Weight distribution hitch adjustment with auto leveling suspension

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IrishBrewer

A friend of mine tows with a vehicle that has a self leveling suspension that uses nivomat shocks and he tows a large trailer so he installed a weight distribution system. 

Typically, the weight distribution system is supposed to be set up based on getting the compression of the front and rear suspensions equalized by measuring from the top of the tire to the wheel well at each of the four tires.  When this is achieved, you know you have selected the right link on the torsion bars.  However, when he went to do this on his self leveling suspension, he could hook it up to 3 or four different links and the suspension would level itself out.

Is there an alternate method to be used to make sure you have the optimal distribution of weight front to back for vehicles with an auto leveling suspension?  I've seen some recommendations for vehicles with air ride autoleveling where they say to temporarily disable the autoleveling to determine the proper setting but you cant disable the nivomat system.

I'd suggest to adjust the weight distribution hitch with the truck turned off or the automatic leveling turned off.  Once the truck is level with the WD hitch, the auto leveling system will not have any (or very little) work to do once activated.

From what I read of novimat, it is mechanical and the vehicle needs to move to level it.  Some have an small electric pump to adjust when parked, if it cannot be disabled, power can be cut to the pump by removing a fuse or disconnecting the battery.  That's pretty much a one time deal of the trailer is always loaded the same, which means the same chain link can be used every time once identified.

Yeap. Turn the self-leveling feature off before leveling out the trailer with the WD hitch mechanism. If necessary, remove the negative battery cable in the car to disable it. You only have to do the set-up procedure one time - after that you know what the proper setting on the WD is.

Back
Top Bottom