'95 E350 AC just clicks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samzjeep

Hello, I'm new to this forum/website.  Anyway, we have a '95 E350 Class C.  We used the RV this past week and used our AC via a full hook RV park.  We used our AC on and off for about three days without any problems.  When we unhooked the power and got ready to leave, I hooked the power cord back to the generator, turned on the generator and then turned on the AC....but the AC would not turn on!  All the AC does now, is "clicks" when I turn it on.  I let the generator run for several minutes and then I tried the AC again, but still nothing....just a "click."  I tried to turn it on again today (two days later) but all it does is "click."  Any ideas out there?  I have owned the RV for about three years and never had a problem with it yet.

I also have a problem with the water heater....I used the water heater the first day we were out there and then the next day the water did not heat up.  I saw that there was water coming out of what looks like a water valve, maybe a "check valve" at the water heater.  It never leaked water there before.  It seems that this leak is causing the flame to turn off.  The water drips/runs out of this valve.  Do I just replace that valve to see if that works?  Like I said, I'm new to this site and still learing about the RV life!  Thanks in advance.....

Hi,

I would likely be better if you had created two separate threads, one for each problem but...

I will stick to your water heater question:  The valve at the top of the heater is the high pressure relief valve and it is quite normal for it to drip a bit. As the water heats up it expands and since there is no where else for it to go, it drips out here. Try opening a tap in the sink and see if it helps stopping the drip at this valve. The valve itself is unlikely to be the problem as it is doing its job.

Does your water heater use 120V and /or propane??  Did it heat the water ok when hooked up??

Are you suggesting that the water pours out enough to flood the Propane burner?? You might try a small piece of metal to redirect the dripping water but there should never be that much to cause the burner to malfunction. With the big door removed, If you were to stand next to it when someone turns it on, do you hear the clicking/sparking as it tries to light? Do you smell any propane?? (You did have the propane turned on !!! Check by lighting the stove - this will also help insure any air trapped in the system is purged and not causing the problem...) Did the little flame light up and then go out very shortly after??

If so, It could well be that the thermocouple is going, preventing the main gas valve from opening and causing the burner to go out.

Regardless, I would remove all the wire connections , remove any and all corrosion on them and reconnect. Next check carefully around the burner for debris and clean it up as well, being careful to replace the thermocouple where it will sit in the small pilot flame. (I am NOT referring to a pilot light here as few, if any,  of the modern WH use that method today)

HTH

If the pressure/temperature relief valve leaks, it is likely the heater tank is "waterlogged". There is an article in our Library about how to deal with that - it's easy!

http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=105:hot-water-pressure-relief-valve-leaks&catid=42:fresh-water-systems&Itemid=45

Your a/c problem sounds like possibly a blown start capacitor.  But the fans should come on even if the compressor doesn't start. No fan movement at all?  If so, then I would start thinking about the relay that triggers the a/c to begin its cycle once it receives the "cooling needed" signal from the thermostat.

Some a/c's have a small control module between the main thermostat box and the a/c itself. This might be where the 'click" is coming from. what make and model of thermostat, and what make and model of a/c is it?

Have you tried the A/C on shore power again to see if it will run there?  That would isolate your problem to either the genset or the A/C.

Thanks so much for the responses.  I agree, I should have made two posts instead of the way I did it.  As far as the heater;  it does heat up the water via the propane, but then it starts leaking at that brass valve pretty heavily then the heater will shut off.  The water is hot, but runs out quickly.  The water heater works off of the propane.  I'll check that "waterlogged" article. 

As far as the AC;  I had it hooked up to the shore power for a few days and it worked fine, then I tired to use it via the generator and all I get is that "clicking" sound evertime I try to turn on the AC.  I haven't tried it to another shore power yet, but I will do that next.  The fan doesn't turn on either.  I don't know the make and model of the AC or the water heater, but I'll get that too.

I'll have to wait until this weekend because I'm back to work again and don't have enough time after work to look at it.  I'll have all weekend to look into that matter.  I'll advice what I find when I take a look.  Thanks again....

Again, I'm sorry about the double post here.  I'm learning.  :)

Please don't sweat the double post; Our forum staff will deal with it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom