The Rally at Louisville, Kentucky from July 22-25 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bklynirish

Wife and I will be attending our first RV show at Louisville, Kentucky, from July 22-25.  We will be looking at all of them but seem to be leaning toward class c.  Figuring we will be spending about 6 months out of the year in it.  Seems like there is alot to do with the seminars and all. 

Hubby and I are headed for the same rally.  We've been to dozens of rallies.  Yes lots to look at and compare all in one spot.  Be sure to test drive them.  We have been to many of seminars and I think Terry could lead a few.  We  have signed up to go on a few side trips to Churchill Downs and many I can't yet recall.  We are stopping at Branson along our way.  NOT a direct route.  LIfe is good.  We are in MH about 6 months a year adn I like my class A for creature comforts.
Betty

Is there a web link for this RV show?  Are people camping at the show grounds?

Answer my own question:  http://therally.com/

Not a high probability we could make it though.  We just got back from 5 week trip to Newfoundland and next week we are going to Tobermory National Park in Ontario for a week.  The village of Tobermory is at the top of the Bruce Peninsula and the park is within a short walk of the ice cold Georgian Bay.  The temperatures are projected to be:

SE Michigan  86ish day time  70ish night time
Tobermory    69ish day time  65ish night time

We are going with our daughters family.  We all used to scuba dive there when the kids were teens.

Anyway we would have to leave for Kentucky within a few days of getting home from that trip.  Even though I would like to go, I don't think it will happen.

I live in Louisville...  If you are headed this way, prepare for heat.  We're in the upper 90s every day now.  Perhaps we'll see a break into the upper 80s early next week, then right back to 95+. 

Churchill Downs will probably not be running races during the rally dates.  They stop racing during the heat of the summer, and as I recall, the spring meet is just about over.  The excellent museum is still open, however, and it is very close to the expo-center which is hosting the rally.

The Louisville Slugger museum is also good, as is Louisville Science Center, the opera house, and the Frasier Arms Museum downtown.  For those looking for night life, 4th Street Live downtown is a grand mall that has a number of venues, from Planet Hollywood to adult entertainment (not for me, but its there).

Just out of town, south, is the bourbon highway, where you can take tours of Jim Beam (with samples of the "good stuff" like Woodford Reserve), Maker's Mark, etc.  Also of note is Fort Knox, south on Dixie Highway (less than 40 minutes from the fairgrounds) which has the Patton Museum and the gold repository (not much to see there - surprising how small it is!).  Our zoo is fun and decent for its size with some interactive animal exhibits (don't expect the San Diego Zoo!).

Plenty of city and high end golf courses, which wind around the park system designed by famed architect Frederick Law Olmsted.

http://www.louisvilleky.gov/Visitors/

Thank you so much for the replies.  I left this on the 8th and i guess i didnt hit the notify thing so I just got these responses.  Down to 8 days we are very excited.  Thank you so much for the great info and insight.    See ya there.

My wife and I won't be RV'ing at the rally, but we will probably walk in for a day to check out the exhibits.  We're more pragmatic about our own RV use -- mainly for weekend trips while off-roading.  We do stupid stuff with Jeeps...  8)  (Check out ucora.org for more info) 

I don't even have my own RV (a 25' gooseneck that I am converting to a toy hauler) up and running as yet.  It will require a total renovation and some remodeling as well.  We'll be looking for good ideas as to how to package our needs into a small space (the rearmost 15' of the trailer will be reserved for hauling the truggy) and wishing we had the kind of money it takes to have one of the rigs we'll see at the rally.  ;D  I have a thread on my build here:  http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=31091.msg293985#msg293985

Sue and I will be at The Rally this year.  As newbees, it is only our second and were pretty jazzed.  We seem to have consistently been on the wrong end of the country for the big ones this year. 

The Rally bills itself as "biggest RV Rally in the US". Anyone heard any estimates as to how many RV's will show up?

