Any travel nurses or other "travel to" workers out there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crayphish

Hi, my DH is thinking he will be a travel nurse when he finishes school.  I'm thinking an rv will be better than flying around and living in furnished places....

Thanks for your input!

Crayphish

Me too, I work for the auto industry and travel for months at a time.

its nice to have your own stuff and easier for pets. I pay $350 a month + electric here in Chattanooga tn where i'm on the new VW plant.

I've met a few traveling nurses in the campgrounds.

For me the only downside is that it's hard to locate a suitable campground close to work. I'm not too bad here but Louisville was hard and Kansas City was about 30 mins away and the best one closed in November. Also weather extremes can be a "challenge" Keeping warm/cool/dry requires more work and preparation on your part than an apartment.

I know we have some folks who do that. Hopefully they will see your message and respond.

Construction workers also do this sort of thing a lot. An RV is great for anybody who needs to go to where the work is.

Another pair of travel nurses just joined the Forum - see their Intro here:
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=33625.msg314372;topicseen#new

Hey Crayphish, the rv/5er/tt is the way to go. Been travel nursing for about 11yrs now, took a few to many yrs to realize that this was the way to go, but nevertheless I really believe its best for the gf and I. Did the condo/extended stay thing at first to get the hang of traveling but always wanted to pull my "house" with me. We have a 38' bunkhouse which is great with our 2 dogs plus the 1/2 bath in back comes in handy when getting ready for work as we both work the same shift.  The money is better and tax write off's and extra plus. We pick a place we wanna see look for the assingment and take off. We use about 5 different travel complanies so we have a better selection of assingments. After the DH graduates he'll need about 2yrs hospital experience and usually ACLS/TNCC for critical care positions, and your on the road. We've really enjoyed our way of life and think you will to. Really your getting paid to go camping, cant beat that with a stick. I you have any other questions on getting started PM us or post again.

I'm about to start traveling with the UA union out of ATL being a pipe welder / helper. I don't know what to expect, I'm from a little bitty town in south Georiga. I've been to ATLa few times but never got off of I-75 except for one time with the Lowndes high band, other than that no experience.

I build powerlines for a living and have been on the road for years now.  There are tons of union linemen like me on the road part time or full time.

You'll be in very good company.  We full time and travel a lot and have been amazed by the number of traveling workers in general and traveling nurses in specific.  I would also think a 5er might be a good choice for you... the down side being having to drive around the big truck once you get set up in camp.

Following retirement a few years ago we rented a cottage at the 3500 foot level of Haleakala... the large volcano on Maui in Hawaii.  The young couple in the cottage near us were traveling nurses and having a ball.  Amazing what you learn when you start traveling.

Best of luck.

Rick

Hi, John and I are Travel Nurses. We have a 34' Fleetwood storm and tow a Jeep now. One thing with having your own "housing" is that you will get a tax free housing allowance from the agency. It is usually more than it costs to have a nice full hook up site. You also don't have to move all your stuff every 13 weeks. So far we love it. It may be a problem finding a site close to your work, we have lucked out. Right now we are less than a mile from work!
Try it, you might like it.

I am new to being a traveler.  Not a nurse either.  I am a lab rat.  Currently on assignment in New Mexico.  Not using an rv yet but hotel living is getting old fast.  Right now, I would consider cooking a pot pie in an oven a luxury.  They just aren't the same out of a microwave.

I guess I was quite lucky.  Years back I was spending a lot of time in a nearby city.  I quickly found a motel with concrete block walls so no noise from the neighbours, separate bedroom and a kitchenette.  No oven but it had a stove, small fridge and microwave.  As it turned out I heard after about 5 or 6 years of staying there on and off that I was their best customer and had spent at least $40K there.  I now regret not purchasing a fifth wheel at the time but it started off as 3 or 4 days which just extended itself.  Besides fifth wheels don't do well in Alberta in November through March.

As it is now I get their best weekly rate even if I stay for a day.  They know I'm not going to trash the room.    :)

Back
Top Bottom