2008 Dodge Durango Tow Rating 8890...what can i safely tow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skyblueclipse

The durango has a tow package, cooling system, hemi engine, etc... I want to be able to safely tow anywhere I want to go :)... what is the heaviest and longest I should go?  I already purchased my travel trailer and I fear it is way too big and heavy....we are considering upgrading our tow vehicle...

What are you attempting to tow?  What is it's curb weight and gvwr?

In general terms you can tow 80%-90% of the max tow rating. That's a rough estimate to allow for passengers and gear in the tow vehicle, weight of the hitch and a bit of safety margin.  I'd use the 80% figure if towing in the Western US mountains and 90% elsewhere.

The tow rating is based on a tow vehicle that is empty except for fuel and a 154 lb driver. Any additional weight in the tow vehicle has to be subtracted from the max tow rating. And I personally would not want to drive a Durango at its max capacity either - the performance would likely be mediocre.

As for length, it is probably not critical. Most any trailer wheel base (hitch to trailer axle) is going to be longer than the Durango wheel base and  the amount of extra is not a big factor.

Back
Top Bottom