How to find used 5th wheel's that can take cold weather?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
M

Mike68959

My wife and I are researching used 5th wheels to get familiar with the features so we'll be better prepared when we get serious about buying one in early 2011.  We'd like one that can take sub-freezing temps for several hours or even all-night.  (My wife doesn't do well in heat, so we'll be full-timing in cooler areas.)  I've seen a very few that are advertised as 3- or 4-season outfits, but are there brands/models that I should be looking for?

5ers aren't designed for the cold. It would add way too much weight. You would be better off in a Class A.

Carriage fifth wheels are among the very few that are designed for four seasons.  They can be heavy.  One of the tasks for the engineers, the sales/marketing team has is to stay over night in a unit on an extremely cold night.  Being in Indiana there are plenty. 

Thanks to both of you.  I see that we should modify our expectations.

Teton Homes built excellent cold weather rigs. Travel Supreme, Carriage, Alfa, Alpenlite, and Nuwa are pretty decent too.  Some manufacturers offer an "Arctic package" to help, but if the basic design is lacking the extras don't help all that much.

The fact is, though, that in any of them the walls are thin, there is lots of glass, and skylights and such are uninsulated. Further, every wall in an RV is an outside wall, gaining heat when it's hot and losing it when its cold. You are never very far from a heat sink, so the interior temps tend to be uneven, with hot and cold spots. Be prepared to have the a/c run a lot when its hot, and the heat run a lot when it is cold. And you will likely want auxiliary heater(s) as well to add comfort.

One cold night is not a big problem in any decent RV. Turn up the heat and put on a sweater.  Several cold days & nights, e.g. winter camping, is a different story.

RV Roamer said:
Teton Homes built excellent cold weather rigs. Travel Supreme, Carriage, Alfa, Alpenlite, and Nuwa are pretty decent too.  Some manufacturers offer an "Arctic package" to help, but if the basic design is lacking the extras don't help all that much.

The fact is, though, that in any of them the walls are thin, there is lots of glass, and skylights and such are uninsulated. Further, every wall in an RV is an outside wall, gaining heat when it's hot and losing it when its cold. You are never very far from a heat sink, so the interior temps tend to be uneven, with hot and cold spots. Be prepared to have the a/c run a lot when its hot, and the heat run a lot when it is cold. And you will likely want auxiliary heater(s) as well to add comfort.

One cold night is not a big problem in any decent RV. Turn up the heat and put on a sweater.  Several cold days & nights, e.g. winter camping, is a different story.

Great points; thanks for your input - it helps.

You don't have a very high tow capacity with that truck.  Decent, but not high.  Without looking it up, I would say about 12,300.  With crew cab likely less.  30' 5ers would typically fit into this range.  Newer trucks upped cap to about 18,000 depending on configuration. 

When you factor in the limited towing capacity of your truck, I would suggest you look for a Hitchhiker II series, 30-32 ft.  You might want to visit the NuWa website and check out the archives so that you can see the specs on various year's production.

The Hitchhiker II series isnt technically a 4 season rig, but will be adequate for temps below freezing during the night.  If you could find one with double pane windows that would be great.

I get the impression you wont actually be in true "winter" weather, just a climate that dips below freezing occasionally.  Regardless of what you buy, adding some wintering items will make your experience more comfortable,,ie electric blanket, electric heater, heat tape for water hoses and etc.

You might check on the Newmar 5ers as the MH I have is very good to well below zero.  I have heard the 5ers do as well or better but have no direct knowledge.

PancakeBill said:
You don't have a very high tow capacity with that truck.  Decent, but not high.  Without looking it up, I would say about 12,300.  With crew cab likely less.  30' 5ers would typically fit into this range.  Newer trucks upped cap to about 18,000 depending on configuration.
I very respectfully disagree PancakeBill,
  He is rated at 12500, but that is plenty....I post because I keep seeing under vehicle tower questions on here, which have caused some to question my set up.....See my profile and you may question it too (1997 1 ton diesel with a 2007 28' toy hauler).  But the bottom line is Ford, Dodge, Chevy, whatever brand, I think ALL trucks are being rated higher nowadays, but the truth is the older trucks are just as stable as the newer ones...Not all but most, especially the 3/4, 1 ton and above.
  I was recently compared to a 2010 1/2 ton Gasser and I just can't see the comparison. :-\

Mike68959 said:
My wife and I are researching used 5th wheels to get familiar with the features so we'll be better prepared when we get serious about buying one in early 2011.  We'd like one that can take sub-freezing temps for several hours or even all-night.  (My wife doesn't do well in heat, so we'll be full-timing in cooler areas.)  I've seen a very few that are advertised as 3- or 4-season outfits, but are there brands/models that I should be looking for?
Look for trailers and 5th wheels specifically designed and built in/for the northwest.  Heated tanks is often a key.  If your black and gray tanks freeze, but you are warm, what is the use.  Also get after market storm windows.  Mine has both and I love it.  My storm windows do not allow you to open the vented windows until they are removed.  Funny In AK, I leave the storm windows in year around...lol  My tanks don't have a separate switch, just are heated when I turn on/up the heat.
  I have not camped in subzero temps, but bet my rig would be OK....No use fishing sucks here when it 10 below.....lol

It would be helpful to know how cold do you expect?
I've been in Kansas city for the last 3 winters and it was below zero for a few days the only issues I faced was keeping the water coming in from freezing and keeping the propane full.

Check out the brands Gary mentioned I've seem many of them in the parks in the winter.

I used a 2004 Rockwood it has heated tanks and a fully wrapped underbelly.

Thanks everyone for the great input. Got lots of research to do now.
glen54737, We're thinking of being in areas through the first snow before heading toward warmer climes - such as our home state (NE).  That'd mean lows no colder than the mid-20's overnight.

I would think that any good 5th wheel would do for "mild" weather as that you will need the heat and take precautions for the water.

I'm looking forward to one just as "mild" here in Chattanooga Tn. they say sometime it's into the teens but not much snow. We'll see.

I've been through some cold stuff in my 5er. It's a Cedar Creek Day Dreamer. It has heated tanks. Aside from burning propane like sixty to keep it warm, I didn't have issues until it got down to about 5 degrees for extended periods. I then had fresh water problems. It seems somehwere between the heated tank and the main utility bay, cold air could get to my supply line. I had a protable electirc heater running in the inside plumbing bay and a light bulb in the side compartment to help keep things thawed out.

In Montana in 2009, we visited a dealer who sold the Arctic Fox line.  I'm surprised no one has suggested checking them out.

They seemed to be well equipped for cold weather camping.  Extra thick side walls, heated tanks, enclosed underbody, etc.

Check them out.

Ron

hoddinron said:
In Montana in 2009, we visited a dealer who sold the Arctic Fox line.  I'm surprised no one has suggested checking them out.

They seemed to be well equipped for cold weather camping.  Extra thick side walls, heated tanks, enclosed underbody, etc.

Check them out.

Ron

Good Call, I forgot about them.  I find it amusing I have a Desert Fox in Alaska, so don't always rely on the name....lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom