The Rally at Louisville, Kentucky from July 22-25 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well after a not so restful night (too humid to sleep) I awake with a new sense to share with you about our yesterday. It was an early bird day for rallly and we had booked an optional tour.  We left motorhome at 7 am to board bus for "A Day inthe Bluegrass" some 70 miles away in Lexington.  We had cameras, umbrellas, goodie bag  and took the car the few hundred yards to the bus stop  because it was raining.  This has to be our wettest section of our  life in history.  But hey we can't control the weather so we shall not dwell on it.

Our first stop among the lavish horse  farms  was The Thoroughbred Center.  We watched riders exercise their horses on a sloppy track ( muddy) We listened as  a trainer showed us his horse and talk of training activities and the expenses.  Did you know that horse training for a race lasts only 10 minutes per day?  Wish I could get in such good  shape in such a short time.

Lunch was  very good and pretty quick for a party of  100. Then on to Kentucky Horse Park.  A lovely setting with all things equine.  Museum, stables, tack, movie .  This could have been a day's event in itself.  We watched the Parade of Breeds as horses from around the world  showed off their stuff.  The Morgan horses are my new favorite.
The last and best stop on our tour was the Buffalo Trace Distillery.  It is the oldest continuing distillary making bourbon in the  US.  It was one of 4 kept  open during prohibition for medicinal purposes.  The old brick buildings dated to  1870's and house barrels and barrels of  aging bourbon.  We were treated to shots  for tastes.  Bourbon warmed me up......not to my liking.  I did buy  some Bourbon Creme Liqueur and fancy little tasting glasses. 

With traffic and the long miles home we arrived back at Kentucky Fairgrounds at 6:35.  Now  the Monarch's a 60's Rock and Roll Group were scheduled to begin at 7.  Not enough time to  go back to motorhome and get  a meal so we hurried over to Freedom Hall and got a very poor hot dog at the food court.  Nice cold beer helped it go down.  The group was a big hit.  I knew all the words to all the songs and sang away at the top of my lungs.  Many  people danced in the aisles all evening.  Unlike FMCA events I did not see one  person leave early!

But we arrive back at motorhome at 9:15 pm.  And boy was it hot and humid inside our rig.  Quiet hour is over at  11 so it did not give it much time to cool down with our generator running. 
Thursday is the first official day of rally.  We have highlighted events to  attend. Would like to find our Forum friends but this  humidity is not at all  conducive to any outside Happy Hour so we shall scour name tags. 
Betty

Betty,

You and Terry sure know how make good use of all the hours in a day!

Tom said:
You and Terry sure know how make good use of all the hours in a day!

Tom,

Not only are we making use of hours in a day, we are making use of all the vendors here.  Let's see, 6  new  tires, 4 new  shocks, fantastic vent repair, Seeland II  technology gauge replacement,  and now we await Cummins Onan at motorhome to  come figure out why our generator is not producing enough volts. 

I hope they hurry as it is  too hot to go without AC in motorhome.  Always something, always costs. 

Good thing we love this life style
Betty

I admire your tenacity for staying in an RV without AC...  Here in Louisville, everyone complains all winter long about the cold, and they cry for the hot summer days, "Oh, I just love it when it is hot outside..."  Then, as soon as it gets hot, everyone is inside with the AC on high...  My wife and I, we're stupid Wisconsin natives, and expect to be outside during the summer (well, at least the 4th of July...) but here, sheesh.  It is dangerous when the temps are in the mid to high 90s with all that humidity.

Really cramps our camping preferences.  What good is it to take my wife in the woods just to watch her fall over from heat stroke?  We wait for fall... 

Any adventuresome types wanting to explore a hot up and coming church are invited to join us at Sojourn Community Church for first service Sunday.  9 am.  Let me know.  Sojourn is an urban church that is reaching the young generation with the gospel in ways that a lot of experts said could not be done.  We're not in the age demographic, but love the life!

Betty, remember the 'norm' around here - new tires lead to a new coach. You won't have to worry about the lack of a/c for long  ;D

Tom said:
Betty, remember the 'norm' around here - new tires lead to a new coach. You won't have to worry about the lack of a/c for long  ;D

Tom,

I don't think so. NO NEW coach for us likley ever again.
Betty

glfredrick said:
I admire your tenacity for staying in an RV without AC... 

Thanks, It is hot, really really  hot in here and muggy.  Good news though, all vendors RV's,  food everything at this rally is inside a cool climate controlled environmnet.  Terry and I took turns waiting for Onan Service guys to show up so only 1/2 my day was hot.  Of course it  rained for about 30 minutes this afternoon which brought temps down 2 degrees and humidity up 10% more. It reads 95 in here but I have a fan blowing air on me.
UPDATE:
The  good news is the Onan service guys came out  at 4pm and now at 5:40 we learn we get to get a new invertor for the generator.  They are testing it  and the  AC is blowing cold again.  They are still cleaning up so I don't know how much it will cost us but we won't be going out to dinner tonight, (maybe ever again) But Terry is happy the gauges are now reading 117 volts, I am happy because it's getting cool. 

Oh the joys of this lifestyle! 

Bob Newhart is on for tonight.  I can use some laughs.

Betty

While at the Rally, if at the Lazy Days exhibit, say hello for me, Bill Whetstone, they don't know me as Pancake).  Gets you an extra 10% on the purchase price.  But they will gve it right back.

Betty, glad you got everything running.  We're facing the two hottest days of the year today and tomorrow!  Gonna be brutal.

I amd the Grounds Manager for Southern Seminary, and my guys have been getting wiped out by the heat.  They're out there all day long working hard.

Glad you can now get cooled off Betty.  The heat is brutal and after the rain yesterday it hard to believe what a sauna was left behind.  Sure puts a crimp in outdoor get togethers but all the displays inside the building are nice and cool.  :)

We got a 30amp site but they parked us right next to the loudest generator at the event in G lot.  But, we're glad to have it (kind of) and with ear plugs at night it makes it feel like we've got one of those "magic fingers" things on our bed! 

Hello All,

Went on another all day tour: Highlights of Louisville.  Visited the Kentucky Derby Museum. Rode a "horse", came in 6th.  Terry rode and came in first.

I was very disappointed that we were not able to visit  any of Churchill Downs as advertised.  Seems a big  rock concert,  Hullabalou is setting up for a 3 day concert and we were not allowed on grounds.  A bit of grumbling on the  91 passenger tour as we were informed The Rally Organizers knew of this  some 2 months prior and  yet we were not informed.  I could have driven the car over yesterday.  You can bet "Someone" will be getting a letter from me. I don't suppose anyone will be giving me free ticket to see Bonjovi either as a substitute.

After a  wonderful lunch at Marks Mar B que we had an informative tour of the Louisville Slugger baseball  bat factory.  I am now so much better informed about bats!  I'll make a good party conversationalist with my trivia. Plus we got two free bats.  Can't take them on a plane though....oh wait we don't fly anywhere!  When do ball players use pink bats?

We arrived back on grounds around 3 pm which gave us time  to tour the vendors  in a not so crowded time frame.  Bought a garlic/cheese grater thingy and some Miracle cloths to clean my glasses.

Got back to  coach  and the thermometer inside read 99.7.  But with the new $902 dollar inverter,  she is cooling right down. 

I will be having  lunch at the day stage area at noon on Saturday 7/ 24  if any RVForum  members want to join me.  It is close to Food court things. Tables in back row.  We should try to have at least a meet and greet of  Bob N Sue, Rick and Nancy  and others?  I'll wear my red ball cap with  rhinestones so you know who to look for. Or if anyone else  has another idea post away!

Betty

Betty Brewer said:
But with the new $902 dollar inverter,  she is cooling right down. 

Betty:

Think of how much Terry saved because you were at a Rally. 8)

Just a reminder and second posting in case you missed this buried in my post yesterday.

I will be having  lunch at the day stage area at noon on Saturday 7/ 24  if any RVForum  members want to join me.  It is close to Food court things. Tables in back row.  We should try to have at least a meet and greet of  Bob N Sue, Rick and Nancy  and others?  I'll wear my red ball cap with  rhinestones so you know who to look for. Or if anyone else  has another idea post away!

First I am going to digital camera features, then microwave cooking, then lunch.  Hope to see some Forum Members at the air conditioned  Day Stage.

Betty

Red ball cap with rhinestones!

Orick said:
it makes it feel like we've got one of those "magic fingers" things on our bed!

And you don't even have to put a quarter in! ;D

Jeff

>>Think of how much Terry saved because you were at a Rally.<<

10% parts & labor..... Can you believe how much trouble I would have been in if it failed in Monument Valley or some other desolate place I frequent. I don't believe many repair places would have a Generator Inverter on hand.

After we get out of Kentucky their budget crisis should be over.<G>    New shocks today & front tires Mon.

Betty,

That rally sounds like the one they had in Ames, Iowa! It was so hot they rescinded the no generator rule at night. We ran them 24 hours. Unfortunately, Bernie had a propane generator at the time and had to make a few trips to refuel. :) It was brutal and wet. Maybe they'll wake up and do the same for you.

Jim

>>That rally sounds like the one they had in Ames, Iowa! It was so hot they rescinded the no generator rule at night. We ran them 24 hours.<<

They did that 2 days ago... We are running 24 hrs a day... at 11:30 am it's 96 deg & 60% humidity.  The 5th wheel in front of me just pulled out, he only had a Honda EU2000 & it wouldn't power his A/C..... I don't know how he slept at night.

Jim Dick said:
Unfortunately, Bernie had a propane generator at the time and had to make a few trips to refuel. :) It was brutal and wet.

We only had a 30 gallon tank, 24 net, and made 3 trips into town to refuel. And our CO detector wouldn't shut up. That was our first FMCA convention, what a welcome :'(

Terry - Aren't you saving any money to spend in Redmond on major purchases? Central Oregon needs your $$ too !

Wendy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom