Yesterdays window replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

howdymi

We were at the dealer yesterday to have 16 problem items taken care of on our Voyage bought new in April 2010.  The dealer did a great job yesterday (still 3 items not repaired, but that's not the dealers fault.  The dealer took care of some items that were not really warranty issues.  The main item on the list, a window that needed replacing because of moisture between the glass.  Winnebago gets a failing grade on this one.  We knew from day one the window needed replacing and the dealer ordered the window day one.  The window was well over a month before the dealer got it.  Due to travels we just returned to the dealer yesterday for repairs. 

The short story is the replacement window is slightly smaller than the original and Winnebago knew that.  Full body paint is applied after the windows are installed.  So the paint is only to the edges of the window frame.  When a smaller window is installed a gap of unpainted area is left to show.  The dealer called Winnebago expecting to hear have the area above the window repainted.  Well no deal, Winnebago told the dealer to put a large bead of butyl sealant over the unpainted area to cover it up.  Neither the dealer or I felt that was the correct fix and it would not look good.  The dealer is now trying to find a place that will repair the original window and then will reinstall it.  So some time down the road we are hoping to get our old repaired window put back in.   

Attachments

• P1030595.jpg
    P1030595.jpg
    494.4 KB · Views: 67
Yep, you are right on this one.  I am really pretty reasonable about most things and am willing to see the others point of view.  However I would be screaming like a wet hen on this one. And keep screaming until they would do anything to get rid of me.  If this was an old or out of warranty unit I would say tough luck. But on a new unit!?  No reason in the world that the window should not be perfect.  And they should make it that way regardless of the cost.

Sarge

I agree, the painting should be done. Sounds like you have a great dealer. The repaired window might well be the best solution. People that have had their windows repaired seem very happy with them. Can't believe Winnebago would suggest such a covwer up.

John Hilley said:
I agree, the painting should be done. Sounds like you have a great dealer. The repaired window might well be the best solution. People that have had their windows repaired seem very happy with them. Can't believe Winnebago would suggest such a cover up.

Yes the dealer has been great. They got us in for a list of fixes within just days of calling.  They remembered it was a 200 mile drive for us and worked hard to get things done so we could return home with the motorhome the same day.  I thought the offer to get the old frame rebuilt was very good of them.  I am in no way disappointed with the dealer and no way feel the dealer should foot the bill for paint repair.    I just wonder if Winnebago's CEO Robert Olson would accept a window repair on a new unit he owned that looked like mine does.  Robert is not in charge of the company, the bean counters are.

The bean counters may think they are in charge, but from my experience a good letter to the CEO works 99% of the time.  The letter should be polite, and to the point.  State your problem and tell him what it is that you expect. 

With a gap that large, I would also insist on a paint touch-up.  Caulk/sealant would not look good and it would be a sore point for you (or me if it was mine) every time the window was looked at.

Congratulation on having a great dealer!  You did good!

I agree with the others and, as someone who has been happy with Winnebago and supportive of them, am disappointed in their response on this one.  I would send that photo to Winnebago's CEO and ask him if the thinks a 3/4" bead of butyl goo would look right on your coach.  If your existing window can be repaired, that would be a good fix.  If not and your only choice is to use the smaller window, Winnebago should pay a qualified paint shop to do a correct repair.

Like a lot of RV parts vendors, the Attwood factory (makers of the windows) in eastern Iowa is shut down and Winnebago Industries went scrambling for a replacement supplier.  The new firm is Se Gi who agreed to not only supply new windows, but replacements for earlier models as well.  Unfortunately, the replacement windows don't have the same exterior frame dimensions as the Attwood versions.

My bud at Winne said they will pay to repair defective windows within the house warranty period, but apparently they don't want to get involved in any touch-up paint scenario.  So the choice seems to be get the window repaired on Winnie's dime, or go for a replacement and deal with the size issue yourself.

Oh crap, I can see it coming... the outer fixed pane of our bedroom window, the exit path in a fire, which requires stressed glass, was broken by kids playing some version of "ball" at the Three Rivers RV Park.  We took the coach to Tom's RV on June 3 and heard today that they had ordered the replacement window without "insurance backing"... I finally gave up on SFarm, Lynx and all the agents, checkers, double checkers, auditors, lawyers, form fanatics and answering machines and approved ordering the glass regardless.

I can see it now, it's not going to fit!!!!  After six weeks of this run-around, it's not going to fit...  they told me they could use the old window and replace the pane but it would take six more weeks to get the pane.  The summer will be over before I get the coach fixed. 

Thank goodness we stayed at a 5W rated by Woodall's RV park!  This message, while revealing on many levels and I appreciated the information, very much... is really discouraging.  Is it really true, We can't even build glass windows in this country anymore while unemployment is 10-20%.

I sincerely hope Cormac McCarthy's Pulitzer Prize winning novel/movie "The Road" is not a vision of the future.  We certainly won't need any new windows.

I know, it will all work out somehow...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom