5th wheel Hitch slider problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dpmatti

I pruchased a 16K reese hitch with the slider. I followed their direction, but could not get the slider to work. If the trailer is not attached the slider works fine. Any suggestions?  DJ

Having the same problem with the same Reese hitch.  Would be great to get some pointers from anyone out there with slider experience!

Thanks

I dont have much experience as I have only hooked up my 5r a few times now. I am using the Curt 20k slider only cause I found a used one. When mine is hooked up to the trailer I have had it stick a couple of times. Actually it was really more of the handle not staying in position to allow me to get back in the truck and move the truck. I took some WD40 to my whole hitch and it all seems to work a little better. I will probably use it on the slides every time I leave on a trip. Lions6

Sounds like a lack of lubrication. When the pin weight is on the hitch, it binds up.  I'm not familiar with your hitch, so can't suggest where to lube or with what, but would think it would be in the owner manual for the hitch.

Which model do you have - round tube or square tube slider?

I have the same one with the round tube i only tried to slide it one time and my 4-way lug wrench was blocking the track so it would not work I'll try again some time soon and let you know.

I have the same hitch and the same problem. I picked up some slide out gear lube from general rv, it did the trick for the most part, I sprayed the rails but that was last year. I didn't do it this time and it cost me. I normally don't have to slide it, the fivers nose has always cleared but I should have listened to the words of caution I have been giving others. If the truck or trailer wheels find a hole while you are jack-knifing the trailer it can hit and I was right, I caught it in time and a minor scratch was the result.
Anyway, whenever I can't get the hitch to slide I drop the landing gear and take some of the pin weight off, it slides very easily once you do that.

I have a 16k Reese sliding hitch that was the same when I bought first brought it home new.

I completly disassembled slide assembly tubes/rollers and all. I used red grease sparingly on the roller shafts.  I first tried the white lithium spray on grease but in 4-5 months the hitch tubes and rollers were gunked up so bad it became hard to operate.

I washed the gunk off and sprayed the rollers and the tubes with a heavy spray on dry lube. That was in '97 and the old hitch works like a hot knife thru butter at any angle hooking up my 11200 gvwr 5er. I can flip the lever  and the trailer rolls by itself on even a small grade.   

I wash the hitch every couple of years at the car wash. I respray the hitch 2-3 times a year with the dry lube. When the 5er goes in the trailer shed the hitch hangs in the tractor shed with a gas cooker cover on it to keep the blasted mud daubers out. I used heavy stick on velcro across the open side to make it dauber proof.

dpmatti said:
I pruchased a 16K reese hitch with the slider. I followed their direction, but could not get the slider to work. If the trailer is not attached the slider works fine. Any suggestions?  DJ
Which hitch do you have?  I believe Reese makes several different sliders.  I have a Signature series 16K Slider and after a couple years had to disassemble and relub the slider bearings.  I suspect any slider would require such maintenance.

sliders are a  gimmicks do sent work, eather I tow with 07 Dramas four door 6.5 foot bed and never needed it. most trips have been in, rural northern ca if anybody as been there they know where I'm coming from.

Back
Top Bottom