Roof Repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark55

Hello, I am new to this forum and to RV'ing in general.  Here is my question.....I have a 2001 Forrest River which has been stored outside at Myrtle Beach SC for the past 6 years,  I am the new owner.  It is stored at a campground, and my plans are to leave it there so my family and I can go down and have a place to stay at the beach.  The roof appears to have been painted with Dicor within the last year or two.  Upon inspection of both the roof and interior I noted the following.  Water damage to the ceiling in the rear bathroom as well as the rear of the bunk bed beside the bathroom.  The damage is near the rear and basically the ceiling has krinkled up.  On the roof I Have a soft spot at the rear corner.  Maybe 18 inches by 18 inches.  I spoke to a local dealer about fixing the roof and he gave me a price of $2000-$2500.  I didn't pay much more than that for the trailer and I am looking for other ideas.  The camper doesn't get towed outside the campground and I figure I can replace the ceiling myself.  It doesn't have to be pretty either.  It has a new AC unit and overall in pretty nice inside with a slide out.  In researching the internet I came upon a product called Rubber Roof.  I can get enough to cover the entire roof for about $350.  Anyone have any experience with this product.  Even if it only lasts a few years I would be happy as I plan on going new in the next 3 or so years.  Any help or suggestions with other products is greatly appreciated.  I don't want to spend alot of money but do want to try and keep it dry.  As for the soft spot in the roof...I know it is probably rotted wood.  CAn I replace that from the inside of the trailer?

The soft spot would typically be repaired by cutting out that section from the outside and then recovering with EPDM and sealing the seams with caulk or Eternabond. 

Yes, you can re-coat the roof with any product suitable for EPDM rubber. I have no experience with the Rubber Roof product, but maybe somebody else here does.
Kool Seal makes a RVRubber Roof product and there are several other brands. 
http://www.koolseal.com/product_family.asp?family=elastomeric

There are some reports on re-roof projects in the RV Forum Library too.

Back
Top Bottom