Not sure how many will show up, but I know that they are already starting to arrive.  We go past the back side of the fairgrounds on the way to our church and the RVs were entering the park.  Must be leaders or something, I don't think that general entrance happens until Thursday.

Actually early birds can begin arriving Tuesday at 8am!  We'll be there tomorrow but not at 8am.  We need to drive the 96 miles from Rising Sun Indian in the morning.  This is our first rally and really looking forward to it. 

We're assigned to Lot #1.  Does anyone know what we should expect in terms of parking surface?  I'm assuming either asphalt or gravel but don't know.

Our scheduled arrival time to LOT 1 is  Tuesday 7/20/10 between 8-12 but since we are in St Louis with 259 miles to drive we won't arrive until 1 or 2 pm.  We'll post where we are,  when we arrive.
We will be taking a couple of the  scheduled optional tours.  Wednesday 7/21,  7:30 to 6. Full day for the Blue Grass Tour.  Then on 7/23 Friday we will do the Louisville Highlights Tour. 9-3 pm.  I have been to many many of these rallies.  They are fun.  I need a new skillet and hope that vendor  is here. 

Hopefully the Group of RVForum folks can  find one another for a happy hour or two.

Betty and Terry

Betty,

If you leave by 6am you'll make before noon - BG.

We arrived back in Phoenix Saturday to 112 deg with humidity!!! We leave again a week from Friday and head back north.

ken

btw the new Norcold cooling unit is struggling ion the Phoenix heat - time to go residential, maybe this fall.

Ken & Sheila said:
btw the new Norcold cooling unit is struggling ion the Phoenix heat - time to go residential, maybe this fall.

Ken

We ran our Norcold 4 door for 2 days to cool off before we left home. It had been off for 3 months. It was 110?+ every day but the refer was making ice cubes by the time we left.

We left at 7 am (yes Ken we can get up and going early) and arrived at 1:45.  We actually lost  an hour with a time change between St Louis and Louisville.  We are in  LOT P  Row 46 Site 9, very close to Shuttle stops and close enough to walk to all the vendors and seminars if it weren't so dang humid. 
I got our welcome package and our mail in one quick stop. 

The facilities here are very new, nice and best of all  everything will be inside with AC.  Since we are in non electric site,  the generators are whirring loudly outside. We are parked with vans, motorhomes and fifth wheels all  around us. We tour all day tomorrow. 

It is 89 degrees at 3:05 and cloudy.

Wendy, we had rain all night but  no storms today.
Betty
Betty

Got to gate 4 at 7Am for an 8Am opening. Have to say the parking/check in process has been great.  These guys have obviously done this before.  We were into our site, hooked up to 30A and camping by 9AM.  Got through the registration check in in about 5 minutes.  Sites are super wide and the staff is great.  The electric was great until the sun came out and the airs went on, then the breakers started to go.  The staff came out immediately and brought another generator to split the load in half.  No problem since.  Looks like this is going to be a great rally.  Stop by and say hi:  we're in Lot E2 Row 24, Site 13.

Bob & Sue

We got here about 1pm and after a little delay because of WillCall got parked and set up.  The generators running in the non-electric sites can't be anywhere near as loud as being parked right next to one of the Catepillar Generators they'er using in the powered sites!  But hey, I sleep with ear plugs and not likely to want to sit outside in this heat so it's all good!  We're in Lot G Row 38 Site 13.

Sorry about the heat, but I warned you above.  We've been socked in with 90s + for a month now.  Humidity levels are high also.  Not much fun sitting outside any time ater noon until at least when the sun sets.

I posted  a long message about our early bird day and tours taken to Lexington but when I did a Spell check I lost the message due to pop ups or some such message .  Iam too tired after our 14 hour day to repost.  Maybe in morning I will give you an  update.
Betty 1774
Terry 1525

Betty, all y'all were 17 miles from the plae of my formation as a man and as a believe, Asbury University, www.asbury.edu, at Wilmore, S towards Shakertown and Herodsburg. We'll be there in Oct.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom