Glacier National Park Mini Rally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marsha/CA

Moderator Emeritus
Tim and I arrived at Glacier N.P. late this afternoon.  We've been on the road about a week, traveling up Highway 395 ending up in Spokane a couple of nights ago  This morning we took Highway #2  out of Spokane into the West part of Glacier, crossing through the panhandle of Idaho, very pretty country.  We are staying at the Country RV Park.  Marie and Chuck (Mariekie) are also here having arrived last Monday.  This is their second visit to Glacier and our first.  The trip on highway #2 was very pretty with 2 lane road going past beautiful rivers, lakes  and small fishing areas.

We pulled in and took our time setting up.  Tim kept his fingers crossed that the satellite internet dish could connect through the trees; but no such luck....same with the TV satellite.  Our air card works, as well as, the campground WiFi. 

Marie and I had emailed back and forth so I knew what site they were in.  Just after we got settled and were thinking of strolling over to the site to say "hello" up they walked.  What a neat couple and we found tons of stuff to talk about.  Since they have been here before, they shared some ideas on what to see in the park.  We all fly fish, so there was some discussion there and we talked about places we have been.  What a fun time. 

Pictures to come.

Marsha~

Amazing, the wonderful people one encounters on this forum and the friendships we form. As Marsha said, we have been in contact via email and finally here we have the opportunity to meet in real life. The environment is perfect, beautiful clear skies and we can not ask for better weather. Not too hot during the days, with cool weather for a good night's sleep.

What a fun little rally!

Mariekie

Hi Marsha,

Thank you for your advice on Grizzly RV park!  It was perfect.

I just got in to the KOA at GNP did I miss the mini-rally?

Hi Frank,  Sorry I'm slow in getting back to you.

We are still here.  Tim and I are leaving tomorrow heading to Fort Smith, Mt.  However,  ;D Chuck & Marie are meeting us tonight for dinner at 6pm.  Why don't you join us?  Here is the address:

The night Owl Back Room
522 9th Street West
Columbia Falls, MT 59912
(406) 892-3131

So glad you enjoyed Grizzly RV, it's one of our favorites-pricey, but nice.

Hope to see you tonight.  Let me know if you are coming, I'll check for a posting right before we leave.

Marsha~

Hi Marsha,

Thanks for the reply.  We were out all day and didn't get the message until this morning.  Sorry we missed dinner.  Perhaps another day. Have a safe trip.

Sorry to have missed you Frank...next time.  BTW, the restaurant was actually really good.

We had a great time in Glacier, it's a beautiful park.  Most every day we took a drive so we were able to see most of the park that is accessible by car.  One road was more exciting than the others... ;D .  It was one lane and in spots would have been tight for passing an oncoming car, we had been warned by a ranger that the road had washed out and she wasn't sure it was repaired yet.  Because we have a 2 wheel drive, I was always on the lookout for the washout.  I shouldn't have worried, it was repaired and the little Hyundai Tucson did her job.  Along the there way were stretches of wild flowers that were growing in a previous burned area.  We drove to a beautiful lake called Bowman and just when we had decided that we were NOT going to see a bear, we saw one.  He was literally ripping a big log apart trying to get to grubs/termites/ants.  We still aren't sure if he was a grizzly or not because we couldn't get a front view of him so that we could see his head and neck.  He was cinnamon colored and didn't care that we were there.  We also saw lot of deer and baby fawns with spots and a bald eagle.

The weather was a mixed bag.  On a couple of the days there were some big winds and one day it didn't get above 55-58degrees.  We had some low 40s at night so needed the heat pump every once in a while; especially in the mornings.

It was so fun to meet Marie and Chuck.  We talked flyfishing, places we have been, places they have been and we haven't and vice versa.  Lots of fun.  We touched base most every evening and played "Quiddler" which is a word game one night.  And, I found out that Marie is a Maker's Mark Ambassador....I am too....great minds think alike and apparently enjoy the same type of southern bourbon.  I usually add a little 7-up with mine; but because Marie drinks hers straight up, I took it like a woman and drank mine the same way...wahoo! 

As we were hooking up the car to leave for Fort Smith, we realized our connection bracket was bent (most have hit a curb or large rock) and the sleeve for the cable on our Roadmaster Sterling tow bar would not fit.  Tim couldn't rebend the bracket with the tools with us, so we decided to remove them (cables) and get "C" hooks with cables that work just fine.  We have always questioned the blue cables that come with the RM Sterling system, so actually feel better with the new ones.  The drive from Glacier down #35 to #93 to #90 was beautiful.  Also we had not been on the stretch of #90 from Missoula to Bozeman....what a beautiful drive.

It was great fun; but now we are ready to do some fishing and to see our son and his family in Fort Smith.
Oh, forgot one thing......Huckleberry pie.............oh my, is that to die for.  It killed our diet.  I was thinking of bringing a pie to our daughter in law who loves berry pies; but was afraid it would be gone by the time we got to Fort Smith.

Picture attached to make it official.

Marsha~

Attachments

• ChuckMarshaMarie.jpg
    ChuckMarshaMarie.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57