extended warranties

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angiesdamon

i know, i know, a touchy topic a lot of times. i'm finding that rv-ers are pretty split about them. i just know i've got bad luck and used motorhome, so an extended warranty is looking pretty good to me!

anybody have any thoughts about them? do you have one? if so, which plan and where'd you get it? (and did you get it cheap..because my husband and i are a frugal couple!)

thanks!

My GF and I paid $3400 for a 4 year 40,000 mile ex warranty on a 2006 Providence in 2009. In less than a year it paid out over $6000 in claims. New refer, slide motor, spotlight motor, new roof A/C, awning motor. RV repairs can add up pretty fast. But the best thing about them is the peace of mind. A new refer is $3000. That alone can pay for the warranty if it goes out.

Frugal yes, handy no! Unfortunately.

Seilerbird, did you purchase through the dealership or a separate agent? Your kind of breakdown sounds a lot like my kind of luck! Any more info you could offer would be awesome.

We got it from the dealership, but that is the wrong thing to do. Shop online for the best prices. There are a lot of companies offering them. It was through a company called something like UPC. But it ended up Good Sam was the actual underwriter. We had a $100 deductable for each job.

Great! I'm gonna start my research. I did already get a quote from Good Sam, pretty darn pricey, so we'll see.

Check our Resources (use the button up above) and there is an article on Extended Warranties and a list of agents.

Extended warranties (service contracts) are not cheap.  It's an insurance policy where the premiums have to cover the average RV repairs as well as administration expense, a sizable sales commission and a profit for the underwriter as well.

On the other hand, if you get a bad run of luck they can pay off. We bought one for our used 2004 coach and paid around $3200 for 5 years of coverage. So far it has paid out about $2500, so we may break even yet.  But we have also paid out $100 per event for deductible, so it's not a free ride.

On average, you will not recover your premiums - that's the way insurance works.

I have extended warranty on both the fifth wheel and tow vehicle....

Both have paid for themselves with three years to go on the policies.

I'm as far from average as you can get....If it moves, consumes exploding liquids or requires electricity and it's mine it will break. The four words I hate but usually hear are "never seen that before".

Peace of mind -- Priceless

Gary

>>On average, you will not recover your premiums - that's the way insurance works.<<

Not for the RV Forum folks, everyone here seems to come out ahead..... Makes me wonder how these companies stay in business paying out more than they take in.

angiesdamon said:
Frugal yes, handy no! Unfortunately.

Nobody is born handy.  You get that way by learning and experimenting... forums like these are a great place to start.  I mean sure you won't be replacing any engines or transmissions yourself, but a lot of items can be fixed in a driveway with a few tools and some time.  If you do not somewhat appreciate the habit of "tinkering" then think long and hard before RV ownership.  There will always be something that needs done, and shop visits can take your rig out of service for weeks/months if parts have to be ordered.  It's not usually like a car repair that is turned around in a day or two.

The previous owners had a Good Sam service plan on our rig, and it was $100/month give or take.  If you are a fulltimer (which they were) I could see that expense being somewhat justified.  I'm glad they had it, because it got the transmission rebuilt under that plan shortly before I bought it from them, but no way would I pay that kind of money.

SCR said:
I have extended warranty on both the fifth wheel and tow vehicle....

Both have paid for themselves with three years to go on the policies.

I'm as far from average as you can get....If it moves, consumes exploding liquids or requires electricity and it's mine it will break. The four words I hate but usually hear are "never seen that before".

Peace of mind -- Priceless

Your luck sounds a whole lot like mine. And that last thing you said, the peace of mind factor, I think that's really important.

I've gotten a few different quotes. Right now I'm leaning towards an Allegiance policy through an online wholesaler, www.wholesalewarranties.net. The guy I spoke to seemed to really know his stuff, which I like, and he sent us a copy of the contract. It seems like everything that could go wrong is covered, which I like. I'll let you guys know what I decide!

You're right about this being a subject of much debate, but I think you've gotten some good advice so far.  We purchased our first ever RV 3yrs ago... a new 40' diesel pusher.  We bought the extended wty and while it hasn't "paid for itself"... at least yet... it has given us a lot of peace of mind and did pay for a half dozen issues so far... including a new sattelite dish.  If we bought another coach tomorrow, I would probably buy one on line after shopping around.

You also got some good advice on learning how to become "handy".  I can't imagine anyone really enjoying the RV lifestyle over the long haul without also enjoying (or at least being capable of) maintaining and tinkering with their coach.  Don't be intimidated by it all.  Use the forums for help and dig in.

Good Luck...

Orick said:
You're right about this being a subject of much debate, but I think you've gotten some good advice so far.  We purchased our first ever RV 3yrs ago... a new 40' diesel pusher.  We bought the extended wty and while it hasn't "paid for itself"... at least yet... it has given us a lot of peace of mind and did pay for a half dozen issues so far... including a new sattelite dish.  If we bought another coach tomorrow, I would probably buy one on line after shopping around.

You also got some good advice on learning how to become "handy".  I can't imagine anyone really enjoying the RV lifestyle over the long haul without also enjoying (or at least being capable of) maintaining and tinkering with their coach.  Don't be intimidated by it all.  Use the forums for help and dig in.

Good Luck...

You're definitely right. I'm actually looking forward to getting my hands dirty. I've just got to get into the mindset that when I'm tinkering around with minor things, there's nothing I can do to really destroy things! Especially with my unassuming pink tool kit. I've already read through a lot of threads about the maintenance we've got to look forward to, even bookmarked a few that I know I'm going to need later on!

It's also good to hear that although your warranty has necessarily paid for itself, the peace of mind is still worth it.

Well, just thought I'd let everyone know that I went with an exclusionary policy, and I got it through WholesaleWarranties.net. Now we're off on our first RV adventure, with our Shih Tzu Shane, to California!

The best thing about an extended warranty is the peace of mind. I know this sounds crazy, but now that you have bought the warranty I hope you never have to use it.

Back
Top Bottom