Are there any websites for RV friendly gas stations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I once pulled into a large and very busy gas station near Rawlins, Wyoming with my 30' fifth wheel - because it had cheap fuel.  I quickly realized that the pumps were situated in such a way that I couldn't pull up to them.  Then, I realized that there was only one entrance, and the only way to get out was to back up through cars and curves about 100 feet to the busy street.  Thanks to a few very nice people who helped my wife direct traffic, it only took about 15 minutes.  A nearby gas station was a little more expensive - but was RV friendly.

Now - especially when travelling through less populated areas - I plan my route and gas stops before leaving home.  I use the internet and Gas Buddy to find gas stations, and then look at them using street view on Google Earth. 

This still isn't foolproof, but works most of the time.

http://rvfriendlygas.com/ looks as though it will be a great planning tool, but needs lots more input from the RV community.

Wow  - planning all your gas stops before leaving?  I guess you can do that for short duration trips.

Most of us develop an eye for the fuel station layout and learn to bypass any that do not have a readily apparent way in and out. You only have to get caught once to learn the lesson.

We go with the red stations in The Next Exit primarily. That said, we've not had a problem with any Pilot/Flying J, but have seen a couple of TA's that were very tight.
Over 33,000 miles with 32 foot towing a Jeep, I've never had to disconnect and we don't preplan anything except the next place to go! It's really not a big deal.
Ernie

We are new to RVing and had such an unpleasant encounter at one of our local gas stations in Gatineau (Templeton Sector), Quebec (not sure I can name it here so I didn't). 

It is a full-serve station (RV friendly I might add) and the cost is often lower than the self-serve Esso across the street.  I was inside waiting to pay for my fill-up (SUV) and was chatting with another customer who was asking me how much mileage one gets with a RV.  I had noticed that the attendant was "pouting" and was avoiding going to fill up the RV so my husband got out and started to self-serve (this is a full serve station).  I was shocked and left speechless when the attendant started to mouth off saying how disgusting it was that we are in the middle of a recession and that people are starving while others drive up with their gas guzzling motor homes to fill up and who cares about what mileage they get because if you can afford to buy a RV you shouldn't be concerned about the cost at the pump.  Hope this never happens to anyone else.  I bit my upper lip and didn't make a scene as I can be otherwise very boisterous  ::)

He totally ignored my husband when he came in to pay.  No eye contact but no comments though - guess he looks more imposing than I do  ;) 

All that to say, we have "scratched" that station off our list (that's where we normally filled up our other vehicles most of the time) and are forewarning others that may be in the area to "beware" of the snarly remarks.  :eek:

www.findfuelstops.com is the best I've ever found.  www.rvfriendlygas.com shows promise IF people will support it as they've supported www.rvparkreviews.com.

Sweetrider63 said:
the attendant started to mouth off saying how disgusting it was that we are in the middle of a recession and that people are starving while others drive up with their gas guzzling motor homes to fill up and who cares about what mileage they get because if you can afford to buy a RV you shouldn't be concerned about the cost at the pump.
That's usually the type of person that can't manage their own financesin the first place and doesn't realize how lucky they are just to have a job. They probably feel that life owes them something, and frankly, I hope they get what's due.

....And RV friendly truck stops/diesel pumps.

I'd really like to find a Google-maps type of map that I could scroll along our route, to find truck stops. Some of these sites give a list, so you have to look up each town name to see if it is along your route. The "Utah Gas Heat Map" site, which includes other states, does eventually resolve down into a local-level map, but it lists all sorts of stations that likely wouldn't accommodate big rigs. You click on each one to find the details, usually with a street address. Any suggestions?

We just pull up googlemaps, zoom in on our area, and do a search for "truck stop".  They end up flagged on the map, and you click for details.  It does not have gas prices on it, but gives you a starting point.

I thought the next exit was a great book when we bought it.  While on our first trip with it I found that RV friendly usually means diesel not gas.  I go by the bigger the exit area the more likely I will find pumps I can get in.

Our son  lives in Charlotte  NC and we are in SE Michigan. We have taken the route that goes thru Charleston WVA (I-77) and also the one that hooks up with I-75 via I-74, I-26, I-40. We prefer the I-75 route. It is not as mountainous (except around the Smokies) and there are  campgrounds closer to the interstate highways. Fuel has not been a problem on either route. As an aside there is a toll road between Charleston WVA and Beckley WVA. The cost of the toll will be (for motorhome and toad) $10.75 total ($3.25 @ each toll booth). If you are going to use a Walmart  for over nighting then the Charleston route will be a better one as we could not find any campgrounds close to the interstates  (easy off and on) on that route.

http://www.pilottravelcenters.com/Locations/Travel_Centers/Complete_Pricing_List.aspx?leftTemplate=false

I use this one and "Gas Buddy" if I have time and Wi-Fi to search around some.  Even driving the car, I try to
plan my fuel stops and know what I may be expected to pay.  If I see a bargain I will stop and use it.  I do not
drive out of my way much to get to cheap fuel.  In a MH getting 8 mpg, if you drive 8 miles out of the way (4 out and 4 back)
you have to save at least $4 on your fill up to make it worth while.  60 gallons at 5cts savings is only $3 so the savings
has to be significant to be worthwhile.

Not as common as it was 20+ years ago. Many Chevron stations used to have a dump station around back, but one by one they closed their dump stations.

most truck stops have books one that i use is called fuel finder. It list all interstates and the exit that the fuel is located on, size of parking lot and services available.

I notced no one mentioned the Petro truck stops. After running the east west highways for several years now The Petro truck stops have all ways had a easy access for RV's away from the full size trucks. The only caution I can give is that some Flying "J"and T?A's are very tight to get in and out of.

Been all over the country in 37 foot Class A motor home. Have never had any problems finding gas stations with plenty of room for a large rig.  Truck stops like Pilot, TA and Loves are always good. Now.....navigating streets in Philadelphia residential neighborhoods is a lot more challenging.  We call those kinds of streets here in Texas; "SIDE WALKS"!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom