was for the benefit and everyone and his brother came in at 20-30 minute intervals to do their thing.  What a fun afternoon that was!  Strictly off-the-cuff.

The Branson acts change so who we saw might not be performing when you're there, but we saw the Oak Ridge Boys, Barbara Mandrell, Glenn Campbell, the aforementioned Charlie Pride, and many more.

Have a toe-tapping good time while you're there!

ArdraF

Neal Mccoy, Moe Bandy,Mike Walker are all good. Check out Green Mountain Inn for a good place to stay,Sandy & Dan will make you feel at home with their breakfast & clean rooms.  check out  www.1branson.com  forum and meet a great bunch of people who love Branson.

We were in Branson for a couple of days week before last. Went to see Shoji Tebuchi (saw the show about seven years ago, it's still very entertaining) and the Rankin Brothers (singers who can make the old songs sound like the original). Six (I saw a couple years ago) is a unique show where the performers use their voices to sound like musical instruments. Everyone's taste is different, so ask around and you get lots of suggestions, all different.

Branson seems to be suffering from the economy like everyone else. The first time I saw Shoji Tebuchi, you had to book days in advance to get in, this time the theater was only about one third full. One local told us that many of the shows were giving local residents entry to the shows for as little as $5 to $10 (I guess to keep the audience larger).

We spent 3 or 4 days at Tablerock Lake state park (near Branson) a couple of weeks ago. Nice campground with 50 amps, sewer, level concrete pads.  Really nice for a state park.  Costs about $25 a night.  We bought yearly pass for Silver Dollar City.  They have some nice shows including a great evening show.  The pass is a little more than a one day pass.  We never missed anything by not going to the Branson shows.

We rode the Duck - it was fun and you see lots of town and the lake. We also enjoyed the Branson Belle dinner show - the shows were lots of fun and the food was good, too, and, again, you got to see the lake.

Enjoy
Wendy

Jim Stafford. Great show....we laughed until we cried and our sides hurt. Don't miss it!

Peg & I have been there twice, last time was '05. Every show we went to we enjoyed.

We always stay at the SKP park (Turkey Creek) just across the creek in Hollister. Nice park.

Betty

We've been to Branson twice now and have enjoyed just about every show we saw. Saw Andy Williams both times and would go again next time. Shoji Tabuchi was fun as was Yakov Smirnov. If you go to Shoji Tabuchi, don't miss checking out the restrooms. Everything else you can go to, if you like that kind of music or entertainment, you will enjoy.

Thank You everyone for your suggestions.  Looks like we will have to stay for a week???  Wonder if I could pass myself off as a local?  We have not yet  booked any of the shows in advance but will do so if you think we need to.  Do ya get any discount  if you attend a bunch of shows?  Did you book in town or online?

I'll let you know which shows we get to see and give a full report.  I'm sure I will love em all. 

We will try for the SKP park ( thanks Don) 

Dolly Parton's Dixie Stampede is a pretty good dinner/show, Shepard of the Hills play is also good, based on Harold Bell Wright's book by the same name, also tour the farm during the day.  The Baldknobbers, & Presley family are a couple of the oldest shows down there & good to see.  Of course Silver Dollar City is also good for at least a day, it's got shows, crafts demos, and the rides (if you're into them).  There is a lot to do in Branson, just a couple of days won't do it!  DW will want to check out the outlet mall, in downtown Branson there is an oldtime dime store that sells things you won't see at WalMart...some things from "the good old days". 

If you work at Silver Dollar park, you get to go to any and all of the shows for free ! Of course, that would involve that dreaded 4-letter-word (work). I think there are package deals that get you into a bunch of shows. I googled Branson Show Discounts and lordy did I get a bunch of hits ! You could even go see the Texas Tenors but we'll get to see them for free at Redmond !

Have fun
Wendy

Betty Brewer said:
Thank You everyone for your suggestions.  Looks like we will have to stay for a week???  Wonder if I could pass myself off as a local?  We have not yet  booked any of the shows in advance but will do so if you think we need to.  Do ya get any discount  if you attend a bunch of shows?  Did you book in town or online?

Betty

As soon as you get to town, go to the visitors' bureau and see what kind of deals they have. You can also get free or heavily discounted tickets from some of the condo tours is you are willing to invest an hour.

Go see SIX...these guys are unbelievable...your jaw will drop in amazement .  An old show but still as great as ever-THE BALDKNOBBERS.  And of course Shoji and Dixie Stampede  ;)

Betty Brewer said:
We will try for the SKP park ( thanks Don)

When we were there, in the SKP office they had a table with a "shows worksheet". It listed all the shows with their phone numbers. There was a phone there on the table so you could sit right there and call the theaters and make your reservations and fill in your worksheet. That way when you got back to the RV you had everything written down and could remember which shows your were going to when. Some of the shows had morning, matinee and evening shows so you could attend three a day.

Enjoy

Dick and Pat said:
Go see SIX...these guys are unbelievable...your jaw will drop in amazement .  An old show but still as great as ever-THE BALDKNOBBERS.  And of course Shoji and Dixie Stampede  ;)

My wife and I agree.  Six is the best.  They do a tribute to the military that will bring tears to your eyes.  We will be there this weekend.

Don

There are some 2 for one ticket deals but don't fall for the timeshare tour free ticket scheme. They always take 3 hours of your life and are high pressure!  The timeshare vultures are everywhere, they usually ask how ya'll doin, where ya'll from, and how long ya gonna be here.  We always tell them we are locals and they quit bothering us!

We always fall for the free ticket schemes <G>. We have stayed 3-5 nites at a lot of campgrounds free, with dinners thrown in, seen many shows and enjoyed ourselves. The presentations seldom exceed 90 minutes and you only need to remember one word-NO. We are seldom in a hurry going anywhere, so if we have to invest 1 1/2 hours of our time and get some major goodies in return, it works for us

We also go for the free ticket/camp nights schemes. I figure that $75-$200 worth of free food, tickets, camp nights is worth 90 minutes of our time. Might not feel the same way if we weren't retired but we usually have the extra time. We've even been places where we told the sales people up front that we were just there for the freebies and ended up with a 15-minute sales pitch instead of the 90-minute one. As Bernie said, just remember how to say "No" - it's an easy word.

Wendy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom