Are there any websites for RV friendly gas stations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

benmack1

My family will be taking a big trip (for us anyway) from NC to Mich this summer.  I have a 36 ft Pace Arrow and a wrangler in tow.  I am worried about finding gas stations at the right place that I can get around in without problems.  I definitely want to avoid having to drop the wrangler just to fill up because I need to back up.  I have made this trip several times over the years with a pick-up so I know about where I want to stop but several places I normally stop concern me with the MH.  My question is even more general than my exact route or trip  but are there any RV friendly gas station web sites that anyone can suggest?  I know about flying J but there aren't enough of these in the places I need.  Also, for instance I stop often at a TA truckstop in Teays Valley WV just west of Charleston but noticed the last time that the gas islands would never accomodate my MH and that is a truck stop! They are set for diesel trucks but not the MH so even the truckstops are not reliable.  I try to map it out and do a google map search and an arial view but it is hard to get a good idea from those crappy photos.  I worry too much but would like to avoid a royal mess at a filling station if I can :mad:  Thanks!

Check out "The RVer's Friend:  North American Diesel/Parking Directory" which is oriented toward diesel RVs but they all have gas too.  It's the RVing version of "The Trucker's Friend."  The first column includes "RV Gasoline" as an entry.  It's arranged by state with a map showing locations at the front of each state.

"The Next Exit" pertains to interstate highways but entries in red indicate RV friendly locations for everything from gas stations to restaurants.  Both are available at places like Camping World or online.

ArdraF

This is an ever-increasing problem as more and more stations get remodeled with their pumps toward the store rather than parallel to the street. When we had a gas rig, we always started looking for a gas station at a bit below half a tank. That way we could be pretty sure of finding an RV-friendly one before we ran out. Older stations are more likely to have the old traffic pattern, and stations on the outskirts of small towns are typically more accessible than in larger towns and cities.

In those stations where the pumps rows require that you face the store, often the end pump on one side is more easily accessible than the rest.  You can pull through and cut across the front aisle, or sometimes you can go around behind the store and come out the other side.

When I'm traveling with the Wrangler in tow and the Winnie needs fuel I usually look for the more populated get offs on the freeways. The get offs with the McDonalds, Burger Kings, etc. So far it has worked out well in not having to unhook the Jeep. I have gas cards for three different stations and occasionally use the visa so it leaves me a lot of choices to pick from and I  will usually look for the lowest cost one that has easiest in and out at the pumps. 8). I suppose there is somewhere a listing of RV friendly sites but I think it would be more hassle than it worth. She who must be obeyed has enough to do with telling me that the GPS lady is not telling me the best route to travel. ::)

There are some Gas Stations that tend to be RV (And Semi truck) Friendly which have web sites.

Flying-J (now owned by Pilot)
Pilot
TA (Travel America)
Loves

To mane a few.. In addition there are other very good truck stops I will name 3

Arlene's on the west side of Battle Creek, MI (First Battle Creek exit on East bound (94,  I think the named road is Sklyline Drive but it's been a few years)

Tekon Truck stop (M-60 just east of I-69 in Tekonsha,, I mean Just east

TeKi  (I-94 and 11 mile road, in the "Mar-Creek" area (Eastern most Battle Creek exit) Mar-Creek is short for Marshall-Battle creek it is half way between.

The three main ways into Michigan are I-94, I-69 and I-75

On I-75 and West Road, well south of Detroit, is "The Detroiter" truck stop  On the east side of the freeway (As in borders the service drive if there is one there)

IN addition many regular gas stations can take an RV.. I can give you a short list of RV friendly stations (Meaning easy in and easy out) in S.E. Michigan including the Shell at 7 mile and Grand River in Detroit.. If you are going n/w on Grand River  and your gas cap is on the RIGHT (Passenger side) you turn into the station, take the outer most pump and then pull straight out onto 7 mile, NO turns on station property.  If your gas cap is on the driver's side.. Go west on 7 mile toward Grand River and.. Well. you must turn right (n/w) on to Grand river but there are plenty of lanes.

IN Davison Michigan, Irish Road and Cort street (just north of I-69) Speedway has a lot of clearance,, Pump one... If gas cap on right enter off COURT, on left enter off Irish road.  Two turns (right and left) on station proprty but lots of room.

NOTE: the two specific stations I mentioned tend to have lower prices than many surrounding stations.

At the 7-mile/Grand River station there is a nearby Marathon (7 and Telegraph) always crowded, Major issues getting in and out,  and never cheaper.  Why they get so much business and the Shell does not.. I do not know.  There is also a B-P at 7 and Tel, hardly ever crouded, 5 cents per gallon more (usually) than the other two.

Thanks for all the advice.  As I said, I've made the journey many times as I live in NC and originate from Southwestern Michigan. 

For those with time on their hands I would like to take this string a bit further and ask for some specific advice.  Here is my route plan and any advice is deeply appreciated.  My departure is from Mebane NC.  About 125 miles up to I-77N/I-81S in Virginia, there is a Flying J and Hess.  On to Beckley WV, another 125 or so we will spend the night in the parking lot of one of the big rest stops on the WV turnpike.  My nerves will probably need a rest by then anyway.  Never driven the rig in the mtns.  On to Charleston, catching I-64 west to Teays Valley WV which is another 100 or so miles down the road.  There are several stations there, I think a go-mart looks promising there.  This is also where the TA is located that I don't think is very easy access for the gas islands.  From Teays Valley we take US35 into Ohio and on toward US23 N up to Columbus.  There is a pilot station in circleville OH.  I think this one is tight but if I stay on the end hopefully I'll be OK.  Here is where I could use some suggestions.  From Circleville we head around Columbus and exit on US 33 I think heading west to catch I-75.  Once on I-75 I will need to find a good fill-up station somewhere mid-way between US33 and the Michigan line.  Bowling Green area comes to mind.  Any suggestions there?  Then on to Michigan and the pot holes and construction up past Ann Arbor and hit I-96 west toward Lansing.  I am not sure if I can make all the way from Bowling Green OH to Muskegon Michigan as there is a Speedway in Muskegon (probably about 250 miles I think).  Any suggestions around the Lansing area if needed.  Our final destination is Ludington Michigan and I'm fine past Muskegon.  We'll wing it as we need to of course, but thought what the heck it is worth asking for advice so we can plan a bit.

benmack1 said:
Thanks for all the advice.  As I said, I've made the journey many times as I live in NC and originate from Southwestern Michigan. 

For those with time on their hands I would like to take this string a bit further and ask for some specific advice.  Here is my route plan and any advice is deeply appreciated.  My departure is from Mebane NC.  About 125 miles up to I-77N/I-81S in Virginia, there is a Flying J and Hess.  On to Beckley WV, another 125 or so we will spend the night in the parking lot of one of the big rest stops on the WV turnpike.  My nerves will probably need a rest by then anyway.  Never driven the rig in the mtns.  On to Charleston, catching I-64 west to Teays Valley WV which is another 100 or so miles down the road.  There are several stations there, I think a go-mart looks promising there.  This is also where the TA is located that I don't think is very easy access for the gas islands.  From Teays Valley we take US35 into Ohio and on toward US23 N up to Columbus.  There is a pilot station in circleville OH.  I think this one is tight but if I stay on the end hopefully I'll be OK.  Here is where I could use some suggestions.  From Circleville we head around Columbus and exit on US 33 I think heading west to catch I-75.  Once on I-75 I will need to find a good fill-up station somewhere mid-way between US33 and the Michigan line.  Bowling Green area comes to mind.  Any suggestions there?  Then on to Michigan and the pot holes and construction up past Ann Arbor and hit I-96 west toward Lansing.  I am not sure if I can make all the way from Bowling Green OH to Muskegon Michigan as there is a Speedway in Muskegon (probably about 250 miles I think).  Any suggestions around the Lansing area if needed.  Our final destination is Ludington Michigan and I'm fine past Muskegon.  We'll wing it as we need to of course, but thought what the heck it is worth asking for advice so we can plan a bit.

This should be a separate thread with a better title. You will get much better advise.

NOte on TA's and the like.. If you have to fill up at the CAR island.. Just pick the OUTESIDE pump which puts the pump on the proper side of your rig.. Many stations where I"d not wish to pull between pumps are not a problem if I pick an outside pump

I believe there is a TA (At least I think it is a TA) on I-75 JUST South of the Michigan Line.

And of course the Detroiter less than 50 miles INTO michigan at West rd and I-75  Biggest Truck stop for many miles.

benmack1 said:
About 125 miles up to I-77N/I-81S...
On to Beckley WV, another 125 or so...
On to Charleston, catching I-64 another 100 or so miles...
Muskegon (probably about 250 miles I think)....

Just curious but, ...how small is your fuel tank and/or how poor is your mileage?

The whole trip (Mebane to Lansing) is only 691 miles (per mapquest and by Interstate)
Even doing backroads and with more stop/go...

800 miles? 8 mpg?
That shouldn't require more than than one refill.

re: milage.  I don't know exactly pulling the wrangler especially in the mtns.  I assume 5-6 mpg on the flat running the genset.  Tank is 75 gal but I don't want to get too far below half without a fill-up.  We will make some pull-off stops for a few hrs here and there as well so may run the gen a bit while stopped. 

I appreciate all the comments, these are very helpful website (especially the MSN one) and good advice about shooting for the outside pump.  One downside to my rig is the filler tube is dead center in the rear.  alot of pumps barely react it and by the time I get the rear aligned with the pump my front bumper is almost inside the quickie-mart  ::)

Looks like a work in progress. If enough people submit good data on RV friendly fuel sites, it could be a real boon to RVers.

I submitted  a local station, just to help along and get at least one Florida station listed.

http://rvfriendlygas.com/

I like that site, I hope a lot of people get on board. I will add a few in the near future.

After going on quite a few big trips you will see a particular type of station you like and they will all have similar layouts. 
You can tell when you see it - and if you are driving up to one there is usually another right accross the street.

Best advice - Keep your eyes peeled for good clearance stations along the drive and if you see a good one - pull over and fill up even if you have 1/2 tank left.
The worst time to be looking is when you have 1/4 tank left.

I know what you are saying though - even more challenging is finding a station with fuel and propane that has high clearance!

Jay 

Great site, once it gets populated, I added a Utah station I use when passing thru.  Nice to have them link up with GasBuddy.com.  Ease of access, ease of payment.

Just north of downtown Findlay OH there is a Speedway off to the right of I-75, I think it's about exit 167 or so.  It has the pumps set so you pull in towards the store, but there is a LOT of room between the pumps and the store at this one, and if you take the outside pumps on the right side pulling in, you can pull around the back of the store to get out.  Should work fine - I've been there many times.  It's the same exit that has a Comfort Inn or Comfort Suites.  It's about 20 miles south of Bowling Green, OH.  In Lansing, if you take the Lake Lansing Road exit off US-127 (this is on the north side) and go West past Eastwood Towne Center and take the next turn right to go to Sam's Club, their fueling islands have good access and low prices.  Their is also a Mitchell's Seafood at Eastwood Towne Center that is a great stop for lunch (and a P.F. Chang's if you prefer oriental food).  If you need better directions send me an email ([email protected]).  I'm very familiar with this area and can help out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom