LCD v DLP v plasma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wonder why your DLP eats bulbs so fast? My 43" Panasonic LCD Projector in the stick house is has 5 years on the original bulb. Ventilation has a big effect, and of course the actual hours of use. Ours gets to rest while we are on the road.  Estimated life for a DLP bulb is 8000 hours, so leaving it on 24/7 is not a good idea. But some people only get 1000-2000 hours per bulb, which sounds like your experience.

Actually there are some OLED TVs available now. Well sort of available - $2800 for a Sony 11 inch one at Amazon.

There have been small OLED displays around for quite a while and they are bright and sharp.
I have a MobiBlu MP3 player ( a one inch square cube @1 GB ) for about four years.

There is some info on OLED technology here http://www.oled-display.net/how-works-the-oled-technology

When the BB tech replaced the first bulb, he plugged his handy dandy machine into the TV and printed out some data. He said that bulbs in this model of TV were lasting less than 50% of their expected life. This, coupled with the fact that ours tends to be left on for long hours daily, led me to believe I couldn't expect much better from this set.

I have a 4+ year old 56" DLP Mitsubishi (on it's second bulb, $94 on-line) in the stick house that has been a great price performer.

Like Tom, I purchased it because it was the most "bang for the buck" at the time.  Sure, when compared to today's technological advancements, it has all the disadvantages that Fred mentioned, but some of us don't think we have to always have the very latest or the very best.

The picture has always been more than acceptable, but then I've never noticed that a poor picture had any effect on the score of a hockey or football game. 

I can guarantee that picture quality does nothing to improve the acceptability of an Obama photo op. ;) :D

Interesting Lou. The DLP we're getting rid of is a 62" Mitsubishi. Must use a different bulb, because the cheapest I've found online is $180. Do you see a noticeable deterioration in picture brightness over time? Ours would eventually get to the point that it was only viewable at night, even with the settings cranked up (which I'm sure reduced the lifetime of the bulb). When the bulb eventually died, we'd hear a loud 'pop'.

My Panasonic LCD projector has remained brilliant on brightness, color and contrast. Smaller (43") screen means a smaller bulb, I'm sure, but maybe the LCD projector is more efficient than the DLP?  Oh well, with LCD prices dropping rapidly, there is no need to choose a projector if buying now. Just go with LCD or LED. Even the second tier manufacturers are producing tvs with excellent specs and performance.

Tom, I honestly did not see the brightness deterioration of the first  bulb until it finally just refused to light up.  Of course, when I  installed the new bulb it was very noticeably brighter.  The current lamp is nearly two years old and, again, no noticeable deterioration. 

My set has three brightness levels and I set it on the mid level setting.  If I set it to maximum brightness, the ice surface, when watching a hockey game, will appear too bright for comfortable viewing.

I replaced only the lamp (used original housing).  I just checked and the price for my lamp ranges from $92 to $119 on various web sites.

Lou, sounds like I got a dog when I bought that Toshiba, but you obviously have had much better luck.

Meanwhile, although that 62" DLP was much thinner than our prior 40" Sony projection TV, the new 60" LED/LCD is only 1.2" thick and weighs only 68 lbs. Haven't decided if I'll hang in on the wall ot not.

The much thinner LCD would be a really nice improvement over my DLP.

You're probably right Don, but the DLP in question was in our stick house.

Yes we do Don, but we've never felt a tremor here in the 10 years we've had this house. The house and the street sit on an earth filled levee, and that seems to cushion the minor tremors that happen.

I had a big screen going out and had the repair man come out to the House. I was asking him about the different TVs and he told me he called plasma's throw away TVs. he said if you pay 4000. for one and it gos out most of the time it cost that much to fix it. He recommend I stay away from them

mike eddleman said:
I had a big screen going out and had the repair man come out to the House. I was asking him about the different TVs and he told me he called plasma's throw away TVs. he said if you pay 4000. for one and it gos out most of the time it cost that much to fix it. He recommend I stay away from them

If you research on the internet for Plasma vs. LCD articles, you will see that both technologies have a similar life expectancy, and both technologies have their pros and cons, is just a matter of what you want out of a TV set that is going dictate your freference. Many techs are like parrots, they just repeat what they hear others say, specially if they consider that "others" to be knowledgeable (trust me, I'm a tech as well, and see it everyday at work). As far as which one breaks more often, it depends on the quality control department of (insert brand here__________). It also varies from maquila to maquila within the same brand or company. Even the most prestigious brands have lemons coming out of assembly lines, so no one is exempt. Hence when you talk about "X" brand TV, there will always be people that praise them and people that damm them. Depending on who got the lemon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom